All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:13 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

http://capitalstoday.monumentalnetwork. ... rotz-coach

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:25 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

A team built around Alex Ovechkin makes about the safest, most conservative move it can make. So much for changing the culture.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:48 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Av-merican wrote:
A team built around Alex Ovechkin makes about the safest, most conservative move it can make. So much for changing the culture.
Yup no bold statements made here. Even with the coaching - meh.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:27 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

What are they supposed to do? Ovi's a coach killer, but he's their franchise player. Trade him and have the fans go ape shit?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:32 am 

I'm excited to see Trotz coach an actual talent up front while having somewhat limited options on the back end.

MacLellan is an unknown, except apparently he's the laziest man in the NHL!

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014 ... e/related/

Maybe he knows they need centres and stuff but he'd rather order in Chinese food and binge watch Breaking Bad.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:50 am 
Big in Japan

This team needed an outside hire. I really thought they were going to make a push to bring Poile back, and have Fenton take over the Preds.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:10 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
What are they supposed to do? Ovi's a coach killer, but he's their franchise player. Trade him and have the fans go ape shit?

He may be a bit of a prima donna, but he's only "killed" one coach. The other two (Oates, Hanlon) were incompetent.

Still, the team wants to build a defense-first squad so Ovechkin can do whatever. It will never work. The team was better off trying to build around him instead of trying to build in spite of him.

In the end, this is Ted's show, and he wants someone he can control.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:26 pm 
OTP Historian

Awesome line from Justin Bourne:

Quote:
Justin Bourne ‏@jtbourne 6m
If youre as AGM interviewing for the job of the ex-GM youve been working w/, can only get it by saying you didnt agree w/ a lotta moves, ya?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:59 pm 

I used to think Ted was one of the better owners in the NHL. Oops. Turns out he's every bit as bad, if not worse, than Ed Snider.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:16 pm 

The more I think about it, the more I think Ted let GMGM's contract expire so he could save a few bucks and just promote the AGM at a lower price.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:11 pm 

Well, I assume they paid up on Trotz, at the very least.

Lambert loves the Trotz hire, but he gets very un-Lambert like and longwinded in doing so:

http://deadspin.com/barry-trotz-is-just ... socialflow

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:53 pm 

Hunter? Ovi's caused a few coaches to leave, one way or another.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:19 pm 

Chris18 wrote:

Okay, THREE incompetent coaches then.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:28 am 

Av-merican wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Okay, THREE incompetent coaches then.

Thank you! :lol:

I guess it's not Ovi's fault that the GM hired incompetent coaches, but he certainly doesn't do much to help them succeed. I used to like his antics a little, but they've gone way too far. Not Caps related, but the throat slash gesture after winning the World Championship was just moronic and classless. Have a positive +/- for a year and get back to everyone Ovi. Until then, stop the childish BS and play hard. In both ends of the ice. Do you need a GPS to find the defensive end? Ah, that's cute, you're jumping into the boards after scoring a PP goal. You should throw yourself in headfirst after being a -1 on a 5-5 shift!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:43 am 

Chris18 wrote:
Thank you! :lol:

I guess it's not Ovi's fault that the GM hired incompetent coaches, but he certainly doesn't do much to help them succeed. I used to like his antics a little, but they've gone way too far. Not Caps related, but the throat slash gesture after winning the World Championship was just moronic and classless. Have a positive +/- for a year and get back to everyone Ovi. Until then, stop the childish BS and play hard. In both ends of the ice. Do you need a GPS to find the defensive end? Ah, that's cute, you're jumping into the boards after scoring a PP goal. You should throw yourself in headfirst after being a -1 on a 5-5 shift!

Not only have they hired incompetent coaches since Boudreau, they pretty much gutted what was a very good roster because of one bad first round loss.

Ovechkin is still probably the best guy there is in the NHL at putting the puck in the net. He coasted on a bad team and still somehow managed to score 8 more goals than the next best guy (Corey Perry, if you're wondering). I'll take his half-assed play over most players' full-assed play. If you can't build around a guy like that, you don't deserve to be an NHL GM.

Unfortunately the Caps don't exactly have a ton of cap room next year.

I have a bad feeling though that Trotz is gonna do what Oates did and play Jay Beagle and Jason Chimera an ungodly amount of minutes and use Ovi sparingly. Then again, he may get more out of Backstrom than anyone did beforehand. Trotz is a good coach, but to me he was the "safe" hire, and not what the Caps needed.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:20 pm 

Av-merican wrote:

I have a bad feeling though that Trotz is gonna do what Oates did and play Jay Beagle and Jason Chimera an ungodly amount of minutes and use Ovi sparingly. Then again, he may get more out of Backstrom than anyone did beforehand. Trotz is a good coach, but to me he was the "safe" hire, and not what the Caps needed.

To me Trotz is still a mystery. He's never really had top offensive talent and may have been sitting in Nashville for years dreaming up schemes of what he would do when they finally acquired some. We'll soon find out if he is a good defensive coach that will force the players to play to his strengths, or if he is a great coach and can adjust his strategy to the players he has.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:43 pm 
OTP Historian

People seem to forget just how great guys like Kariya and Steve Sullivan were under Trotz. JP Dumont? Jason Arnott? Look at what happened to Martin Erat after he was out of Nashville. How about Timmonen and Zdlicky?

The forwards I listed above were not elite offensive talents but all had career years in their early to mid thirties(except Kariya, but he sure had big career renaissance. Sullivan continued a ppg pace). Where is this idea coming from that Trotz is unable to work with offensive players?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:00 pm 

Yeah, he also had a pretty dynamic offense built around Radulov. Trotz knows a thing or two about offense, even though he was partially responsible for the overload of grinders currently on the Preds (to be fair though, they came on pretty strong once they finally had a real goaltender this season).

Unfortunately, one thing he doesn't have in Washington is a dynamic, talented defense. Well, they don't suck, but it's not elite like Shea Weber is elite. And Roman Josi ain't no slouch either. He also has to deal with a mess of a goalie situation--hopefully since they hired a guy in-house he realizes Oates screwed up royally by ousting the last goalie coach and rectifies it. Is Olie the Goalie still with the team or was he booted along with Oates? He should have been.

Here's the real problem though. The Caps are a pretty lousy team, even on paper. And it ain't like they have a ton of cap room either. Unless Grabo comes back (hey, someone mentioned on Twitter both he and Trotz hate the Kostitsyn brothers, so they have that in common), Backstrom stays healthy, Ovechkin doesn't land in the doghouse, Kuznetsov hits the ground running, Holtby recovers from Oates' meddling, and Green/Laich actually make it through an entire season, Trotz will have his work cut out for him.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:14 pm 

Quote:
RT @bmcnally14: Brian MacLellan w/ some interesting comments on D Mike Green. Said there were some "circumstances" that might have hindered his performance

Quit being evasive and just fucking tell us. Did he pull a Redden?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:23 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Quote:
RT @bmcnally14: Brian MacLellan w/ some interesting comments on D Mike Green. Said there were some "circumstances" that might have hindered his performance

Quit being evasive and just fucking tell us. Did he pull a Redden?

?