OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: What now?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:12 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 21342
Time to start this one with the Ovi/Backstrom-less Caps losing to the Sens 4-0 currently.

What has McPhee done so far? Declared that Roman Hamrlik is up for grabs! Oh joy.

The funny part? Tom Poti is STILL SIGNED for another year!

Pretty certain this is George McPhee's Swan Song. Does he deserve the axe? IMO, no, but I can't imagine Leonsis is going to sit idly by and not make a head or two roll. No doubt in my mind though that the Caps send Dale Hunter back to juniors where he belongs. What's more, I'm reading Evgeny Kuznetsov appears even more money-hungry and reluctant to leave the KHL than Alex Semin.

The good news for Washington is that they have quite a bit of cap room this offseason, and a lot of key young players. Unfortunately in order to make these guys a contender you gotta get Ovechkin to care again and somehow get full, productive seasons out of Green and Backstrom. Not sure that's possible anymore.

I could honestly see the Caps hiring Randy Carlyle...that'd be kooky beyond words.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:54 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 21342
McPhee's gotta be the most stressed-out guy in the NHL right now. Kuznetsov just rejected the first KHL offer that just came his way. I suppose he's telling them "If you don't want me to bolt for the NHL, then you gotta go BIG."

Oh, and Roman Hamrlik had some choice words for Dale Hunter after finding out he was a healthy scratch because he committed a dumb penalty:

Quote:
“You should ask him about the penalties because when he played, I think he make lots of penalties himself. He should know better,”


http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cap ... _blog.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:06 pm 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 10456
Location: 'Real City
Nash for Green.

Or something like that.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:24 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9643
Av-merican wrote:
McPhee's gotta be the most stressed-out guy in the NHL right now. Kuznetsov just rejected the first KHL offer that just came his way. I suppose he's telling them "If you don't want me to bolt for the NHL, then you gotta go BIG."


Russian prospects follow the same restricted entry-level contract rules as other draftees, I believe. There's only so much the Caps can give him for his rookie contract.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:34 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 21342
Bosc wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
McPhee's gotta be the most stressed-out guy in the NHL right now. Kuznetsov just rejected the first KHL offer that just came his way. I suppose he's telling them "If you don't want me to bolt for the NHL, then you gotta go BIG."


Russian prospects follow the same restricted entry-level contract rules as other draftees, I believe. There's only so much the Caps can give him for his rookie contract.


I'm betting the KHL has no such limitations. Of course Kuznetsov has said he'll stay if he gets a 10-year deal. I imagine even the kooky gun-toting owners there are a tad reluctant to do that.



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:51 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9643
Av-merican wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
McPhee's gotta be the most stressed-out guy in the NHL right now. Kuznetsov just rejected the first KHL offer that just came his way. I suppose he's telling them "If you don't want me to bolt for the NHL, then you gotta go BIG."


Russian prospects follow the same restricted entry-level contract rules as other draftees, I believe. There's only so much the Caps can give him for his rookie contract.


I'm betting the KHL has no such limitations. Of course Kuznetsov has said he'll stay if he gets a 10-year deal. I imagine even the kooky gun-toting owners there are a tad reluctant to do that.



Sorry, since you said McPhee must be stressed, I read that as 'I suppose he's telling them "If you don't want me to bolt for the KHL, then you gotta go BIG."'

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:13 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 21342
Bosc wrote:
Sorry, since you said McPhee must be stressed, I read that as 'I suppose he's telling them "If you don't want me to bolt for the KHL, then you gotta go BIG."'


Yeah, I'm imagining him with a phone calling other GMs in one hand, and hitting the "Refresh" button on Slava Malamud's Twitter feed with the other. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:08 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 21342
Keeps getting better and better. Kuznetsov goes down HARD in a KHL game and is likely gone for the season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... um=twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:21 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 21342
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... um=twitter

The photo with the "confused" player is hilarious. :laugh:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:59 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 21342
So...I think this premature thread was more responsible for the Caps making it as far as they did rather than Braden Holtby, so, you're welcome, Capitals.

Anyhow, who here thinks Alexander Semin remains in the NHL next year?

Who will be the Caps next coach? Will Bruce Cassidy and Ron Wilson get calls?

Oh, and a slightly less intriguing question: Where does Tomas Vokoun go now?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:19 pm 
Offline
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:13 pm
Posts: 10820
Location: Saskabush
The NHL has hit a low if the collective wisdom of its management thinks that adding a 35+ goal scorer like Semin is too risky to invest in.

Vokoun should go to Chicago.

I still maintain the best available Head Coaches are Jacques Martin and maybe Davis Payne.

_________________
Injustice? Cobain died and Eddy Fucking Vedder lived to haunt us with his shitty fucking voice, trite lyrics and his Eddy Vedderness.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:23 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 7318
Vokoun should go to Philly.

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:25 am 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 21342
Semin had a meet-and-greet scheduled with fans and media in Russia. He overslept.

http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/528397


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:51 am 
Offline
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:51 pm
Posts: 3318
Location: Ottawa, ON
Av-merican wrote:
Semin had a meet-and-greet scheduled with fans and media in Russia. He overslept.

http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/528397

In Russia I imagine they call him the "engimatic Krasnoyarsker".

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:08 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 21342
Caps sign Wojtek Wolski to a one-year deal. Good luck with that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:20 pm 
Offline
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:13 pm
Posts: 10820
Location: Saskabush
Av-merican wrote:
Caps sign Wojtek Wolski to a one-year deal. Good luck with that.

$600k for that level of skill is a hell of a deal.

_________________
Injustice? Cobain died and Eddy Fucking Vedder lived to haunt us with his shitty fucking voice, trite lyrics and his Eddy Vedderness.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:22 pm 
Offline
Old Man of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:53 pm
Posts: 6238
Location: Inside your computer
saskhab wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Caps sign Wojtek Wolski to a one-year deal. Good luck with that.

$600k for that level of skill is a hell of a deal.

I thought so, too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:01 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 21342
saskhab wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Caps sign Wojtek Wolski to a one-year deal. Good luck with that.

$600k for that level of skill is a hell of a deal.


Agreed, just sayin'...between his injuries and general lack of interest, it's always a question as to whether you'll actually see that skill on any given night.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:31 pm 
Offline
Old Man of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:53 pm
Posts: 6238
Location: Inside your computer
Biggest hockey story this week: Ward learns that you shouldn't :flashfap: after hernia surgery.

Quote:
"I was being a single male laying in bed like that, I figured I'd try to relieve myself a little bit. Well, sure enough I got a nerve that kinda connect from my seeds us to my scarring that slowly prevents me from relieving myself.

... It was like a dog-choker, just like a zap... zoop."

... So of course I panicked and called the doc. He's like, "You just had surgery, come on."

:haha:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:41 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 7318
Wow. Just. Wow.

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group