OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Playoffs 2024
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:10 pm 

Silovs vs DeSmith. DeSmith was great in game 3. Silovs was steady, didn't steal the game but did what he was supposed to. However he didn't give up the rebounds that DeSmith did. I can't help but think any team is going to adjust and take advantage of DeSmith if they see him more than once. It would probably be better if they at least rotate the both of them. Besides gives the team a good idea if they can rely on Silovs as next years backup and let DeSmith go.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:19 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Fogghorn wrote:
that 2nd goal. Zadorov down on top of the crease setting screens. McDonagh giving him a cross check trying to move him from in front of the goal, it was like he was trying to move an oak tree. Big Z boxed out both McDonagh and Nyquist preventing them from getting to Boeser. No assist but that goal doesn't happen without his presence.

Makes me wonder, why are they not using him on the power play? Big Z is just immovable, setting a massive screen. Its a completely different look for the Nucks, and I think it could be really effective to drastically change the structure of their power play at times.

Have Colorado or Calgary ever tried using him like this?

I don't believe Big Z was used much on the power play. He has a pretty heavy shot but isn't great at getting it through traffic, and the couple instances that stand out to me when he was ripping one-timers from the point are the two times his stick exploded, leading to a rush and goal the other way both times. I'm positive Bednar did not use him as a screen down low...perhaps he should have, but he also had more skilled options back then to create traffic in front.

I'll give Zads credit, he has definitely evolved into a smarter player.

I turned the game off when it was 3-1 because the toddler was demanding to watch something else, I look online later to see it went to OT (!!!) and then tuned in to watch the Canucks win it. So surreal. That has to be the single worst loss in NSH franchise history. And the OT winner scored no less as the direct result of a complete defensive breakdown with Ryan effin' O'Reilly on the ice.

I thought I read/heard somewhere that the Canucks are setting an NHL record for fewest shots on goal in three playoff victories so far. Say what you will but the Canucks are getting it done in the postseason exactly how they got it done in the regular season. It's working, though I'm not really sure how.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:23 pm 

The Canuck's have been regularly out shot through out the season. Despite that they usually out chance, and almost always have the higher number of high danger chances. In the last three games its been Nucks: Preds high danger chances 16-10, 3-5, 9-5. Its how they do it, but its been a bit extreme in this series and they don't usually get hammered in possession like they did yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:36 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
The Canuck's have been regularly out shot through out the season. Despite that they usually out chance, and almost always have the higher number of high danger chances. In the last three games its been Nucks: Preds high danger chances 16-10, 3-5, 9-5. Its how they do it, but its been a bit extreme in this series and they don't usually get hammered in possession like they did yesterday.

It's an extraordinarily dangerous way to live, but they're getting it done nonetheless.

No matter how many Cups Colton Sissons wins from here on out, he will be replaying that missed empty net shot in his head for the rest of his life.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:02 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

It's an extraordinarily dangerous way to live, but they're getting it done nonetheless.

No matter how many Cups Colton Sissons wins from here on out, he will be replaying that missed empty net shot in his head for the rest of his life.

North Vancouver boy. I'm sure his friends won't let him forget even if he tried. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:25 pm 

Joshua + Garland are better than the the sum of their parts. Lindholm just seemed kinda of out of sync with the two of them for the first few games. Tonight I'm noticing them as a threesome more and more. This could be a very good line if they get another round or two to play together.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 12:23 am 

Zzzzzman! Bet Saros wishes he was a few inches taller.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:29 am 

2nd goal should have been goalie interference. Still the Nucks really sucked in the 2nd period after dominating the first period.

Pettersson finally looked like he belonged out there, even if he didn't get the results. Hoglander is looking good for three games now. Lafferty belongs on the 4th line, Mikheyev when he shoots either hits the goalie directly in the chest or misses the net, he's just got no luck at all. Suter, slow feet, slow shot, small body yet despite the physical limitations he seems to always know were to be to make a play either defensively or offensively. Just wish he had better hand coordination to be able to put the puck in the net.

No idea what to expect for game 6. The Nucks looked bad for 57 minutes of game 4, and same for 2nd period. They seem to be trending down.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:35 pm 

Rick Tocchet is a bad coach, and the chief reason he is can be summed up in three words: He's too conservative.

You have GOT to challenge that. I know damn well what's at stake if the bobbleheads in Toronto rule against you while you're already down a man, but he just needed to look at what happened the night before in Florida. Two separate times a Bolts player made his way into the paint without being pushed and both times, the goal got called back. In that instance Josi swoops right in unobstructed and practically knocks down Silovs...you've got to take the chance.

Vancouver may emerge from this series, frankly they should as they are the better team by a substantial margin. But I think the coach has made calls that have hindered his team rather than helped them, and this is an example.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:40 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Rick Tocchet is a bad coach, and the chief reason he is can be summed up in three words: He's too conservative.

You have GOT to challenge that. I know damn well what's at stake if the bobbleheads in Toronto rule against you while you're already down a man, but he just needed to look at what happened the night before in Florida. Two separate times a Bolts player made his way into the paint without being pushed and both times, the goal got called back. In that instance Josi swoops right in unobstructed and practically knocks down Silovs...you've got to take the chance.

Vancouver may emerge from this series, frankly they should as they are the better team by a substantial margin. But I think the coach has made calls that have hindered his team rather than helped them, and this is an example.

That is the 2nd time. To me the goal in game 3 was even more obvious. DeSmith could not slide to the left, Preds player with skate in the blue blocking him, and they didn't challenge.

Canucks have been great against the Preds power play. He should have challenged both.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 5:08 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
That is the 2nd time. To me the goal in game 3 was even more obvious. DeSmith could not slide to the left, Preds player with skate in the blue blocking him, and they didn't challenge.

Canucks have been great against the Preds power play. He should have challenged both.

Yep, and that's what bothers me most about Tocchet. For a guy who played with reckless abandon on the ice and has bluster and bravado to spare, he sure does seem to play it safe in many aspects of his coaching. That is not to say he hasn't been outstanding in other respects, but his tactics and decision-making are questionable.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 8:12 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

Yep, and that's what bothers me most about Tocchet. For a guy who played with reckless abandon on the ice and has bluster and bravado to spare, he sure does seem to play it safe in many aspects of his coaching. That is not to say he hasn't been outstanding in other respects, but his tactics and decision-making are questionable.
Company guy.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:36 pm 

Pew Pew for the win. Suter is pretty much everything a hockey player shouldn't be. Slow feet, slow shot, small. However that guy is always in position either offensively or defensively. He can be a psuedo fill in winger on the top line, or defensive centre on the third and fourth line. He can be used pretty much anywhere.

If he had Boeser's hands, he'd have 5 goals this series, he's had some amazing opportunities. Its really too bad that he is not above average in any way physically but his mind and anticipation will always make him worth having on the team. And at $1.6 million, he's kind of a steal.

Silovs was great. Got the shut out, and I think the debate over if he is ready to be the backup next year is over. Its his, and DeSmith will be gone.

Coilers up next. I don't see the Nucks getting past them but they have some problems too, so we'll see.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 11:21 am 

More on Suter.

Quote:
Here’s the thing: as much as Suter was failing to finish on so many scoring chances, the fact that he was getting so many scoring chances in the first place is a good thing. He led the Canucks with 15 high-danger chances in this series, according to Natural Stat Trick, which is second so far in the playoffs among all skaters. That doesn’t just happen by accident.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canu ... -6-8698000

2 goals...........should have been a lot more. If he continues like this in the next series but can convert on a more reasonable rate of chances, its 5 goals and could be the difference between winning and losing vs the Oilers

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 11:17 pm 
Vegemite Enthusiast

WooHoo thru to the second round! Zed has been my favourite player this round and I'm REALLY struggling with Foggy's question if we can't sign both him and Hronek but I'm hoping we can, and looking at how Bear has worked out and just putting my faith in management.

Silovs has been terrific so hopefully he can just keep rolling and so will the team!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 1:21 am 

:D :beer:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 9:52 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: wowee wow wow wow

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 1:31 pm 

Canucks down 2-0, then 4-1 but they just kept coming. Edmonton was pretty lucky last night to get 4. Canucks dominated possession and 11-5 in high danger chances.

Is the Canucks 3 string goalie better than the Oilers #1?

Oilers are so good on the power play, its scary. Their top 5 players are so damn good. Then after that, really really not much to worry about. They have a horrible time getting it out of their own end. I thought this was something the Canucks were weak at, but the Oilers were horrible.

If Edmonton doesn't do a lot better than that, this is over in 5 games. I'll give them one just because McDavid and Draistl but as a team as a whole they did not look good.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 4:43 pm 

The Oilers' 2nd pairing of Darnell Nurse and Cody Ceci got absolutely WRECKED by the Canucks, especially the Joshua-Lindholm-Garland line. Less than 32% of the shot share while on the ice. That's monstrously bad. If I were Knoblauch I'd shelter those two into oblivion and take my chances with increasing the minutes of the Ekholm-Bouchard and Kulak-Desharnais pairings.

And yes, IMO Silovs is better than Stuart Skinner. Someone is gonna be trying to knock down the Canucks' door to get him.

Yet another great quote from Nikita Zadorov (by way of Rick Tocchet):

https://twitter.com/RandipJanda/status/ ... _&ref_url=

Also, it wasn't caught on video but I guess when the Oilers were up, Paul Coffey turned to a heckler in the stands and made fun of his turban, then the Canucks proceeded to come back and win the game. Wonder if anything will come of that.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 5:31 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:

And yes, IMO Silovs is better than Stuart Skinner. Someone is gonna be trying to knock down the Canucks' door to get him.

Tolopilo first year in the AHL and was definitely equal to Silovs. There were strong arguments that he actually deserved the call up before Silovs but he had zero games in the NHL and didn't have the high pressure experience of playing and performing well like Silovs in the worlds last year.

There is so many teams who desperately need goalies, I would be okay with trading Silovs knowing Tolopilo is right there. I just don't know what sort of return he'd bring, and if that is worth it. Canucks have cap issues, the 600k difference in salary from DeSmith to Silovs has value as well.