OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Playoffs 2024
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:55 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

What a beast Zadorov was in Game 1! I thought we were done at 2-1 I must confess but this team just keeps surprising me. How good was the PK after allowing the first one? sorry I just finished watching so this has probably been covered in lots of other places. Off to read now some now!
Didn't want to turn the playoff thread into a canucks discussion

Post subject: Re: Playoffs 2024
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:37 am 

CanuckinOz wrote:
What a beast Zadorov was in Game 1! I thought we were done at 2-1 I must confess but this team just keeps surprising me. How good was the PK after allowing the first one? sorry I just finished watching so this has probably been covered in lots of other places. Off to read now some now!
Didn't want to turn the playoff thread into a canucks discussion

Good call. I figured our activity rate would be so small we might as well have just one "general playoff" thread for everyone, so I didn't bother making a new thread. With the returnee's we'd probably overwhelm the thread with Canucks banter.

Zadorov is built for playoff hockey. I've been anticipating this ever since the trade. The other guy who's game and build is perfect for the playoffs is Joshua. If the Nucks go deep and he plays the way I think he will, he could earn enough attention to get $4 mill a year in FA. On the other hand, so much of his game seems to improve with Garland, maybe he'll take a discount to keep playing with him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:02 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

yeah I really wanted to get Joshua signed pre playoffs cause I think his stock is only going to rise, didn't really think of Zadorov as well or even imagine I would consider keeping Myers. We're going to have to make some decisions but for now I hope we can enjoy the ride!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:06 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

Don't know what will happen with Garland either, gut feel is he's done as a canuck even as a fan fave but maybe he stays for less?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:24 am 

CanuckinOz wrote:
Don't know what will happen with Garland either, gut feel is he's done as a canuck even as a fan fave but maybe he stays for less?

Garland does turn FA until the end of the 2026 season.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:42 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

Oh cool, my bad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:05 pm 

It seems like Demko is injured and won’t play tonight and is questionable for the rest of the series. That would be a huge blow to the Canucks and their chances.

Per Seravalli tweet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:53 pm 

Damn, have to assumed he has reinjured whatever he was healing from. Which would mean no more Demko for the playoffs. Nucks can still beat the Preds without Demko but they won't go any further. DeSmith is a fine back up, but I think they'd be better off putting Silov's in net. I'm not sure if he's even ready to be an NHL backup but out of the two of them I'd guess he's more likely to go on a real hot streak.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:45 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Damn, have to assumed he has reinjured whatever he was healing from. Which would mean no more Demko for the playoffs. Nucks can still beat the Preds without Demko but they won't go any further. DeSmith is a fine back up, but I think they'd be better off putting Silov's in net. I'm not sure if he's even ready to be an NHL backup but out of the two of them I'd guess he's more likely to go on a real hot streak.

I agree regarding Silovs. While the sample size is small at 9 games over the past 2 seasons, the Canucks have played better defensively with him in goal than with any other goalie in the past 2 seasons. The quality of opponents he has faced are a good mix, including NYR, PHI, STL, BOS, NAS, ANA, ARI X2, and VGK. The Canucks can still score enough goals to win if they play extra tight defensively.

This season and last, between Martin, Delia, DeSmith, Demko and himself, Silovs has faced the least SOG/g, least xGA/60, least HD shots against/60, and highest average shot distance. His results reflect that, with the lowest GAA, 2nd best SV%, 2nd best goals saved above average, and 2nd lowest HDSV%. Silovs’ MVP performance at last season’s World Championship demonstrated that he can rise under pressure. Has DeSmith ever had a run like that anytime before? I realize that WHC is not the NHL playoffs, but it’s significant that he can deal effectively with high pressure situations.

Either way, Tocchet should not hesitate to use the other goalie should one struggle. I also agree that this series is winnable without Demko, but will need him back if they want to go farther.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:29 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Guess we'll see just what kind of coach Tocchet can be, he still has a ton of talent at his disposal but his big safety net is now gone.

Petey at least acknowledged that he has to play better. Unreal he missed a wide open net like that. He NEVER does that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:58 pm 
Vegemite Enthusiast

yeah Petey is really just trying too hard, knows that all eyes are on him with the big contract and desperately wants to prove he's worth it I think. Once he gets one and relaxes a little I think it will all be ok.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:00 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

Also agree with Foggy that we outplayed them last game and were mostly just unlucky. Still confident we can win this series and hopeful that Demko injury isn't too serious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:26 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Speculation running rampant but now I'm hearing Demko's out for the playoffs. That's devastating if true.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:03 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Speculation running rampant but now I'm hearing Demko's out for the playoffs. That's devastating if true.

That's supposedly false. I'm not sure it really matters though. All the rumours are pointing at end of 2nd round or in the 3rd round. Either way I don't see this team getting past the Oilers without him.

And I just keep reminding myself this was a team that was not expected to make the playoffs. Even if they lose to Nashville and I'm pretty sure they won't, its been a fantastic year.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:45 pm 

Strange game, Canucks were out shot 29-12 and yet I still think they deserved the win. Despite being out shot 14-10 over the first two periods they were dominant in possession and high scoring chances. Definitely deserved their 2-0 lead.

I hate it when they try to protect to the lead, I don't think this team is that good at doing that but they did it. Got out shot 15-2. DeSmith was very good, and the one goal he gave up should have been an interference call. Nashville player was in the crease, and his foot prevented DeSmith from sliding, you can see the contact.

And based on this game, I was wrong to want Silov's in, DeSmith was very good.

Good win on the road. I expect another win Sunday.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:39 am 

More thoughts. It's only 3 games but what I said months ago that the Canucks defense is built for playoff hockey seems to be true. The size of Myers, Zadorov, Soucy and to a lesser extent Cole is perfect for playoff hockey. They've been good. Based on this small sample size if they can only afford to sign either Hronek at $8 mil or Zadorov at $5 mil it should be Zadorov. Hronek will help the team in the regular season a lot more, but Zadorov has been really good in the playoffs. Besides his personality has grown on me. Quickly defends his team mates, takes full responsibility for his errors, gives some great quotes, and a lot of swagger. I like him a lot.

DeSmith gives up a tonne of rebounds. It worries me, I think teams are going to adjust and take advantage of that. Good back up but probably a problem in playoff hockey where teams see the goalie in consecutive games.

EP40 looked a bit less lost but is still not playing like he should. JT Miller is once again the engine driving offense, and doing everything well defensively. He is just such a great player. Can't believe I ever preferred Horvat. I noticed Hoglander last night, he's been getting very few minutes, and doing very little with the time he has, but better for one game at least.

And the Preds were all over Hughes last night. He took a beating but still got two assists. As small as he is, you'd have to think if the Nucks ever have a long playoff run, its going to wear him down.