OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:54 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Fogghorn wrote:
Sad to see Pearson go, he was a consummate team guy but glad it was an older player and not one of the younger players.

Agreed. Great middle 6 guy but I don't know how much he has left in the tank after being on LTIR these two years or so... Was great on Horvat's wing and backchecking presence...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:07 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

They touched upon the Pearson trade in a recent 32 Thoughts podcast, and Friedman said what everyone else was thinking--there was no way for that marriage to continue after what went down. Pearson made it clear he thought the Nux medical staff mishandled his wrist injury with a series of surgeries that later led to a career-threatening infection--even Quinn Hughes made his displeasure of the situation known. I didn't know this but I guess Vancouver made some serious changes to that department this offseason, but the damage was already done.

Either way, it was a bad idea to extend that guy in the first place, he should've been dealt for whatever they could get for him on the previous expiring contract. Now they have to throw in a draft pick to get rid of him, but they got a halfway decent veteran 2/3 goalie (I personally despise DeSmith but character issues aside I suppose that was a decent pickup).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:28 pm 

Sam Lafferty, 28, 12 goals and 27 points in 70 games

And once again the Canuck's trade away a draft pick for veteran help. I don't get this trade at all. It's only a 5th round pick, but they just added $1.5 million to their cap for a winger they don't need. The team can not find room on the roster for Hoglander, they have Joshua, Aman, Studnika as well and Bains sounds like in a pinch he could be used. How the f are young guys supposed to get playing time. Unless they have another trade in the works, and they're planning on shipping out a couple wingers, I really don't get this.

https://canucksarmy.com/news/patersons- ... -preseason

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:40 pm 
Big in Japan

The trade itself is a good deal: Nucks trade a mostly inconsequential pick for a solid bottom sixer. But why are the Nucks always obsessed with adding depth guys and blocking young players? Lafferty would've been great on a team with higher aspirations, but Vancouver ain't the place.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:06 pm 

E.L. wrote:
The trade itself is a good deal: Nucks trade a mostly inconsequential pick for a solid bottom sixer. But why are the Nucks always obsessed with adding depth guys and blocking young players? Lafferty would've been great on a team with higher aspirations, but Vancouver ain't the place.

And they gave up cap space at a time when its of premium value. This team just keeps doing this. They under value picks and space. I know its only a 5th rounder, but over the years when you're giving away lower round picks year after year, well several of them combined will probably have an NHL player among them. IF they had made this trade for a 3rd pairing RHD I'd be pleased, fill in their weakness, don't add another to their strength which is wing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:29 am 

Boeser with 4 goals and still 14 minutes to play. Can he get 5. Do the Canucks still have that gimmiky $1 mil random lottery give away if a player scores 5 goals?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:47 am 

8-1 now, Miller with 1 goal and 4 assists, and the 4th line gets into the action. Joshua with a goal and Lafferty and Hoglander getting the assists. 3 minutes left, still hoping for a fiver for Boeser

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:34 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

Fogghorn wrote:
E.L. wrote:

And they gave up cap space at a time when its of premium value. This team just keeps doing this. They under value picks and space. I know its only a 5th rounder, but over the years when you're giving away lower round picks year after year, well several of them combined will probably have an NHL player among them. IF they had made this trade for a 3rd pairing RHD I'd be pleased, fill in their weakness, don't add another to their strength which is wing.

I couldn't believe it either and then tonight I started thinking it looked like a great trade :beer: Can't wait to see the next game

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:35 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

Fogghorn wrote:
Boeser with 4 goals and still 14 minutes to play. Can he get 5. Do the Canucks still have that gimmiky $1 mil random lottery give away if a player scores 5 goals?

We were wondering the same thing and in the last couple of years wasn't there like 100,000 for 4? they probably discontinued the comp this year

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:31 pm 

Demko only allowing one goal against the McDavid/Draisaitl Oilers despite being so sick with flu he literally threw up in his mask late in the third and had to be replaced by DeSmith. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:41 pm 

DeSmith allowing 3 goals on 40 shots. I expect those games from Demko, getting anything like that from DeSmith is a real bonus. Nucks only got 16 shots on goal for 4 goals. How are the Oilers going to win it all with the goal tending they get?

Although the shots were lob sided, and Oilers should have won, it was a game that the Nucks didn't look that out played. They looked much better than the shot balance would indicate. They were consistently competitive, kept the Oilers amazing power player to 2/7 and for the most part did not give up a lot of high chance opportunities.

And its really, really early but if TJ Miller keeps looking like he has been recently I may actually become a fan of his. The guy is talented, passionate, moody, petulant, and prone to dumb lazy mistakes on defense. Since Tocchet has arrived, he seems to be different. He's been focused in a way I've never seen before and fierce on defense. Reminding me more and more of how Tocchet played. And if Tocchet can turn a player who was in the bottom third of forwards defensively, into someone who is in the top third then dare I say it............TJ Miller may be worth his contract. This year he's being put in the shut down line role, and put on the PK. He looks like he relishes the challenge and that he belongs there. Fingers crossed that he keeps it up.

https://twitter.com/CanucksArmy/status/ ... itl-287468

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:49 pm 

So I've been trying to pay little to no attention on all the rumours regarding Pettersson resigning with the Nucks. Its early, these things work out except when they don't (Tkachuk). But there has been a lot of talk and hard to not run into. Now this.
Quote:
On Sunday, some new information regarding Pettersson and the Canucks has come out from Matthew Sekeres of 'Sekeres & Price'. According to Sekeres, he thinks the report of the Canucks being unsure about wanting to commit to Elias Pettersson may have come from team owner Francesco Aquilini.

I so despise Aquilini's, that I'm automatically inclined to think it may be true. I know I'm biased but damn, if they let EP40 walk, they might as well sell everyone off and start the rebuild.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:10 pm 

Thatcher Demko is BACK baby!!!!

............unfortunately so are the 2021-23 Nucks team in front of him

another 40 saves tonight, 2 goals allowed, and the Nucks can't score at all vs Phili? Think they have given up over 40 shots in all 3 games. It's early but worrisome.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:17 pm 
Vegemite Enthusiast

yeah a real shame to waste such a great game from Demko. Very interesting to see how they go tonight after a "reset"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:10 pm 

Myers-Cole is their second pairing? Well no wonder Demko’s getting shelled.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:23 pm 

Meyers has been 3rd pairing mostly. He's been even more awful than normal. He get player for a tank race though.

Here, check these out for laughs.

https://twitter.com/TheStanchion/status ... 7966019007

https://twitter.com/LachInTheCrease/sta ... 6410316186

And here is Jannick Hansen commenting on Meyers (note: Hansen has become someone I like hearing from, he's just brutally honest)
Quote:
Jannik Hansen: I know a lot of people were riding [Myers] for that pass he tried to make to the centre. There’s a lot of issues with it […] But him barrelling out and taking out Petey, I think it is — that just sums up Tyler Myers in one picture right now. It’s just mistakes upon mistakes that just ends up in the back of your net. Because I’m sure he’s got the best intentions of going out there, pinching a Tampa player, clearing the puck, but instead he goes out there and he takes his own guy out, and they go back the other way and it’s a 4-on-2 in front of the net and they put it in the back of the net. It’s those little mistakes, but right now, for some reason with Tyler Myers, it just happens more often, if you will. He’s stood out. Against Tampa, those two were blatant, but there’s instances in the second Edmonton game, in the Philly game, where whether it’s lazy or these penalties that you hate them taking. It’s too many mistakes on one player where it’s hard not single him out. I hate to do it, because obviously he’s trying his best, he wants to win, too. He hates us talking about him like this, too, I’m sure. It’s not like he wakes up in the morning and says, ‘How do I piss off Vancouver media today.’

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:45 am 

So ESPN ranked Quinn Hughes as the 12th best defensemen in the league this year after Seth Jones.

- no defenseman has more assists than Hughes since he entered the league
- last night (game 5) was the first game that the opposition managed to score a goal against the Nucks when Hughes was on the ice. That's playing mostly against the top lines every night

That's amazing, the Nucks don't just control the game when Hughes is on, they absolutely dominate. I've felt Hughes deserved to be in consideration for best dman in the league for a couple years now. Perhaps not the best, but close, and should have been in the discussion. If he keeps playing this year like he has so far there should be no more discussion. No dman can dominate a game like he can. EP40 is tied for tops in the league in points, and Hughes is till clearly the better player. But he's in Vancouver, it will probably take the eastern media another 3 years to realize how good he is, unless the Nucks can make it to 2nd round of playoffs.

https://giphy.com/gifs/wkA4rGLVhWPPUr4AEq

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:25 am 

ESPN rankings are a deliberate troll job. That’s the only explanation other than they possibly have Skip Bayless writing them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:07 pm 

https://www.canucksdaily.com/LATEST-Ins ... cks-291408

I recall when Benning signed Meyers one of the first considerations were that they would not have enough money to resign Tanev the next year. Had to let him leave, despite his being cheaper and better than Meyers. Seems it was a worse case than I realized as Tanev was ready to take a discount to stay with the Nucks, and they still couldn't or wouldn't fit him into their plans.

If they are still struggling with the D next summer, hope they offer him a two year contract.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:02 pm 

6 points out of 5 road games. That's a really good start to the season. Picked up two in Edmonton they didn't deserve. Shit the bed vs Philly, played well against TB but TB was a bit better and they put on a dominant performance over the Panthers and a well earned win in Nashville.

Meyer's is the biggest problem, I think like half the 5v5 goals they've given up have come with Meyer's on the ice, and he's not getting many minutes. Finding a serviceable RHD is the biggest problem for this team. I really hope they sign Ethan Bear again.

The 4th line is not that good either, although Hoglander has 4 points in 5 games so that's a bright spot.

PDG/Boeser/Miller have been excellent, with Mikeheyev/EP40/Kuzmenko those are two very good lines to roll out and going to give any team problems.

But its Quinn who is the biggest standout, with his one goal allowed over 6 games, and averaging nearly 25 minutes a night that is truly impressive. He just dominates the game when he is on. Teams are going to have to make some serious adjustments to be able to deal with him.

And the goal tending has been excellent. Demeko sporting a .923 and DeSmith pulling down a .938% save average.

and Edmonton is 1-4-1 and without McDavid for another week. With Campbell and Skinner having an .866% combined average. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next