OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:23 pm 

A bit bummed about another loss to the Av's last night. That's 3 losses to them this year. In each the Canucks played well enough to be close, but deserved the loss. It just seemed like the Av's with Makar/MacKinnon have the poise and experience to carry their team through the lows and finally ascend on top. It makes me think the Nucks won't go far in the playoffs until they learn what the Av's understand about how to grind out a win.

Timely enough, CA has an article today that challenges the idea that the Nucks aren't good enough to beat bigger teams, or top teams. They actually over perform against the best teams in the league and against the biggest teams in the league. Makes me a bit more optimistic about their playoffs. They only really suk against the Avs.

https://canucksarmy.com/news/busting-my ... gest-teams

And got to wonder about EP40. He had such a great year last year, and was amazing for the first month of this year. He's played well since then, but no stretch of consistent excellence. Its like he's still playing with injury. I've wondered if it was his line mates, but even his normally superb defence seems to be rather ordinary.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:59 pm 
Vegemite Enthusiast

Yeah it sucked, l like to think if we'd had Demko in we would have won. DeSmith played well but he's no Demko. Also the playoffs become even more chess like, it would be a hell of a series.

The loss to the Caps hurt even more, good reality check I guess, I expected a big bounce back from them.

Not sure what the go with Petey is, I think he's just struggling with the tight checking he gets put up against. He really needs to shoot more, or try a shoot first mentality for a while.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:47 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

If PDO is any indication, Petey is just running into some bad shooting luck. I haven't seen him nearly as much as y'all so that's the extent of my "analysis" so take it for what it's worth.

I will add this though--I still don't think Tocchet is a good head coach. We can talk more about that later.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:46 pm 
Vegemite Enthusiast

Well I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on Tocchet, different coaches work better for different individual players and I certainly think he has helped some of the Canucks and it was a huge relief to have a coach come in after Boudereau who had a system, instead of just thinking he needed to motivate them. He's also surrounded himself with quality people imo. That said I'm not a staunch supporter or anything but I do like the results so far. It will be very interesting to see what happens in the playoffs from a coaching perspective. I think he feels he has the lotto line up his sleeve but I'm not sure that's going to do it, especially when they haven't played Lindholm as center very much.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:15 am 
Big in Japan

Canucks locked it down against the Habs on Thursday. Easy 4-1 win, only gave up 17 shots. Habs looked overmatched in every way. They clawed back against Edmo the other night, so I think Vancouver is a cut above McDavid and the boys.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:57 pm 

CanuckinOz wrote:
Well I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on Tocchet, different coaches work better for different individual players and I certainly think he has helped some of the Canucks and it was a huge relief to have a coach come in after Boudereau who had a system, instead of just thinking he needed to motivate them. He's also surrounded himself with quality people imo. That said I'm not a staunch supporter or anything but I do like the results so far. It will be very interesting to see what happens in the playoffs from a coaching perspective. I think he feels he has the lotto line up his sleeve but I'm not sure that's going to do it, especially when they haven't played Lindholm as center very much.

Apologies in advance for the long post.

PREFACE: Please take what I'm saying here with a grain or two of salt. I have not seen nearly as much of the Canucks as y'all have. That's just based on what I've read and my limited observations.

I maintain that Toc is an excellent assistant coach, one of the best there's ever been in that role. He's phenomenal at communicating with players, and working with them on an individual basis to get them working at their best both on and off the ice. The work he did with a then-rookie Steven Stamkos and of course, Phil Kessel is the stuff of legend now. And it sure looks like he's getting more out of noted headcase J.T. Miller than anyone thought possible.

It's the tactical side of things where IMHO ol' Rick tends to fall short. I know he cleaned some things up on defense, but there are still some problems, right? He employs a very conservative defensive scheme that appears to emphasize stacking bodies up the middle to limit shots and take away seam passes. It looks like the exact same system that he employed in Arizona, and made middling starters like Darcy Kuemper look like Vezina material. That's all well and good, and not necessarily a bad idea for a team that isn't terribly deep on the back end. Where I think there might be a problem is that there is SO much emphasis on this and not enough on getting the puck out of the zone once there's a turnover. I also don't think he does much to emphasize possession and shot generation in the attacking zone. The Canucks, for all the astounding offensive totals they have this year, are only something like, 20th--I think?--in shots on goal. That's just crazy because it means almost literally everything they throw at the net is going in. I won't say the U-word that's been bandied about all year for the Canucks but you get the drift.

There's also the neutral zone, and analytics teaches us that if you want to control the game, you have to control the middle of the ice in order to control what happens everywhere else. This team could absolutely destroy everyone with a whip-smart transition game. Again, I don't know if they have a good transition game but I most certainly did not see that in the Avs/Nucks contest. They were leaning way too far back in order to do that. And if anyone looks to me like a guy who will destroy you in transition, it's Petey. Not fast or big, but very smart and able to cause turnovers.

So...this system really appears to suit Miller and Hughes quite well (though I think the latter would fit in on any system no matter what) but I don't think it's ideal for guys like Lindholm and Pettersson. If I had those guys I'd try and employ a much more mobile scheme that's man-to-man, something that worked more to prevent shots instead of blocking them, left the forwards much more able to jump up-ice and create chances at the other end.

So, in the end, it's possible Toc has the best-possible scheme in place to utilize what he has on his roster, which is talented and deep up front, and a very flawed and slow blueline beyond the top two guys, one of whom most assuredly is getting the Norris. BUT...it's also possible he's utilizing the only scheme he really knows, and while some players are thriving with it, others are not.

Part of me wonders what would've happened had management moved quicker on the whole Horvat/Miller rift, that really tore apart that team and left things in a bad place for Boudreau. Then again, Rutherford just really seemed to dislike Bruce from the get-go so it's a moot point.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:39 pm 

The team is lucky to have Hughes, definitely their MVP. The strategy of getting the puck out is basically give it to Hughes. The problem is it makes them too reliant on Hughes. Hronek ideally would play time on 2nd pairing and take on this role, but he is at best middling at moving the puck out.

As you've mentioned, moving the puck to EP40 high in their own end, would probably be the wise decision if Hughes is not the on ice. To a lesser extent I think they could use Garland or maybe even Hoggs in this role sometimes. That way they could design plays with more than just EP40 in mind. That would be enough player coverage to make up for the deficiency of their dman. And ideally give Hughes fewer minutes a night, I am very concerned Tocchet has over played Hughes.

I also think we have a tendency to think bigger players must therefor be slower players. Very surprising to me, Zadarov is 90th percentile in NHL player speed. Hughes is 60th. After that Meyers, Scoucy, Hronek, are average speed for NHL dmen. Julssen and Cole are below. So I don't think they are that slow overall. They are however very big on average.

I do however think it will take a couple years of playoffs to determine Tocchet's tactical ability. Coaches can really focus on their opponents and make adjustments over a 7 game series. If the Nucks get bounced early both years, that will be a pretty damning result for Tocchet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:53 pm 

The other questionable problem for Tocchet is why do the specialty teams suck as bad as they do? 13th in power play and 22nd in penalty kill. That the Canuck's have the talent to be the top team in the league right at this moment. Yet with all that talent they are very weak on specialty teams. I think that falls on coaching more than the players, and supports Poke's point that Tocchet may be weak tactically.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:43 pm 
Vegemite Enthusiast

we could clinch tonight with a bit of help so we'll soon find out! How good was Hoggy's goal last game!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:17 pm 

Another loss to the Kings. I really don't want to meet them in the playoffs. This is a strange feeling, looking ahead at first round playoff match ups. I'm used to looking at the standings, hoping for the team to tank for a better draft pick.

Anyways, Kings are hot, and their trap seems to be a problem for the Nucks. Vegas is back to winning, and if they get Stone and Hertel back for the playoffs, they might again be the best team in the west, and of course the Preds have not lost in like 16 games. No easy wild card options available. Not sure whom too hope for.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:22 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
The team is lucky to have Hughes, definitely their MVP. The strategy of getting the puck out is basically give it to Hughes. The problem is it makes them too reliant on Hughes. Hronek ideally would play time on 2nd pairing and take on this role, but he is at best middling at moving the puck out.

As you've mentioned, moving the puck to EP40 high in their own end, would probably be the wise decision if Hughes is not the on ice. To a lesser extent I think they could use Garland or maybe even Hoggs in this role sometimes. That way they could design plays with more than just EP40 in mind. That would be enough player coverage to make up for the deficiency of their dman. And ideally give Hughes fewer minutes a night, I am very concerned Tocchet has over played Hughes.

I also think we have a tendency to think bigger players must therefor be slower players. Very surprising to me, Zadarov is 90th percentile in NHL player speed. Hughes is 60th. After that Meyers, Scoucy, Hronek, are average speed for NHL dmen. Julssen and Cole are below. So I don't think they are that slow overall. They are however very big on average.

I do however think it will take a couple years of playoffs to determine Tocchet's tactical ability. Coaches can really focus on their opponents and make adjustments over a 7 game series. If the Nucks get bounced early both years, that will be a pretty damning result for Tocchet.

Zadorov is just about the most perfect physical specimen of defenseman there's ever been. He's big, hits like a freight train but doesn't really do it dirty, and he skates remarkably well for a big guy. Also has decent puck skills and a heavy shot.

But...there's the rub. If he had a hockey IQ that matched his physical gifts he'd be a perennial Norris contender and old-school guys like Damian Cox would be emptying their load every time they watched him play. But he doesn't have that--in fact he's quite horrible in that department. There's a big difference between moving fast, and one's ability to play fast. A guy like Pettersson isn't a fast skater at all, but he can play with pace as well as any player in the NHL because he thinks the game quicker than nearly everyone else. Positionally Zadorov is an absolute mess, teams that move the puck well can get him lost in coverage pretty quick.

FTR I don't think Zadorov is a bad player, I'm still quite fond of the guy TBH, but IMO he definitely plays a pretty slow game. He was never a big favorite of Bednar's and the few experiments they where they used him in a different fashion to play to his strengths were ultimately not sustainable. He thrived in Calgary for a while there but I'd argue Sutter sheltered the hell outta him by icing him with the league's best line at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:03 pm 

CA did a recent breakdown on Zadorov's stats and comparable worth. You may find it intersting

https://canucksarmy.com/news/take-sign- ... se-canucks

article summary, he is worth something like Cernak and Oleksiak $4.6 to $5.2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:22 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
CA did a recent breakdown on Zadorov's stats and comparable worth. You may find it intersting

https://canucksarmy.com/news/take-sign- ... se-canucks

article summary, he is worth something like Cernak and Oleksiak $4.6 to $5.2

Man if he's as good as Oleksiak (and I realize Oleksiak isn't great but he's a legit top-four guy) then there's been a massive shift in his game.

I'm curious as to how he affects the numbers of his teammates and how his teammates' numbers affect him. It's a bit harder to dig up WOWY numbers than it used to be.

$5 million annually though. That's a lot of scratch for a guy like that. If he's now a second pairing defender then that's decent value. If he is still leaning toward third pairing then that's an overpay for sure.

I personally don't think much of Dillon. He was really good at one point but is well past his prime. Ironically he's been pretty meh defensively but his offense has been surprisingly good. If someone drops major $$$ on him they will most assuredly regret it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:20 pm 

My pet theory is: playoff hockey is different. Fewer penalties are called (Myers, Scoucy, Cole, Zadorov were all in the top 20 last year for penalties called) in that regard, bigger bodies are better in playoffs. As well, its more physical, so big bodies stand up to the heavy physical cost of playoff hockey. $5 mil is an over pay for regular season Zadorov imo. I'm thinking its about right for a team that is geared to go deep in the playoffs.

I have no way to prove any of my speculation though. There is just not enough consistent data from playoff hockey to prove me right or wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:37 pm 

Demko out until Apr 6th at a minimum. The hope is to get him back in time for 2 or 3 games before playoffs. I'm worried....

Joshua practising with Miller and Boeser. He will be back for the next game. This could be an really interesting fit for them. Tocchet has been looking for a reliable line mate all year for them. On the other hand, Joshua-Bleuger-Garland were really dominant for a couple months. Shame to break them up.

However Hoglander-EP40-Garland does have some potential

And Lindholm still out, they're saying hand or wrist issues.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:43 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

Joshua looking like an absolute beast. Sign him today, if he isn't their highest priority he should be.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:01 am 

https://giphy.com/gifs/HeZW12KD7pR3cBKPwR

Joshua is a beast, this goal of his is not what you expect from a 3rd line banger. I could watch it all day. :D :D :munch: :toot:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:08 pm 
OTP Historian

Nice!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:24 pm 

They're putting Mark Messier in the ring of honour? :roll: :fffffuck:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:26 pm 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
They're putting Mark Messier in the ring of honour? :roll: :fffffuck:

Either you fell for April Fools or you're trying to fool us.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next