OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:00 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
I had a feeling throwing all that money at Markstrom would be a mistake. Even Drance got that one wrong. He advocated the Canucks parlaying Demko into help up front and/or on defense.

I am of the opinion that goalies are stupid and they're all cursed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:34 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

E.L. wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
I had a feeling throwing all that money at Markstrom would be a mistake. Even Drance got that one wrong. He advocated the Canucks parlaying Demko into help up front and/or on defense.
Not to revise history here but you could see it coming. Late bloomer, injury prone, sort of a head case from day one with measured success only under Ian Clark. Well, at least Tanev has worked out well (thus far).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:29 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
Not to revise history here but you could see it coming. Late bloomer, injury prone, sort of a head case from day one with measured success only under Ian Clark. Well, at least Tanev has worked out well (thus far).

He had a good start to the season then got injured then sucked after coming back. We really can't assume he's at full health yet, can we?

I was all in for letting Markstrom go and handing the reins over to Demko last year and its played out but I still think Markstrom was a good choice for the Flames, their goal tending has held them back for what 5, 10, 15 years? A long time anyways.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:03 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
He had a good start to the season then got injured then sucked after coming back. We really can't assume he's at full health yet, can we?

I was all in for letting Markstrom go and handing the reins over to Demko last year and its played out but I still think Markstrom was a good choice for the Flames, their goal tending has held them back for what 5, 10, 15 years? A long time anyways.
Ever since Kipper I reckon. I mean Marky's not bad. I just don't know how consistent any goaltender who signs for money and term can be over the long haul. It's a long list and a nerve-racking position.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:06 pm 

So Sham Sharron challenges the narrative that Benning is great at drafting. Definitely an interesting read.

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/03/30/sham ... r-canucks/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:58 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Nucks close to signing Demko to a 5year 25 miilion contract.

https://www.tsn.ca/vancouver-canucks-go ... -1.1616326

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:19 pm 

Scott 679 wrote:
Nucks close to signing Demko to a 5year 25 miilion contract.

https://www.tsn.ca/vancouver-canucks-go ... -1.1616326

5 for $25 seems really good to me. I was actually thinking it would be more like 6 mil per year. Wonder if they had to give him some sort of LMC for that price? Benning hands them out like candy anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:50 pm 

Well tonight's Canucks game versus the Flames has been postponed due to COVID. Apparently another player beyond Gaudette and some of the coaching staff are reported to have tested positive after some expedited tests results came back late this afternoon.

At this point, if you have less than a 10% chance of making the playoffs, does it even make sense for either team to reschedule these games at all? I would expect the Canucks layoff to be at least another week on top of the week they just had.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:27 pm 
Old Man of the Post

So they have Demmer at $5M x 5 years...

They are paying Braden Holtby something like $4.3M x 2 years.... Even if they expose him in the expansion draft, I doubt Seattle picks him up when there are better options out there...

And they are still paying Luongo's cap recapture penalty for $3M x 2 years... That's $12.3M for the goalie position. Thankfully, they will only be paying that amount for one season (2021-22).

Their cap hit is $60M for 12 roster players, about $20M remaining to pay for Huggy, EP40, and nine other schmoes...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:45 pm 
Big in Japan

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
That's $12.3M for the goalie position.

What kind of dumb organization would spend all that on goalies? Oh wait... :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:28 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
the Cunning Linguist wrote:
That's $12.3M for the goalie position.

What kind of dumb organization would spend all that on goalies? Oh wait... :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot:

Buncha amateurs...

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/DET/2004.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:40 am 

Hoo Boy - Major team outbreak. 8 players and 1 staff member now on the COVID positive list for the Canucks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:20 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Hoo Boy - Major team outbreak. 8 players and 1 staff member now on the COVID positive list for the Canucks.

And this is a new variant first identified in Brazil. It’s a nasty motherfucker, even more contagious and attacks young people too. Dreger says a few players are really sick.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:29 pm 
Big in Japan

Yeah please keep us apprised. Brian Wilde in MTL said the same thing: very serious outbreak here.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:44 pm 

Lebrun reports that the Canucks are up to 16 player positive test results along with 3 coaches and growing. The NHL are now running on the assumption that the entire team has COVID like they did with Dallas.

Shut'em down, this is getting scary. There is zero reason for the Canucks to play another hockey game. Especially with actual illness versus a asymptomatic cases. With nothing at stake, there’s no need to reschedule a few weeks worth of games. Let everyone get better and ready for next year.

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/statu ... 1290306568

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:21 pm 

Shut'em down, this is getting scary.

Are you kidding me? This is the opportunity we've been waiting for. Bring in the players from Utica, Winnipeg and the taxi squad. Tank baby tank!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:37 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Shut'em down, this is getting scary.
Are you kidding me? This is the opportunity we'v been waiting for. Bring in the players from Utica, Winnipeg and the taxi squad. Tank baby tank!!!!
I could care less if the Canucks organization plays another hockey game this season. Just want those guys and their families to be alright.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:50 am 

Sounds like we are up to 14 roster players and 2 from the taxi squad plus 3 coaches.

Thatcher Demko, Tyler Myers and Bo Horvat, Tyler Motte, Travis Boyd, Jayce Hawryluk and Brandon Sutter have been added to the list.

They join Braden Holtby, Alex Edler, Quinn Hughes and Travis Hamonic, Adam Gaudette, Zack MacEwan and Antoine Roussel.

What a nightmare.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:16 am 
Old Man of the Post

Apparently it's the P1 (Brazilian) variant and it's nasty as hell. This is fricking serious...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:16 am 
Old Man of the Post

Apparently it's the P1 (Brazilian) variant and it's nasty as hell. This is fricking serious...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next