OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:56 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:

Wow. Used to be that if a Red Wing scored a hat trick, you could take the box score to Arby's to get a free small curly fries. Then when the team got bad, they lowered the requirement to 3 goals total for the team. What are the Canucks going to lower theirs to? :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:43 pm 
Old Man of the Post

So the score is 3-0, 5:11 left in the third, my gf and I turn to each other and say, "It's anybody's game at this point!"

Pain. Thy name is CanucksFanDom2021.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:09 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Well, that's more like it. It's just like these JB-Canucks that they would choose this year to completely tank when the draft isn't terribly exciting (or so I hear).

I still hold on to the naive notion that Ian Clark can somehow resuscitate Braden Holtby's career. So far, the returns aren't good; on the other hand, the team in front of him last night looked completely disinterested in - you know - defending. It seems like every time JT Miller is even half a step slow on the back check, it's a goal whereas he might have gotten away with it last season.

Quinn Hughes and Nils Hoglander are still fun to watch.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:19 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Well, that's more like it. It's just like these JB-Canucks that they would choose this year to completely tank when the draft isn't terribly exciting (or so I hear).

I still hold on to the naive notion that Ian Clark can somehow resuscitate Braden Holtby's career. So far, the returns aren't good; on the other hand, the team in front of him last night looked completely disinterested in - you know - defending. It seems like every time JT Miller is even half a step slow on the back check, it's a goal whereas he might have gotten away with it last season.

Quinn Hughes and Nils Hoglander are still fun to watch.
Petey's shot is coming around. I hope he can rack up some points in the 2nd half of the season so he gets paid. Small victories.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:24 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Logical Progression wrote:
Petey's shot is coming around. I hope he can rack up some points in the 2nd half of the season so he gets paid. Small victories.

His shot was always there, it's been a matter of fractions of an inch here or there. Teams are giving him far less space than ever so he's gotta figure that out.

I hope that Hughes figures out a way to beat the aggressive forecheck that he gets in his own zone. Saw some flashes of rookie season Hughes last night - great to see him 'walk the line'.

The Flow has looked great all season. He'd be my pick for early season MVP.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:52 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Today's presser was apparently...not good.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canu ... ty-3519799

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:16 pm 

Best I can recall, the speculation was that Linden got fired because he felt the team was not close to becoming competitive with the elite and needed a full rebuild and that Benning disagreed and felt they were a couple years away. So the Aqulini's chose the more optimistic scenario and Linden was gone.

If so shouldn't they be firing Benning at this point and doing a mea culpa and rehiring Linden? Of course that would mean paying Benning for 2+ years of contract for doing nothing and that's not how the Aquilini's do things.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:22 pm 

Benning has been given unprecedented treatment by the Aquilini's, above any other executive in their history of owning the club. It could be because Benning is a 'yes man' and runs a lean front office. Or it could be just because of a strong drafting history.

Either way they continue to ignore two undeniable facts of his tenure.
Inflated contracts to the bottom six have lead to severe cap management issues and inept pro scouting have caused bad free agent signings resulting in zero cap flexibility and restrictive trade options. But let's not overthink it. It's the law of attraction - the blind leading the blind.

https://twitter.com/mattsekeres/status/ ... 0017765382

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:51 pm 

What Aquilini is too dumb to realize is that Benning has cost him FAR more money than what he would've lost undergoing a proper rebuild with an actually-competent GM.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:46 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
What Aquilini is too dumb to realize is that Benning has cost him FAR more money than what he would've lost undergoing a proper rebuild with an actually-competent GM.
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Another worry for Canucks fans is the next phase. Benning clearly doesn't have the skillset to handle the Pettersson, Hughes and Demko signings while at the same time managing the re-tool that now has to happen due to past falters. But it looks he'll be leading the charge with no plan and even less room for mistakes.

I sure hope someone in that family comes to their senses by the end of the season but I am not holding my breath.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:20 am 

2-0 since that presser! :hurrr:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:59 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
2-0 since that presser! :hurrr:

And cue our fearless leader with another victory lap.

https://twitter.com/fr_aquilini/status/ ... 5561351170

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:10 pm 

What the fuck is wrong with EP40? He is missing his 3rd game in a row tonight versus the Habs.
:chairshot:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:28 am 

So I join team tank and they get 3 wins in a row? Does this mean I should have been pulling for the tank since the beginning of the year? Do I need to stay on team tank to assure their success?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:16 am 
Big in Japan

Fogghorn wrote:
So I join team tank and they get 3 wins in a row? Does this mean I should have been pulling for the tank since the beginning of the year? Do I need to stay on team tank to assure their success?

Keep playing the Habs in OT and you'll be back in the playoff hunt in no time :fffffuck:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:50 pm 

11pm EST faceoff tomorrow. Break out the coffee or maybe something slightly stronger. :beer:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:21 pm 
Big in Japan

11pm EST faceoff tomorrow. Break out the coffee or maybe something slightly stronger. :beer:

I doubt I'll make it. I'll read the highlights in the morning.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:21 am 

This is conjecture based on a few pieces of displayed evidence, but if the conjecture is even close to correct then the Aqulini's are even dumber than I could have guessed.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canu ... ro-3530113

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:38 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
This is conjecture based on a few pieces of displayed evidence, but if the conjecture is even close to correct then the Aqulini's are even dumber than I could have guessed.

But they have a pact! :lol:

Moe conjecture but I'm hearing that the bank accounts have been closed by the family on Francesco because he was given a lot of latitude over the past 7 years but have had enough of the way he's managed the money.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:05 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:

But they have a pact! :lol:

Moe conjecture but I'm hearing that the bank accounts have been closed by the family on Francesco because he was given a lot of latitude over the past 7 years but have had enough of the way he's managed the money.

That is horrible to contemplate. Well maybe they decide to sell it off. I know there are worse candidates out there but odds are we'd someone better.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next