OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:52 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Three losses in a row, and predictably, fans are breaking out the knives...for Pettersson. :roll:

trade da bum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:38 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Fogghorn wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
Three losses in a row, and predictably, fans are breaking out the knives...for Pettersson. :roll:
trade da bum

https://twitter.com/MikeMartignago/stat ... 9678473218

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:16 am 
Big in Japan

Boeser still good not sure what y'all were worried about.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:37 am 

E.L. wrote:

I was never worried, he was a bit off last year in expected progression but chalked it up to long term recovery from healing. Besides his defense just keeps getting better so all is good. Will he ever be a 40 goal guy I have no idea but he has some 30 goal seasons in his future.

My biggest worry/fantasy is if Podkozin is the 1st line star everyone keeps saying he is, and Rathbone is the future all-star potential #2 dman he looks like he'll become, and Hoglander keeps playing like our 4th Calder contender in 4 years how the hell will we keep Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes all under the same roof? Can a team have 7 all-star team quality players under one cap? This team has good problems to have, if it wasn't the for the idiot ownership and the clown GM I'd feel incredibly positive about their future.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:55 am 

E.L. wrote:
Boeser and Toffoli tied for the league league in goals at 6 each. Go figure.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:37 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Listened to a recent 31 Thoughts pod where they talked briefly about the Canucks' struggles, notably Quinn Hughes. It's early yet but in the short term, losing Chris Tanev has really handcuffed him, and they mention that. Both in the locker room and on the ice he was a huge part of their success. Long-term, they may have dodged a bullet, but in the interim, they went and got a demonstrably worse player (Hamonic) who's even more injury-prone.

Also...Tyler Myers sucks so unimaginably bad. I think I've mentioned this many times before but I've never seen a hockey player who was so gifted with strength and size and reach and so utterly incapable of utilizing it.

It'd be nice if Vancouver could just play the shitty Senators the rest of the season, then there'd be no problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:54 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Listened to a recent 31 Thoughts pod where they talked briefly about the Canucks' struggles, notably Quinn Hughes. It's early yet but in the short term, losing Chris Tanev has really handcuffed him, and they mention that. Both in the locker room and on the ice he was a huge part of their success. Long-term, they may have dodged a bullet, but in the interim, they went and got a demonstrably worse player (Hamonic) who's even more injury-prone.

Also...Tyler Myers sucks so unimaginably bad. I think I've mentioned this many times before but I've never seen a hockey player who was so gifted with strength and size and reach and so utterly incapable of utilizing it.

It'd be nice if Vancouver could just play the shitty Senators the rest of the season, then there'd be no problem.

Hughes has not been the problem, leading the league in points for dmen. I think its debatable whether Hamonic is worse than Tanev but there is no debate in my mind at the salary they are being paid Hamonic is the better choice. https://canucksarmy.com/2021/01/05/why- ... nic-trade/

And Tkachuk tried getting Gaudette to go but ended up with McEwen and losing, then losing again to the TD logo

pic.twitter.com/RUN8zWnS3G

And Tyler Myers is awful, but hopefully will look great in a Kraken uni.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:18 pm 

Virtanen back in the press box. Green says it's time for another reset for Jake. A reset from what?? The season just started. Not a good sign.

Time to move on him despite his low stock value.

A 6th overall pick, a 5th overall pick and a $6 Million dollar player in the press box and can't crack the lineup. Benning's chickens have come home to roost.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:09 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Virtanen back in the press box. Green says it's time for another reset for Jake. A reset from what?? The season just started. Not a good sign.

A 6th overall pick, a 5th overall pick and a $6 Million dollar player in the press box and can't crack the lineup. Benning's chickens have come home to roost.

I don't know. MacEwen and Gaudette have sat in favour of the likes of Beagle, Sutter, Roussel this year. I just am not sure why coaches do this as both Gaudette and McEwen are better than these guys. The same applies to Virtanen as well. And this seems to happen on most teams in the league, old reliable vets get played ahead of where they should.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:10 pm 

Nice read on Horvat

Quote:
Since January 1, 2020, only one player has scored more goals in the regular season and postseason combined than Horvat, and it’s Alexander Ovechkin with 29. Ever heard of him?

As of this writing, Horvat sits tied for second with 27 goals, dead-even with the likes of Mika Zibanejad, Leon Draisaitl, Nikita Kucherov, and Max Pacioretty

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/01/29/bo-h ... l-scorers/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:12 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:

I don't know. MacEwen and Gaudette have sat in favour of the likes of Beagle, Sutter, Roussel this year. I just am not sure why coaches do this as both Gaudette and McEwen are better than these guys. The same applies to Virtanen as well. And this seems to happen on most teams in the league, old reliable vets get played ahead of where they should.
And then Sutter goes onto have a career game to prove coach/manager right. Podkolzin is a right winger and with the emergence of Hoglander it seems like Jake might be on his last life.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:18 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:

And then Sutter goes onto have a career game to prove coach/manager right. Podkolzin is a right winger and with the emergence of Hoglander it seems like Jake might be on his last life.

Sutter got lucky, he's still bad at hockey.

And we'll have to continue to agree to disagree about Virtanen, he would have been a 20 goal guy last year if not for covid, he is a fine #5 or #6 winger on the team.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:43 pm 
Big in Japan

It was interesting to watch the Nucks for three games straight as a Habs watcher. Not a team I was super familiar with beyond the statsheet beforehand.

I thought Miller, Horvat and Boeser were buzzards. Aggressive puck hogs and while they didn't finish, they put the Habs on their toes more than anyone else. McEwen and Roussel gave them a bit more bottom 6 edge when they were playing. Didn't hate them. Sutter had that one crazy goal but yeah, better off gone when his contract is up.

Pettersson was there to finish, and he had a tough time, but you could see he was ready to break out.

The defence was exposed big time. Hughes was the only weapon on offence, but was so often on his toes in his end, which isn't his strong suit. Myers is brutal, no avoiding that reality.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:17 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

Sutter got lucky, he's still bad at hockey.

And we'll have to continue to agree to disagree about Virtanen, he would have been a 20 goal guy last year if not for covid, he is a fine #5 or #6 winger on the team.
I used to be a big Virtanen supporter but I am done. Love the double threat of speed and size but the lack of aggressive play and attack to the net -- and general loafing is driving me crazy. 1 goal in 10 games. That should be good for 8 goals this season (prorated to 10) and that's being charitable.

I agree that Sutter got lucky - happy he'll be gone next year. The Lotto line is back in form after the Habs series and Benn seems to be a more stabilizing factor in the D-zone for Hughes than Hamonic for now. His offensive output has been very impressive to start the season.

Everyone knows Myers sucks - no need to go further into it than that. They need to make more changes on D. I am not saying they should have held onto Tanev and Stecher because changes had to be made after last season.

But Tanev was overpaid / aging and Stecher was clearly out of his depth in the playoffs but not sure there are any clear fixes at this stage.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:02 pm 

Unfortunately Virtanen is a must on a team that has so badly mismanaged their cap space. He delivers an okay-ish amount of offense for fairly cheap. He's probably the modern-day version of Oleg Kvasha--all the talent in the world but not the head nor heart to really put it together. At least he's a big guy who can skate, that still holds a ton of value in today's NHL.

If Jimmy Boy had done this rebuild correctly I could see him selling high on Jake, getting some decent futures in return and slotting in better players.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:59 am 

I don't ever want to come across as defender of Virtanen cause I'm not. I think of him as a third line player who can be called up to the first or second line when an injury occurs as he's serviceable in that position.

He was drafted 6th and that set high expectations. I felt strongly at the time the Nucks should have taken Ehrlers in that spot, then should have been Nylander and then Virtanen anywhere 8-12 as that group were pretty much the same. He played with two 20 years olds who distorted his draft year making him appear better than he really was. So I never expected as much from him as most fans did. I actually thought there was 50% chance he wouldn't even make it to the NHL for more than a cup of coffee. Because I never expected more than 3rd liner I'm much more okay with him than most. Doesn't mean I am happy with him, just someone has to be on the 3rd line able to move to the top 2. If Motte keeps up what he's doing, it could be him and then Jake becomes very tradeable

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:11 pm 
Old Man of the Post

And then Sutter goes onto have a career game to prove coach/manager right. Podkolzin is a right winger and with the emergence of Hoglander it seems like Jake might be on his last life.[/quote]
It was one game and at his price point ($4.3M), I'd rather have someone else. Kole Lind is getting a look at C in Utica and seems to be making the most of it. We'll see. Pearson ($3.7M) is also an UFA at the end of this season - I see Podkolzin getting a look in that spot; there's a small chance he might not be available in April after all. I'm a little disappointed in the stalled progression of Gaudette (RFA). But then everyone on this team is struggling against teams not named Ottawa. But I can see Benning re-up Gaudette just because he's cheap and can occasionally score.

Miller/Petterson/Boeser
Hoglander/Horvat/Podkolzin
Roussel/Beagle/Motte
Lind?/MacEwen/Virtanen

Hopeful that Seattle takes Myers off our hands but I think it's a bit much to expect Rafferty to mature enough to take his spot. Maybe they'll take Holtby to back up Rittich. Edler could be available, too. I don't think Juolevi is a good enough skater to stay in this league. If Seattle is smart, they won't touch Vancouver's defence - there's plenty of holes there that they can take advantage of - why help them by taking away those holes?

Hughes/Benn
Schmidt/Myers
Edler/Chatfield
Juolevi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:28 pm 

Edler has officially entered the “late-stage Francois Beauchemin” phase of his career after getting walked by Jason Spezza tonight. Seriously dude? Spezza!? Pretty sure even I could skate faster than that guy at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:37 am 

What's worrisome is they're losing really badly, if these were close games I'd think there was hope. At this point I don't expect them to make the playoffs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:22 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
What's worrisome is they're losing really badly, if these were close games I'd think there was hope. At this point I don't expect them to make the playoffs.
Agree. Hard not to believe that wasn't the plan by ownership for this season all along. Maybe they know this season is a throw away due to no gate revenue and they need to plan a new era for next season with the Pettersson and Hughes signings. I am not convinced ownership believes enough in this management team to take them to the next level -- we could be in for a major house cleaning this off season. Did you know that Benning is the second longest tenured GM in Canuck history, trailing only Pat Quinn who had 7 playoff appearances, a SCF and numerous division titles.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next