OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:28 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
Virtanen bought out.

Had a chance to sell high on that idiot. Bad move Jim, though I’ll admit I thought for a moment he might provide cheap depth.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:40 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Virtanen bought out.

Had a chance to sell high on that idiot. Bad move Jim, though I’ll admit I thought for a moment he might provide cheap depth.

It's the rape accusation hanging over him. I'd guess they have enough information to conclude that the allegations have significant merit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:36 am 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
the Cunning Linguist wrote:
E.L. wrote:
A mammoth with Arizona. Nucks shed a ton of crap for OEL and Garland. Lost a first in the process.

Zona will help pay for OEL but they shed short term salary for a long term headache. Garland will be nice.

This is an awful deal after the first season; GMJB acquired $7.26M of OEL for seven more years, while offloading one year of Beagle, Roussel and Erikkson... They'll have $62M tied up with 8 more to add to the roster, including Petterson and Hughes. I think he's got some more moves to make (maybe move Schmidt and Holtby)... :fffffuck:

Absolutely awful deal. Trading short term gain for long term contract misery. I think this will go down as his worst deal ever. I have zero hope for this team winning the cup. I can look forward to is Benning being fired and new GM coming in a cleaning house in 5 years and then beginning a rebuild all over again. So much good young talent, and he is just loading them up with veterans with albatross contracts.

Yeah, this deal is horrendous.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:54 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I've come around on this thought...

In the other thread, Pokecheque wrote:
If OEL somehow finds his form again, this is a good deal for the Canucks...if he doesn't that's one hell of a boat anchor on your blueline there.

In thinking about this over the weekend, I came to the same conclusion.

They got rid of $12M of dead cap allocation in the AHL (Eriksson), and the pressbox/infirmary (Beagle, Roussel) - contracts that couldn't crack the lineup for $8.26M (about $7.26M in real cap hit to Vancouver) x 6 years of OEL. They threw in a 2022 2nd rounder and a 2023 7th rounder for good measure. I think this saves them more than $3.74M in salary because they actually get a player who can play D in their Top 6 (barring injury).

They traded this year's 9OA who turned out to be Dylan Guenther (I think GMJB had his hopes set on Kent Johnson or Brandt Clarke) for Conor Garland. Given the inconsistencies of GMJB's first round picks (Virtanen, Juolevi vs. Petterson, Hughes - Podkolzin has yet to play), I see this as good trade for both sides.

So if OEL sucks mightily, GMJB is as good as gone. He's basically rolling the dice on OEL returning to Top 4 form (if not Top pairing defenseman) who can take the tougher matchups from Huggy. Playing against the other teams' second unit will only help Huggy and GMJB still has to re-sign Huggy and Petterson, as well as RFAs Garland, and Dickinson among others, and find two RDs...

JTMiller/Petterson/Boeser
Pearson/Horvat/Garland
Podkolzin/Dickinson/Hoglander
Motte/MacEwan/Highmore

OEL/Myers
Huggy/(possibly Hamonic)
Rathbone/Schmidt
(Juolevi, Bowey, Brisebois)

Demko
Holtby

EDIT: There's a very slim chance that OEL will play like Niklas Lidstrom in his mid-30s but by then his buyout cap will be easier to swallow. :a2m: I'm hopeful OEL can turn it around in a hurry, fly high cover for Huggy for 3-4 years (since Edler really can't do it any longer and is likely signing elsewhere), and the injury bug doesn't hammer them like it has since time immemorial. Daniel Sedin basically vouched for his character and work ethic and those intangibles are things that old school GMJB really values a lot (see Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson). The cost is the prospect cupboard is bare like it was for the 2012 Cannots, only they had a couple of Presidents Trophies to show for it. That's the longer-term concern in addition to the OEL-batross... This does sound a lot like the Lucic for Neal bad contract swap... Only worse.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:09 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
It's the rape accusation hanging over him. I'd guess they have enough information to conclude that the allegations have significant merit.

Yeah that's what everyone figures it is. From what I understand he had a penchant for the nightlife and that may have played a part both in his lack of development and unfortunately the incident in question.

I'm reading online that Jake's agent is on a full PR blitz right now trying to paint his client as a victim. Suppose those of you who listen to Dhaliwal would know more about that than I.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:04 pm 
Old Man of the Post

No, I'm hearing that his buyout had everything to do with how little it's going to cost them ($50k this year, $500k next year) vs. the value he brings to the table (5G, 0A), so they are casting this as a hockey-no-brainer... No pun intended...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:14 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Holtby getting bought out... $500k this year and $1.9M next year

https://www.tsn.ca/vancouver-canucks-br ... -1.1673514

EDIT: CapFriendly says they have about $61.3M allocated to 14 players (!!!) and about $20M to hand out, including deals for Petterson, Huggy, Dickinson, and other RFAs...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:40 pm 
Old Man of the Post

EDIT: Travis Hamonic, RD 2yrs $3Mper

Tucker Poolman, RD 4yrs $2.5M per...

Luke Schenn, RD 2yrs $850k per

Looks like almost two and a half RD for the price of Nate Schmidt... Nicely done, GMJB, now do Petterson and Hughes...

Also, Brandon Sutter re-signs for as the presumptive 4C for one year at 1.25M

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:48 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Looks like Edler may be headed for SoCal and the Kings...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:25 pm 
Old Man of the Post

JT/Petterson/Boeser
Pearson/Horvat/Garland
Podkolzin/JDick/Hoglander
Motte/Sutter/Highmore
(MacEwan, di Giuseppe(?))

Hughes/Hamonic
OEL/Poolman
Rathbone/Myers
(Juolevi, Schenn)

Demko
(Halak - 1 yr. $1.5M)

$65.1M projected cap hit for 19 players; still to lock up RFAs Petterson, Hughes, JDick and Juolevi with the rest of the balance of $16.5M... I'm guessing they'll use Ferland's $3.5M LTIR money to pay for the rest...

CapFriendly Cannots

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:30 pm 
OTP Historian

Close friend of mine teaches at the high school Dickinson went to. Says he's a good kid.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:36 pm 
Old Man of the Post

As of 4:30PM PST, the new-look Jim Benning Cannots have a projected cap hit of $66.7M with 21 players, and $14.8M left to sign Petterson, Hughes, JDick and Juolevi... It'll be tight.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:51 am 
Big in Japan

It's not a lot of money per se, but the Tucker Poolman deal makes absolutely zero sense to me. Four years for a guy's who barely a starter?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:42 pm 

Anybody have the cap space to offer sheet both Hughes and Pettersen?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:47 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

E.L. wrote:
It's not a lot of money per se, but the Tucker Poolman deal makes absolutely zero sense to me. Four years for a guy's who barely a starter?
Warm body with a right shot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:16 am 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
Anybody have the cap space to offer sheet both Hughes and Pettersen?

Hughes can't be offer sheeted.

Even if he could, a team can only commit the picks to signing one offer sheet. They wouldn't be able to sign both with the same picks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:47 pm 

Pettersson should most definitely be offer sheeted.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:19 pm 

So I had to stew awhile on Benning decisions. I'll give him credit, that is an awesome looking forwards group. 4 solid lines, and the 3rd line should eat up 3rd lines from other teams. Overall, its more of the same of typical Benning. Short term, make the playoffs this year, sacrificing long term progression. The future looks bad, like letting or trading Horvat or Miller bad, just to clear enough room to hang onto other players with upcoming contracts. It just makes me sad, that someone as short sighted as Benning, has been left in charge at a time when the Canucks have the best all time group of young talent they have ever had, and he's just frittering away the opportunity for this team to be a Stanley cup contender for multiple years.

Anyways, these guys do a better analysis than I.

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/08/01/jim- ... ne-follow/

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/08/03/canu ... down-road/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:31 pm 
Old Man of the Post

JDick signs for three years at $2.65M per... One down, two to go.

Capfriendly says GMJB has about $10.6M left to sign Petterson and Hughes. That $70.3M includes $3.5M for Ferland's contract which will probably continue to be LTIRed, and 24 contracts in total so far (14F, 8D and 2G) so at least 3 of those contracts will have to be buried in the minors, traded, or put on IR (I hear noises that Motte might not be ready for training camp because of lingering concussion issues) to make room for Hughes and Petterson.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:54 pm 
Big in Japan

I'm sure Dickinson is a fine player, but the Canucks continue to play with fire by handing out deals without having locked up their best players. They're the only team that does this and it's crazy. Lock up Hughes/Elias/Bo/Brock/JT and worry about the rest after.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next