OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:54 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Read today that JB has been informed that he will return for the upcoming season. Because Canucks fans can't ever have nice things...

Best collection of talented youngsters this franchise has ever had, and its all going to be wasted because JB can't learn from his mistakes and ownership can't recognize theirs or too cheap to the correct thing.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:02 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

The one and only person on the planet who doesn't know Benning is the problem is the one and only person who can actually do something about it.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:07 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
The one and only person on the planet who doesn't know Benning is the problem is the one and only person who can actually do something about it.

or possibly just to cheap to do the correct thing

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:21 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Those closest to the problem are always the last to see it, but even that might be giving Frank too much cognitive credit.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 2:56 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

What he doesn’t realize is that Jimmy Boy is costing him a ton more in bad contracts (at least one of which will HAVE to be bought out) and lost playoff revenue. For a supposedly astute businessman Aquilini has absolutely zero vision. He can’t see beyond the bottom line and immediate results.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:46 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

What he doesn’t realize is that Jimmy Boy is costing him a ton more in bad contracts (at least one of which will HAVE to be bought out) and lost playoff revenue. For a supposedly astute businessman Aquilini has absolutely zero vision. He can’t see beyond the bottom line and immediate results.

Not sure how astute they are. Combination of lucky and dishonest. They have a bad rep in Vancouver of not fully paying contractors, grinding them down after the work is done. Also its pretty hard to have not made oodles of money if your family has a long history of buying real estate in Vancouver. You can't lose at that game.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:06 pm 

Canuck's sign Ian Clark for 5 years. I am so down on this organization I was 99% sure he was gone, that the Nucks would never get this right.

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/06/10/top- ... extension/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:23 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Fogghorn wrote:
Canuck's sign Ian Clark for 5 years. I am so down on this organization I was 99% sure he was gone, that the Nucks would never get this right.

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/06/10/top- ... extension/

You're not alone. Wow. They got something right... Glad that he has the same term as Demko.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:24 am 

Brad Shaw as Associate Coach, formerly from Columbus was also a good signing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:31 am 
Old Man of the Post

Newell Brown is out.

I have mixed feelings about this as I think he did ok despite that fact that the team couldn't practice as much, and they didn't have Petey in the last half of the season.

Baumer and King stay.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:18 pm 

Newell Brown is out.

I have mixed feelings about this as I think he did ok despite that fact that the team couldn't practice as much, and they didn't have Petey in the last half of the season.

Baumer and King stay.
Seems like they needed a change because they couldn't come back with virtually the identical coaching and management after a last placed finish. Change for the sake of change.

Newell Brown is a great coach. He'll get scooped up pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:09 pm 
OTP Historian

Bosc wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
Any GM with even a little flexibility in cap room should be gearing the hell up to throw one hell of an offer sheet at Pettersson and Hughes. If there was one GM too stupid to maneuver around that situation, it'd be him.

I complained last year about Yzerman not taking any bad contracts from Jimbo, but maybe this is it...

Pettersson and Larkin down the middle with Hughes and Seider on the back end...hell yes. Not to mention Raymond on the wing. If Zadina can't hit his potential with all that around him...

It'll cost a boatload of first rounders but who cares.

They can't do both, has to be picks in the upcoming draft it looks like.

Hughes can't even be offer-sheeted apparently. Petey can.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:44 am 
Big in Japan

After watching Guerin pull off a stunner in Minny, if Benning and the owner don't have the guts to buyout some dead wood in Vancouver, they deserve to be a lottery team.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:15 pm 

The team formerly known as the Utica Comets will now be known as the Abbotsford Canucks.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... e-and-more

I'm hearing mixed reaction on the uniforms. Frankly I like them. The inverted "V" on the sleeves, the Johnny Canuck primary logo, green as the primary color...I think they nailed it here TBH.

Now if they would just fix the primary uniform of the parent club and do away with that dumb Orca once and for all...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:45 pm 
Old Man of the Post

That logo has been a favourite here since it was introduced. I'm far less enthused by the name - "Abbotsford Canucks"? Really? After all the hype and build-up this is the best they could come up with?

Anyway, the Cannots lose Lind to the Kraken - tells you about as much as you need to know about the dearth of talent on the unprotected roster as you need to know... The ROI was probably highest on Lind...

I am looking forward to seeing how Podkolzin will fit as he's pretty much pencilled in on the starting lineup.

EDIT: Oh, and GMJB picked up Jason Dickinson from the Stars for Vancouver's 2021 3rd round pick; JDick pushed Lind into the unprotected list and gets the presumptive 3C spot. Personally, I like the trade on paper; my initial reaction was that JDick sounds like a younger, cheaper Jay Beagle...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:42 pm 

I think Jason Dickinson is considerably better than Beagle ever was. I thought Lind had potential to be the 3C guy but he's still a big gamble. This deal will come down to what kind of contract Dickinson gets, the team has budget problems and Lind may have helped more with that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:04 pm 
Big in Japan

A mammoth with Arizona. Nucks shed a ton of crap for OEL and Garland. Lost a first in the process.

Zona will help pay for OEL but they shed short term salary for a long term headache. Garland will be nice.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:08 am 
Old Man of the Post

E.L. wrote:
A mammoth with Arizona. Nucks shed a ton of crap for OEL and Garland. Lost a first in the process.

Zona will help pay for OEL but they shed short term salary for a long term headache. Garland will be nice.

This is an awful deal after the first season; GMJB acquired $7.26M of OEL for seven more years, while offloading one year of Beagle, Roussel and Erikkson... They'll have $62M tied up with 8 more to add to the roster, including Petterson and Hughes. I think he's got some more moves to make (maybe move Schmidt and Holtby)... :fffffuck:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:39 pm 
Big in Japan

Virtanen bought out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:27 pm 

E.L. wrote:

This is an awful deal after the first season; GMJB acquired $7.26M of OEL for seven more years, while offloading one year of Beagle, Roussel and Erikkson... They'll have $62M tied up with 8 more to add to the roster, including Petterson and Hughes. I think he's got some more moves to make (maybe move Schmidt and Holtby)... :fffffuck:

Absolutely awful deal. Trading short term gain for long term contract misery. I think this will go down as his worst deal ever. I have zero hope for this team winning the cup. I can look forward to is Benning being fired and new GM coming in a cleaning house in 5 years and then beginning a rebuild all over again. So much good young talent, and he is just loading them up with veterans with albatross contracts.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 19  Next