OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:04 pm 

My take, once it was understood that the variants were 40% more contagious (january), the NHL protocols needed to be updated and made more stringent. Nice thought piece on the protocols here. https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canu ... ks-3603850

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:36 pm 
Big in Japan

Tanner Pearson gets 3 years, $3.25M AAV. This team didn't need another mid guy signed long-term. Thumbs down.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:40 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Why not trade him and try and sign in the off season? I could see this if he was a significant core piece but while a good player he is not someone you build around.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:09 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Big thumbs down. I am about to tap out here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:26 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Why not trade him and try and sign in the off season? I could see this if he was a significant core piece but while a good player he is not someone you build around.

NTC 1st year, LTM of 7 teams in 2nd year.

On a good team he'd be good 3rd line player but at his age will likely show regression. Seems a bit high when considering his age and what he brings and when considering flat cap. On the other hand compared to Beagle, Roussel, Sutter, Ferland, Eriksson it does actually seem like an improvement in Benning's negotiations.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:31 pm 

From Dayal, the Canucks let Tyler Toffoli, who's 6th in the NHL with 19 goals walk at $4.25M.

Now they're re-signing Tanner Pearson, who has 11 points in 33 games at $3.25M.

This doesn't seem like ideal asset management putting it mildly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:19 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
From Dayal, the Canucks let Tyler Toffoli, who's 6th in the NHL with 19 goals walk at $4.25M.

Now they're re-signing Tanner Pearson, who has 11 points in 33 games at $3.25M.

This doesn't seem like ideal asset management putting it mildly.

lol at "ideal" I'd be happy.........well not happy but somewhat less discontented if Benning could improve to middle of the pack, which this seems to be. It's a poor decision which is better than the many dreadful ones that came before.

Teacher Report: After an extremely slow start Jimmy is showing belated signs of improvement and if this trend continues I expect him to pass this course with perhaps as high a grade as C-.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:08 pm 

Fuck, fuck, fuck...............I can't believe just one post back I was generously consider Benning was improving and offerered him a C minus rating.

If this is true, then again its a big F for failing. And with Benning I'm 99% sure it is true.

Quote:
And we haven’t even talked about the 2021 Expansion Draft yet. If the reporting of Thomas Drance is to be believed — and it almost always is — Pearson and Canucks’ management have a handshake agreement that Pearson will be protected from selection by the Seattle Kraken.

He’ll join Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, and Bo Horvat in occupying five of Vancouver’s seven protection slots for forwards. That leaves two slots for all of Motte, Virtanen, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, Zack MacEwen, and anyone else they add or retain to fight for.

No way in hell the Nucks should be giving up any of these players for Pearson at this time of their development.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:41 pm 

What do you expect from Mr. Yes Man? This is an inside job. The owner absolutely loves the guy. Like why not do a one year deal and test where the market goes? They are probably spooked by losing every single free agent last year. Pearson isn't even a special teams player so there's not a lot of added value there, proving once again that this league buys into the championship pedigree fallacy and none more than Jimbo (see also Beagle, Holtby, Toffoli ...oh wait.)

What a bunch of dumbaases. Like what are Travis Green and Ian Clarke thinking right now? "Fuck this lot" - I bet.

Let's go Kraken! :can:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:25 pm 

Quote:
“When we talked to his agent, we kind of went through the process and decided that if he goes to free agency that this number is probably the number he is going to get in free agency,” said Benning.

good grief, he knowingly paid full sticker price? This is not the Aquilini way at all. They screw over contractors on work done, they didn't get rich by being fair and honest..........lol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:38 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Quote:
“When we talked to his agent, we kind of went through the process and decided that if he goes to free agency that this number is probably the number he is going to get in free agency,” said Benning.
good grief, he knowingly paid full sticker price? This is not the Aquilini way at all. They screw over contractors on work done, they didn't get rich by being fair and honest..........lol
I think the Canucks paid a premium, well above sticker price for Pearson at 3 years no less.

They talked to his agent and determined that? :lol: What a joke. Middle 6 winger heading towards bottom 6 guy for a 1/3 of a point per game player.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:07 pm 
Old Man of the Post

While Jay Beagle is the latest to join the COVID protocol list...

"Other NHL GMs offload premium assets for a good return, Benning is still trying to figure out how to use the calculator function on his Casio watch..." Gotta love Twitter...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:42 pm 

I keep getting so irritated about the Gaudette trade. Really worthwhile, cheap, young player for someone who will not be on the team next year. This only makes sense in light of the Pearson deal and being unable to protect him. Even then its immensely dumb as now we lose Gaudette and one of the other 4 still out there. One of Benning's dumbest moves ever.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:23 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Fogghorn wrote:
I keep getting so irritated about the Gaudette trade. Really worthwhile, cheap, young player for someone who will not be on the team next year. This only makes sense in light of the Pearson deal and being unable to protect him. Even then its immensely dumb as now we lose Gaudette and one of the other 4 still out there. One of Benning's dumbest moves ever.

One of the rumors swirling now is that the team is pissed that AG was Patient Zero on the team and JB was willing to take peanuts for him; also that his wife is a COVID denier, anti-masker and Trump supporter. I don't see that in their Twitter posts, but I don't frequent IG so perhaps there's something there.

The team was adamant that the actual Patient Zero was not a player at all - still, the timing and return suggest that the Canucks were ready to divest. Perhaps they see Jimmy Vesey as having more upside and they felt the need to get back to the Jay Beagle/Brandon Sutter type of player to be their 3C.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:50 pm 

Sekeres reports that COVID was the last straw for Gauds contrary to what was reported via SN's Ian Macintyre.

Online gaming on a nightly basis via Twitch with fans, talks with the coaching staff feeling as though he had 'arrived 'and deserved more consistent minutes in the top 6, a previously undiagnosed rare stomach disorder preventing him from putting on weight -- Cody Hodgson 2.0 by the sounds of it.

The very notion of 'Patient Zero' is patent nonsense in light of reports that no protocols were broken, but rumours are that many players were not pleased with the situation of Gauds being the first COVID case within the team. I guess we are left to speculate but it sounds like there was more of a history there with Gaudette than we were led to believe.

Trade rumours have been swirling around him most of the season so take it for what it's worth.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:03 am 

19 games in 31 days with 1 practice after 3 weeks off, no coach, just over 1/2 a team and zero chance of a playoff birth. :nar:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:24 pm 

This article does a better job of criticizing Benning's short comings than anything I've seen. It also applies to almost every other GM in the league.

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/04/17/jim- ... cks-price/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:33 pm 
Old Man of the Post

So they pull out an OT win somehow against the Leafs. The Leafs get a 5 minute PP courtesy of a dirty knee-on-knee hit by Edler on Hyman (my gf can't not laugh whenever she hears that name) and score just their 2nd PP goal in 44 attempts with 19 seconds left - that by itself was a win for the Canuckleheads... They played without Schmidt and of course Edler. He would have been better off just wrapping his arms around Hyman and hauling him down.

If you only see one play from this game, make it the WTF save by Holtby on Simmonds with the score 2-1...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:02 pm 
OTP Historian

That save :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:54 am 
Old Man of the Post

Bosc wrote:
That save :shock:

Apparently, he practices shit like that... :lol:

So Holtby puts in another great performance and allows only 3 goals on 40 shots.

Leafs lose 5 consecutive games for the first time this season. I will attribute their no contact defense in front of Rittich and Campbell as part of their social distancing safety protocol... They better figure this out for the playoffs or they're in big trouble. Rittich was just plain bad.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next