Landeskog - MacKinnon - Namestnikov
Nieto - Compher - Donskoi
Dries - Jost - Nichushkin
Kamenev - Bellemare - O'Connor

Graves - Girard
Cole - Johnson
Connauton - Barberio

Francouz

Holy Mother of God, that's a depleted lineup.

Only two changes from the OTL against the Ducks--Martin Kaut was sent down to avoid burning his ELC, and after laying a giant turd on the ice, Nikita Zadorov will be in the press box while Kevin Connauton gets to face off against the team that drafted him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:26 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Not a goalie clinic thus far tonight. Both netminders looking terrible.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:13 am 

Yep, that went about how I thought it was gonna go.

Avs with an AHL roster still managed to outplay the Canucks but just make enough big mistakes and did not get the goaltending. Avs did a decent-enough job of shutting down the Quinn Hughes juggernaut but Pettersson and the Canucks 4th line ventilated Frankie.

Ian Cole was so bad (played a role in at least 4 of the Canucks' 6 goals tonight) he basically got benched in the 3rd.

Apparently MacKinnon lost his shit on Bednar, dude is frustrated as all hell right now.

Anyway, I didn't particularly think the Myers hit was dirty but it was a penalty, and in a vulnerable position. Unfortunately Erik Johnson stupidly tries to get in Myers' face and cancels out the power play. Landeskog was kvetching about that call, but I don't know what the issue was. Sometimes they don't call the extracurricular shit, sometimes they do. Just take the goddamn power play, dolts.

Avs will be fine, but dang...they gotta get some bodies back.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:35 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Did Cale Makar actually play? Didn't see him or hear his name called... Nerve-racking game to watch and that was when it was 3-1. 'Nucks still giving up way too many chances and relying on better-than average goaltending to win games.

By all rights, this team doesn't deserve anything more than a wild card spot. Which IMO, is about what I expected before the season started.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:09 am 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Did Cale Makar actually play? Didn't see him or hear his name called... Nerve-racking game to watch and that was when it was 3-1. 'Nucks still giving up way too many chances and relying on better-than average goaltending to win games.

By all rights, this team doesn't deserve anything more than a wild card spot. Which IMO, is about what I expected before the season started.

No, he's been hurt for a while now.

Some interesting strategy from Green, and I don't know if he does this with all teams or just the Avs last night. I noticed he's VERY aggressive sending at least one forward out before the Canucks have successfully exited the zone. Makes for more breakaways, which they scored on, but it also leaves the goalie vulnerable. If indeed they do this a lot it would explain why they've blown so many leads of late.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:25 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
Some interesting strategy from Green, and I don't know if he does this with all teams or just the Avs last night. I noticed he's VERY aggressive sending at least one forward out before the Canucks have successfully exited the zone. Makes for more breakaways, which they scored on, but it also leaves the goalie vulnerable. If indeed they do this a lot it would explain why they've blown so many leads of late.

I've been wondering about this too. I think this breakout strategy has been in place since November. When it works, it looks great, and with Markstrom holding the fort, it's ok but I think it leads to far too many outnumbered chances against in their own zone. Vancouver has been outshot consistently and I think they are gambling on their ability to score quickly on the counter to offset those chances against. IMO, they don't do this (score on the counter) better than anyone else...

Now I think Marky's been overworked and it's starting to show as injuries. The system counts on them having better than average goaltending, and when that isn't there... :argh:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:55 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

You can only do so much with what you got.