OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:17 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Canucks slam the Kings in home opener 8-2. Man the Kings are pretty bad, but Quick looked terrible. Confused, often out of position and was hung out to dry by their D. Hutton gets a point in his return to Vancouver and was one of their best D last night, which tells you a lot about the defensive corps in general.

Doughty stirs the pot in post game interview saying the Kings had no business losing to a team like them - referencing the Canucks. Look in the mirror dude.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:18 pm 

Best Canucks through 4 games.

1. Jacob Markstrom - proving that last year wasn't a mirage and has kept the Canucks in all 4 games to start the season. Contract year so that comes as no surprise.
2. JT Miller - came has advertised, a highly skilled forward who moved up to the top line with Boes and Petey after 2 games (5 points in 4 games).
3. Quinn Hughes - his skating and vision have been off the charts, a defenseman with talent likes of which we have never scene in these parts managing the Canuck blue line.
4. Tanner Pearson - has 11 goals in 22 games dating back to last year when he was acquired. After being spooked by being traded twice in one season, he seems to have found a home with Horvat on the 2nd line.

Honorable mention to Chris Tanev who has 3 points in 4 games. Might as well take it while we can before the injury bug hits. Petey and Boes have been decent and have had their looks but have not been off the charts dominant. They will be fine though.

Michael Ferland looks lost out there and has been a non-factor. Hopefully not the second coming of Little Things (who's been in the press box 3 games in a row).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:29 pm 

Greasy come from behind win against the Champs after being down 3-1 late in the 2nd. Demko was a wall.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:11 pm 

10-3 over the Wings in 2 games. Horvat with the hattrick. A long way from April but it seems this is at least a team that could vie for a playoff spot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:43 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Solid, solid game last night.

Been most impressed with JT Miller; he seems to always be in the right spot and doing the right things. Myers has also exceeded my expectations; he's been solid and with Edler have been a great shutdown pairing.

The team speed on the counterattack looks amazing - Quinn and Myers seem to be have transformed the team into one that can attack in waves; they were all over the Panthers.

It's great that they are getting goals from throughout the lineup - here they are 7-3-1 and Petterson and Boeser have - what maybe 8 goals between them?

Nice that Horvat may be starting to develop some chemistry with Virtanen. Good first game back from Erikkson.

We'll see where this team is in a month...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:52 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Tidy 5-3 win that probably flattered the Kings as they were outshot 49-24.

Ferland has a UBI after a first period fight after the Kings opened the scoring, didn't return after that but it seemed to get the team untracked. Boeser with the hattie, Horvat and Petterson. PP goes 4 for 6 :shock: while the PK goes 5/6.

Nice siteherefor statheads...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:10 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Tidy 5-3 win that probably flattered the Kings as they were outshot 49-24.

Ferland has a UBI after a first period fight after the Kings opened the scoring, didn't return after that but it seemed to get the team untracked. Boeser with the hattie, Horvat and Petterson. PP goes 4 for 6 :shock: while the PK goes 5/6.

Nice siteherefor statheads...
"A Team Like That" - Drew Doughty. That was quick. They could've at least made a nice t-shirt. :lol: #marketingopp #bunchofjerks.

https://vanbase.ca/collections/mens-t-s ... at-t-shirt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:37 pm 

Pettersson for the Selke? I knew he was good defensively, didn't realize he was elite. It's early in the season, even if he carried on as is for the rest of the year I can't see a sophomore getting this trophy, it takes awhile to acquire this reputation around the league. Still its fun to speculate.

https://canucksarmy.com/2019/11/02/the- ... hls-elite/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:01 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Colour me impressed after a 2-1 OT loss to the 2019 Stanley Cup champs. That's 3 out of a possible 4 points against that club.

Highlights for me:
- Leivo has been great and seems to be the most consistent and successful forechecker; he seems to make Horvat or Sutter's lines better whenever he's on them; BG had a great writeup on that in the Athletic
- The team outplayed St. Louis for much of the first two periods, and kept pressing until the tying goal - there's no giving up for this club; they are definitely playing entertaining hockey again
- Been very impressed with the way Sutter has been playing this season; he's found money as a 3C and with Leivo on his wing, they keep getting great chances

Still a few warts:
- Big Tuna was observed by some to have a great game but it looked to be more of the same to me - lots of speed and size but little in the way of affecting the outcome
- Wasn't a fan of Markstrom destroying his goalie stick after the OT goal - WTF was he supposed to do on a 3 on 0 break? He played well enough to win; he needs to keep his temper in check if he wants to be seriously considered as a #1.
- The PP went 0 for 4 but that had a lot more to with the road team I think
- Erikkson at this stage of his career is pretty useless. Cannot wait for him to be displaced by Roussel (December) or Ferland. At this rate, he's one of the holdovers from the Sea of Granlund.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:13 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
- Wasn't a fan of Markstrom destroying his goalie stick after the OT goal - WTF was he supposed to do on a 3 on 0 break? He played well enough to win; he needs to keep his temper in check if he wants to be seriously considered as a #1.

Levio is good but gets sheltered ozone minutes.

Regarding Markstrom, I disagree with you. Billy Smith, Ron Hextall, and of course Patrick Roy to name just a few were all great goalies, with huge tempers. But Ray Ferraro covers it better than I can.

Quote:
TSN: What’s your read on Markstrom breaking his stick?

Ferarro: He was angry.

TSN: Was he showing up his teammates?

Ferarro: Oh, bullcrap. Come on. It was a 3-on-0, he was pissed off so he smashed his stick into 100 pieces.

TSN: All I said was that I thought some people might have read it that way.

Ferarro: Here’s the thing guys. This is why the public never gets it. The guys don’t care. He didn’t show them up. What they saw is the goalie looked up and saw a 3-on-0 and he was pissed off and he smashed his stick into a hundered pieces. By the time he got back to the locker room, that was over, and the guys said ‘hey good game Marky, sorry we screwed up.’

TSN: We had so many mesages in the inbox about being ‘a bad role model’ and ‘showing bad sportsmanship’ by breaking the stick over the post.

Ferarro: Go play rec league. It’s his job. He’s pissed off. Sportsmanship? Oh, I can’t even say what I’m thinking right now.

TSN: Like, what’s little Johnny going to do when he gives up a goal in Atom? Break his $300 goaie stick?

Ferarro: Guess what? If he breaks his stick, his dad is going to say ‘if you do that again, then you don’t play.’ Take some responsibility if you’re a damn parent. Don’t be a puppet. Parent your own kid. Why do you need Jakob Markstrom to parent your kid? Are you clueless? God, that pisses me off. It really does. A bad role model? Pfft.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:13 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Yeah, goalies tend to be kinda crazy, I don't see any problem with it.

If you want to see a goalie with overly-demonstrative body language who sometimes shows up his teammates, watch Devan Dubnyk when the Wylde are losing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:00 pm 

Go back to the Skate jerseys full time, use the Stick-In-Rink as your third, and ditch those dumbass Orca logos once and for all.

It's funny, I commented before after an Avs/Nucks game maybe last season that I thought Markstrom looked weak on his catcher side. Last night, I thought Demko looked kinda weak on his blocker side. Pretty sure all but one or two of the goals the Avs scored were on that side.

Pettersson, Hughes, and Boeser are all on another planet. I thought Horvat looked good but I didn't think he had a particularly great game, not compared to when I've seen him previously. Tanev was quite good. No other players I saw really stood out one way or the other. Virtanen was mentioned a couple times but was pretty much a non-factor.

I put my thoughts about the whole blow-the-play-dead things in the Avs forum, not going to go into it here.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:07 pm 

Hmm - interesting thought on the black skate jersey Tom. They've gone the longest in team history with the current colour scheme and Orca look. It would be hard to imagine them changing back again after so many iterations throughout the years. I agree that the black skate jerseys look better. They are definitely unique but they seem irrelevant to the younger generation despite offering a well aged, classic look.

With respect the game, while it was exciting from an entertainment point of view, the Canucks were outclassed last night. They can't keep giving up the lead early and expect to make the playoffs. MacKinnon and Makar were unreal - just wait until Landy and Ranty are back in the lineup. Elite team.

The Canucks were not good in their own end and on loose puck battles in general - too many odd man rushes, perhaps caused by a superior Avs counter speed game of their own.

That first Avs goal seemed to pave the road for a tough night for Demko - screened deflection high glove, not much he could have done with that one. Av's goals 2, 3 & 5 were indeed high blocker on Demko, but to be fair, where in the royal fuck was the defensive cover on those plays? Straight off the rush from the slot. Miller with the non-existent back check on the OT winner. Maybe this is a blind spot for Ian Clark and his goalie development schema?

Apart from who Tom already mentioned from the Canucks, Gaudette had another strong game for the Canucks with two goals and seems to be emerging as a powerful 2 way center. Other than that, the growing pains are apparent with this team who will be in tough to secure a playoff spot come April.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:05 pm 
Old Man of the Post

There was a question recently that if you had the entire NHL to build yourself a roster, and you had second overall pick (i.e. McJesus is consensus #1 overall), who would you pick? Mine would be Nathan McKinnon. Good lord, he's amazing. And he's doing this without Landeskog and Rantanen… And they have an emerging blueline headlined by Makar and soon, Bowen Byram... Holy crap are they set up for the next ten years...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:20 pm 

Funny...I might pick Pettersson. I think he is already easily the most talented Vancouver Canuck of all time.

Don't get me wrong, MacKinnon is astounding to watch. I just remember it took him a while to finally hit his stride (which has in its own way benefited the Avs since they have him at a ridiculous discount for the next few years), while Pettersson pretty much hit the ground running.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:21 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I keep forgetting that McKinnon is in his 7th year now. He still looks scary as McJesus when he's coming at you at full speed with time and space in the neutral zone.

On another note, unless he can prove otherwise, I think I'm now firmly in the "Olli Juolevi is a bust" camp - he's back in Vancouver for further tests and is off the Comets' roster. Apparently, he isn't quite 100% - and was in tough to make the Comets' lineup. I had hoped he could be a midseason call-up option but I don't think that's in the cards.

The depth chart on that left D now looks like:
Edler
Hughes
Benn
Fantenburg
Sautner
Brisebois
Teves
Rathbone

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:50 pm 

Agree with the above ^^^. Back luck can derail a career early as much as injury and in Joulevi's case, he had plenty of both. He may be tradable as an unfinished project but won't ever be worth much.

Nice win today over the biennial champs. Marky back on track with a 40 save performance - and with a goal today, Pettersson now has 95 points in 95 career games. Ovi left off the score sheet so a good solid victory all in all for the Canucks who are now 2-1 on this season long six game roadie.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:03 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Concerned about the emerging trend these last 6-10 games where they are beginning to lose the puck possession and CORSI battles. They were outshot and outscored 2-1 last night in Philly. They looked good against WA, not so much against NA but I was willing to give them the score effects alibi for that one. Edler-Myers is regressing back to where I think they should be which is a halfway decent second pairing. Myers looks big and slow and when the forwards don't come back to help, they look pretty bad overall.

Hands up whoever thought the season required a healthy Motte, Beagle and Sutter?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:54 am 

Quote:
Pearson scored twice, and added two assists, while Tyler Graovac, Loui Eriksson Josh Leivo and tallied the other markers for the Canucks

:kraken: :lol: :P :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:46 am 

Not the greatest game in the world but that was one hell of a finish

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next