OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Burrows with the Sedins
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:55 pm 
More Mysterious than Outright Freaky

Last night we may have witnessed the beginning of a new era in Canuck lore.When AV put Burrows out with the Sedins he looked pretty good.We could see in the next few games:

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Demitra Sundin Kesler
Pyatt Wellwood Bernier
Raymond Johnson Hansen

hordichuk in the press box

AV could actually roll 4 lines any of which could score.Pyatt Bernier Hansen could all be interchanged in any combination with Burrows going back to third line if he can't produce with the twins.Burrows deserves a chance he can't be any worse than pyatt with twins(I am not knocking him)he's just not producing enough.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:02 pm 
Vegemite Enthusiast

I like the idea, is that why I saw Henrik on the ice after Burrows goal, I thought it was just mid line change or something.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:07 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

So what makes this different from the 342 previous linemates who've been paired with the Wonder Twins and worked for a short time before disappearing?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:09 pm 

CanuckinOz wrote:
I like the idea, is that why I saw Henrik on the ice after Burrows goal, I thought it was just mid line change or something.
Yeah I think he earned it.I mean if Kesler can get Sundin & Demitra going why not use Burrows to get the wonder twins going?
Burrows has the work ethic & a nose for the net & he's defencively responsible.

Last edited by freakydave on Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:15 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
So what makes this different from the 342 previous linemates who've been paired with the Wonder Twins and worked for a short time before disappearing?
That's the beauty of it---if it works great --if it works for a couple games & then doesn't Burrows just slides back into the 3rd line roll he's worked so hard to keep in the first place -- no harm no foul--

It's a win win situation for both the players & the coach.Plus doing it now will still give evaluation time before the trade deadline.The guy has earned it with his play & the fact that Kesler has found some success on the 2nd line.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:40 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

freakydave wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
That's the beauty of it---if it works great --if it works for a couple games & then doesn't Burrows just slides back into the 3rd line roll he's worked so hard to keep in the first place -- no harm no foul--

It's a win win situation for both the players & the coach.Plus doing it now will still give evaluation time before the trade deadline.The guy has earned it with his play & the fact that Kesler has found some success on the 2nd line.

Yes but then you're stuck once again with the problem of whom to place with the Sedins.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:51 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
freakydave wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Yes but then you're stuck once again with the problem of whom to place with the Sedins.
That & a puck moving d man(cough *Liles*cough) are what the trade deadline are for---with Raymond & SOB , Pyatt , Bieksa all available to be moved. If nothing can be done Pyatt wins by default.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:06 am 
Old Man of the Post

Burrows with the Sedins will last all of five minutes... I really can't see AV holding that line together for very long. He needs Burrows in the shutdown role with Kesler on that top line.

Can't see MG putting BXA on the market; he's been shaky lately, but he just signed a new contract last year and between him and Edler, they are the core defensemen that they need to build around in front of Luongo. They don't have anything close on the farm and Ohlund probably isn't being re-signed; Salo an 50 game a year machine, and Mitchell's contract is expiring after next season. Unless he gets back a solid defenceman in return, I just can't see MG trading BXA.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:55 pm 

well Tcl
These were the lines at practice yesterday

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Demitra-Sundin-Kesler
Pyatt-Wellwood-Bernier
Hansen-Johnson-Horichuk

I am glad to see Wellwood back in the line up.

AV isn't playing the line matching game anymore the 1A & 1B lines will go head to head with the oppositions best (playing tough minutes) so Burrows will have a chance to earn a regular spot on the Sedin line.I am all for the death of the shut down line.

Your 100% right about only trading a dman if they get a dman back.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:01 pm 
No Longer Croozin'

freakydave wrote:
I am glad to see Wellwood back in the line up.

Agreed,But I would like to see Wellwood back on the PP with the Twins,It seems to me that that is where we got the most production from him,Also,If Burrows doesn't work out with the twins than AV should put Wellwood back on that line for at least a 3 game stint as I think his style matches up well with them.Jmho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:03 am 
Loves The Cock

i like this because i have burrows in the otp money league :woop:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:21 am 
Old Man of the Post

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Burrows with the Sedins will last all of five minutes... I really can't see AV holding that line together for very long.

freakydave wrote:
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Demitra-Sundin-Kesler
Pyatt-Wellwood-Bernier
Hansen-Johnson-Horichuk

I stand corrected. :beer: More power to them if they can continue to be effective.

I can imagine that GMMG would be fielding offers for MayRay right about now; I can see him looking at MayRay and wondering if he'll get as much utility out of Grabner, perhaps with slightly better finish. He can also call up Ouellet and Jaffray if need be.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:29 am 
Old Man of the Post

Burrows expected to triple his salary next season and wants to re-sign with Van.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:40 am 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Burrows expected to triple his salary next season and wants to re-sign with Van.

If he was looking for triple it'd be done by now. I'm sure his agent is starting his demands north of $2 million, and we'll see where it goes from there.

He's exactly the type of guy who will get significantly overpaid on the open market, so he has a good amount of leverage.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:32 pm 

Jyrki21 wrote:

If he was looking for triple it'd be done by now. I'm sure his agent is starting his demands north of $2 million, and we'll see where it goes from there.

He's exactly the type of guy who will get significantly overpaid on the open market, so he has a good amount of leverage.

Hey Jyrki21
Is it a coaching mistake to have 3 ufa's as your top line?
it occurs to me the 3 of them could be gone for nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:09 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

freakydave wrote:
Jyrki21 wrote:

Hey Jyrki21
Is it a coaching mistake to have 3 ufa's as your top line?
it occurs to me the 3 of them could be gone for nothing.

That'd be a management problem not a coaching one. The coach is paid to win games, the GM is paid to deal with building the best team possible.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:02 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Trade for someone to finish the year with the Twins then see how Burrows production goes.

Didn't Carter try and convert Twin aided production into a big deal and fail?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:04 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Hounsy wrote:
Trade for someone to finish the year with the Twins then see how Burrows production goes.

Didn't Carter try and convert Twin aided production into a big deal and fail?

He did go from $1m to $2.5m or something like that, but only got a one year deal with a desperate Columbus team.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:08 pm 
King of the One-Liner

sorry, should of specified resign with Nucks.

Anyway Antropov has been playing the right side and rock solid rumour sites( :mrgreen: ) have him linked to the Nucks.

Haha I'm such a troll...I haven't asked for Schneider in this thread...yet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:40 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Hounsy wrote:
sorry, should of specified resign with Nucks.

Anyway Antropov has been playing the right side and rock solid rumour sites( :mrgreen: ) have him linked to the Nucks.

Haha I'm such a troll...I haven't asked for Schneider in this thread...yet.

Pfffttt, not even an e5... On the other hand, he did have Sundin to the Rangers as an e4, did he not?