OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:43 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Nice win by the Canucks over the Preds last night, in the end the score was closer than the game actually was. Pettersson with a sick deke goal on Rinne after being awarded a penalty shot for getting shoved into the goal post by Eckholm. He added a PP assist and both Virt and Horvat chip in with a goal and helper each. Man the Canucks (and their fans) needed that.

That's just 2 wins in 14 games - so not good.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:42 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Nice win by the Canucks over the Preds last night, in the end the score was closer than the game actually was. Pettersson with a sick deke goal on Rinne after being awarded a penalty shot for getting shoved into the goal post by Eckholm. He added a PP assist and both Virt and Horvat chip in with a goal and helper each. Man the Canucks (and their fans) needed that.

That's just 2 wins in 14 games - so not good.

Actually I don't need the win at all. I was very happy with October, it was to me a glimpse of the future and its exciting. However the team needs one more elite player and needs Quinn Hughes to become all-star level to win a cup. I want a team that can realistically compete for the SC not just make the playoffs and that means a bit more suckage to accrue good drafts. We're back in lottery contention this year and I'd be absolutely tickled pink to have the team led by the Hughes brothers for the next decade.

1. Petterssen is all we could have hoped for
2. Gaudette is looking like a solid keeper
3. Hutton steps up
4. Poke's fav, Virtanen is making significant improvements
5. The farm has young developing talent
6. Horvat is a beast

To me I see positives for the future every where I look and if the youngin's can keep improving while improving the lottery odds that's my favorite fantasy (Mr. Benning, please trade Tanev and Edler, they are not part of the teams future but are good enough to hinder the tank)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:20 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Hah...I'll admit "Shotgun Jake" is keeping it simple and succeeding as a result. Should give the Oilers hope with Jesse Poolparty, another guy with immense talent/size who doesn't have a ton going on upstairs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:57 pm 

Another relatively easy victory for for the Nucks over the Blues 5-1 last night, after an ever so brief meltdown by Allen mid game.

That's number 11 for #Shotgun Jake and another assist for EP, giving him 36 points in 32 games leading all NHL rookies.

Too much winning for Foggy's liking ;) -- but this is the season they are galvanizing a team identity, learning some hard lessons on how to play with consistency in the NHL night in, night out, which seems to come with streaky play.
Unfortunately, Tanev's trade value is at an all time low (late round pick?) and Edler wants to stay. Could actually see Benning re-signing him if you can believe it.

The Canucks are still on track to miss the playoffs, but it won't be by much, garnering a low % draft lottery ticket.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:18 pm 

They're winning with mediocre goaltending and a pretty gawdawful blueline corps, that should tell ya just how good Pettersson and Boeser are. They absolutely plummet whenever one of those guys is out, but with both of them in, they have a chance of beating anyone.

I still think "Shotgun Jake" is as dumb as a post, but hey, there are plenty of talented dumbasses in the NHL so good for him.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:43 pm 

I've been watching the streak unfold ever since I put up my last post. Yeah part of me loves it but part of me believes that this team will never have what it takes to make a couple SC appearances. Unless Hughes becomes a Hall of Fame caliber defenseman and that is unrealistic. I just don't want to be Calgary, or Colorado type team. A few good picks but not quite enough to do more than win a playoff round and then out.

On the other hand Poke is right about Pettersen and Boeser. That pairing has a realistic shot of being better than the Sedin's and with Horvat playing the role of Kesler as a grade A caliber centermen on the second line, its going to be a very good team.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:20 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
I've been watching the streak unfold ever since I put up my last post. Yeah part of me loves it but part of me believes that this team will never have what it takes to make a couple SC appearances. Unless Hughes becomes a Hall of Fame caliber defenseman and that is unrealistic. I just don't want to be Calgary, or Colorado type team. A few good picks but not quite enough to do more than win a playoff round and then out.

On the other hand Poke is right about Pettersen and Boeser. That pairing has a realistic shot of being better than the Sedin's and with Horvat playing the role of Kesler as a grade A caliber centermen on the second line, its going to be a very good team.
Agreed. To quote Botchford, "You need an ARMY." I think we can agree that Benning & staff have some tremendous gifts within their amateur scouting ranks, but when it comes to pro scouting and negotiating trades through that lense, they have fallen terribly flat.

Josh Leivo looks to be a solid pick up, but that's after about 15 failed attempts at a consistent top 9 player and Free Agency signings up the wazoo.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:01 pm 
Big in Japan

How's Del Zotto been? Seems like a possible deadline move.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:37 am 

E.L. wrote:

Does his best work from the press box. Can't imagine who would want him but if they could get a 6th round pick for him it would be a positive for the team.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:01 pm 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Does his best work from the press box.

:lol: Nice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:27 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Does his best work from the press box.
:lol: Nice
:lol: He can barely crack an already thin D corps in Vancouver, which says a lot. DJ Dude is bush league. All about pumping iron and the tunes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:28 pm 

If Benning were a smart man he could maybe flip MDZ for a low-round pick or depth scrub. He's a puckmoving defenseman who plays with a mean streak--surely SOMEONE out there still overvalues players like that (other than Benning that is).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:03 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
If Benning were a smart man he could maybe flip MDZ for a low-round pick or depth scrub. He's a puckmoving defenseman who plays with a mean streak--surely SOMEONE out there still overvalues players like that (other than Benning that is).

Lose the puckmoving part and Chiarelli would be all over that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:34 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

True.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:59 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

True.
MDZ is a case of diminishing returns. He simply cannot play stout D against today's speed game and half the time looks out of his depth defending in his own zone. As far as the puck moving part goes, presume we mean he effectively moves the puck to the opposition. Chiarelli just might bite. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:56 am 

Good Lord...what is even the fecking point?

Quote:
Ducks not done reshaping things. Hearing they've acquired Michael Del Zotto from Canucks for Luke Schenn and a seventh-round pick.

https://twitter.com/icemancometh/status ... 5424751616

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:08 pm 

They needed to make room for Pettersson's return who has been out for more than 2 weeks after being injured against Habs....

So, great, the Canucks move on from a signing that didn’t work to getting a low draft pick.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:51 pm 

Somehow the Canucks are now in a battle for a wildcard spot and the teams they are competing with seem to be struggling. It's been quite a roller coaster ride for the Canucks so far this season. Decent October, terrible November, very good December and decent January so far. The swings can be attributed to a number of factors: schedule, injuries, the play of Markstrom and of course good old luck. Whether they can sustain their recent run since early December is up for debate.It will probably come down to those same factors that got them here. I'm torn between hoping for a great pick vs making the playoffs. Either way, this season is a lot more interesting than the last few.

Canadian Teams since Dec 5th
Calgary : 14-4-3 (.738)
Vancouver: 12-5-3 (.675)
Winnipeg: 14-7-0 (.667)
Montreal: 14-8-0 (.636)
Toronto: 9-9-2 (.500)
Edmonton: 9-11-1 (.429)
Ottawa 6-12-4 (.364)

Last edited by VHF on Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:05 pm 

VHF wrote:
Somehow the Canucks are now in a battle for a wildcard spot and the teams they are competing with seem to be struggling. It's been quite a roller coaster ride for the Canucks so far this season. Decent October, terrible November, very good December and decent January so far. The swings can be attributed to a number of factors: schedule, injuries, the play of Markstrom and of course good old luck. Whether they can sustain their recent run since early December is up for debate.It will probably come down to those same factors that got them here. I'm torn between hoping for a great pick vs making the playoffs. Either way, this season is a lot more interesting than the last few.

Canadian Teams since Dec 5th
Calgary : 14-4-3 (.738)
Vancouver: 12-5-3 (.675)
Winnipeg: 14-7-0 (.667)
Montreal: 14-8-0 (.636)
Toronto: 9-9-2 (.500)
Edmonton: 9-11-1 (.429)
Ottawa 6-12-4 (.364) « less
Yeah, feel the same way. Rebuild just getting on track and the team is enjoying some success of late, but they still have a long way to go. Sitting here today, I want Pettersson and Boeser, Horvat to do well, but want a high draft pick so don't care about the wins - however when watching the actual games, I want the win.

BTW, how do you calculate winning % given the OTL column?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:11 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
BTW, how do you calculate winning % given the OTL column?

I used points %, not winning %. It's more relevant to the regular season standings at this time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next