OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:25 pm 
Big in Japan

End of an era in Vancouver. No Cups but a Final and years of quality play. 18 seasons for the twins in one city, which is pretty remarkable but understandable given they were always a package deal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:08 pm 
OTP Historian

Someone suggested this and it would be a completely awesome move...raise their sweaters to the rafters at the end of their last game. Amazing careers together.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:18 pm 

Didn't want it to end yet, another year please. The Nucks will almost certainly ice 5 rookies. They could have benefited from the Sedin's. But mostly I don't want to see them go. Like ever.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:50 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Fogghorn wrote:
Didn't want it to end yet, another year please. The Nucks will almost certainly ice 5 rookies. They could have benefited from the Sedin's. But mostly I don't want to see them go. Like ever.

Yeah, I don't think we'll ever see players like them ever again in the NHL, or any other sport for that matter. I was kinda hoping Milan Hejduk's boys would be the next Sedins, but one of them opted to become a defenseman. :jerkbag: :lol:

The two of them are so very unique. They didn't hit their (collective) prime until around age 25, most NHL stars hit the ground running and peak around 20-24. I remember Gillis at his introductory press conference openly questioning whether they were players he could build around (obviously he chose to do so and succeeded better than anyone else by a wide margin). Their game wasn't built on speed at all, yet they never really looked out of place in an ever-quicker NHL, though they obviously hit a decline the last 2-3 seasons.

I think if they had been blessed with even halfway-competent management the team probably could've done a quick rebuild/retooling and been competitive again inside of 2-3 years. But the disastrous decision to go with John Tortorella more or less destroyed any chance they had of doing that, Benning and Linden just added salt to the wound.

Anyhow, I remember bashing them on a regular basis back in the West Coast Express days, I can say well over a decade later that I have eaten my fair share of crow, and happily so. They were fun to watch, even when they were frustrating the hell out of the Avs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:00 pm 

and remember Jyrki and Razz arguing over them endlessly? Wonder what Razz would have to say today?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:49 am 

They definitely are not going to settle into retirement and surf TV and work on their Dad bod. They ran the North Shore Iron Knee race and finished 2 seconds apart after 25km. I've hiking these trails, not a smooth surface, roots and rocks and hard elevation gains, worse than a marathon I'd suspect.

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/daniel-and-henrik-sedin-finish-two-seconds-apart-at-iron-knee-25k-race-1.23316515

Elevation profile below, its pretty brutal run.

http://www.solanaleigh.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/chartElevationProfile-1.png