OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:00 am 
Old Man of the Post

:fffffuck:

Will be interesting to see what the Game 1 roster looks like and compare it to Game 82...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:06 am 
Big in Japan

I like Horvat and Boeser. That's a good start. Baertschi can score 20 too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:31 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Nilsson did not look very good in his first 2 starts -- but looked good tonight. Markstrom has been solid. With no proven NHL starter, goaltending is a crap shoot this year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:58 am 

Virtanen seems to have finally received the memo and has showed well this preseason. He skates well and adds physicality but doesn't try to be the hero every shift. Seems Travis Green's work with him in Utica has paid off. Would be good for them to continue the process in the NHL.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:09 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Buh bye , Andrey Pedan and a 4th rounder in 2018, welcome Derrick Puoliot... What's the scoop on him?

I had high hopes for Pedan being at least a serviceable depth defenceman with size and mobility.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:28 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Buh bye , Andrey Pedan and a 4th rounder in 2018, welcome Derrick Puoliot... What's the scoop on him?

I had high hopes for Pedan being at least a serviceable depth defenceman with size and mobility.

Dude was taken 8th overall in 2012 (overall this is looking like a very poor draft class), and has pretty much gone full bust since then.

https://www.pensburgh.com/2017/10/3/164 ... round-pick

He's big. Really big. I suppose Vancouver has nothing to lose by taking a flier on him but the fact that Pittsburgh is taking what amounts to nothing in exchange for him should pretty much tell you what you need to know. Couldn't beat out Matt effing Hunwick for a roster spot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:32 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Buh bye , Andrey Pedan and a 4th rounder in 2018, welcome Derrick Puoliot... What's the scoop on him? I had high hopes for Pedan being at least a serviceable depth defenceman with size and mobility.
Dude was taken 8th overall in 2012 (overall this is looking like a very poor draft class), and has pretty much gone full bust since then.

https://www.pensburgh.com/2017/10/3/164 ... round-pick. He's big. Really big. I suppose Vancouver has nothing to lose by taking a flier on him but the fact that Pittsburgh is taking what amounts to nothing in exchange for him should pretty much tell you what you need to know.

Couldn't beat out Matt effing Hunwick for a roster spot.
True. But lest we forget not making the roster of the two time SC champs is a lot different than playing for a spot on the 28th and 29th place team in the league the last two seasons. Dude also has a history with Green so maybe there is some trust and potential there -- not holding my breath.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:44 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Not that I think he's some amazing gem of a player but I think the Canucks are making a potentially huge error by waiving Patrick Wiercioch to make room for Pouliot. I get it...not like Vancouver really has much to lose here, but putting a decent depth option on waivers in favor of a player who has, so far, been demonstrably worse seems silly to me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:50 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Not that I think he's some amazing gem of a player but I think the Canucks are making a potentially huge error by waiving Patrick Wiercioch to make room for Pouliot. I get it...not like Vancouver really has much to lose here, but putting a decent depth option on waivers in favor of a player who has, so far, been demonstrably worse seems silly to me.
Agree. Granted Wiercioch had a very average camp, but he needs the chance to find a groove. It would seem the Canuck experiment of going with a massive punishing blue line is a day late and a dollar short.