OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sedinery
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:44 pm 

Not to be missed, a great article by Thomas Drance on why the Sedins are probably having their best year ever.

Quote:
All of that context aside, the twins are consistently turning play in the right direction. When the twins are on the ice, they’re in the offensive end with the puck. In fact they’re spending more time in their opponent’s end of the rink than they ever have previously. Basically the Sedin twins play defense in the offensive end, by being relentless on the puck, and pinning their opponents two-hundred feet away from Vancouver’s goal. As the old adage goes, “the best defense is a good offense,” and the Sedin twins have put that principal into practice this season.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=667209&navid=DL|VAN|home

Post subject: Re: Sedinery
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:06 pm 

Sedin's agent is continuing negotiations on the new contract. http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dbAYx

A lot of nonsense imo on the radio about them signing for the same $6.1 million over the next 3 years. I just can't see that. Datsyuk is 2 years older (35) and just signed for $7.5 mil over 3 years, Phil Kessel signs for $8 million a year and I'd rather have Hank over him for at least the next 3 years anyways.

Problem here is wingers tend to drop off more than centres and it's reasonable to expect Danny to drop off quicker yet they'll want the same money, they are twins of course. On the other hand they are a package deal which diminishes their list of possible suitors, only teams that can afford both of them and feel they are poised for a deep run will be interested. With cap jumping up next year teams will have the room but the only ones with money, and the desire to spend to the limit that I can see are Wings, Rangers, Leafs, Flyers and perhaps the Habs although I'm not sure they can afford it. Wings would look pretty good but I don't think either the Rags or Leafs are going to be serious contenders for the cup, both will be lucky to make the playoffs this year and Philly is a McDavid lottery contender for sure.

I'm thinking 4 years at $8 mil per year or perhaps as much as 6 years at almost $7 million. There will be screaming from all the Sedin haters in the fan base but based on their year to date and similar type players whose game is not based on speed I think there is a pretty reasonable chance they play quite well into their late 30's

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:50 am 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

I'm not sure they'll want to sign all that long term. Perhaps it's just rumor-mongering, but there has always been talk about them leaving the NHL before they turn geriatric, presumably for a couple years with MoDo before calling it quits.

I sure as hell hope they stay around, but am definitely worried about the price tag. I agree they will remain effective players for a while yet, but expecting a decline (from both, although Daniel does appear to be harder hit thus far -- fuck you Duncan Keith) isn't wild and crazy either, so you sort of hope their next salary would reflect that. Point taken that that rarely happens in the NHL, though.

The signing-in-the-same-place has to count against their price, though, and I can't imagine they'd be thrilled with uprooting their families at this point and moving to Michigan -- can't remember how old their kids are, though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:39 pm 

Sedin's at 35 and going strong

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/12/11/5-reasons-the-sedins-are-playing-their-best-hockey-in-years