OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:49 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Av-merican wrote:

Because that's what LA needs right now. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:46 am 
OTP Historian

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-t ... ould-mean/

Quote:
17. In July, Canucks GM Jim Benning said he could have traded Ryan Miller. Best intel I could find indicated the likeliest possibility was San Jose. The Sharks went out and got Martin Jones, as Benning is committed to Miller.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:24 pm 
Old Man of the Post

This is going to be a painful season to watch...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:31 am 
Old Man of the Post

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bu ... -1.2075304

Well, at least we'll have this! Love how the top line of Baertschi, Horvat and Virtanen so thoroughly outplayed David O'Connor et al in Edmonton. Three points for each Horvat, and Virtanen, four points for Bearcheese and goals from Weber and Hutton. Would love to see this line together again during the next game... Impressed to see the kids not only have a chance to show their stuff in pre-season but also perform. Would gladly waive Vey and send Kenins to Utica...

Sedin / Sedin / Vrbata
Baertschi / Horvat / Virtanen
Burrows / Sutter / Hansen
Prust / McCann /Dorsett
(Vey!)

Edler / Tanev
Hamhuis / Weber
Hutton / Bartkowski
(Sbisa / Corrado)

Markstrom (Miller)

Give the kids their 9 game tryout while they are playing so well...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:55 pm 
Big in Japan

So, Zack Kassian was involved in a car accident in NDG at 6 am this morning. Minor injuries, and he wasn't the driver, but not a good look after a lackluster camp. Pretty sure the dude wasn't up super early Sunday morning to hit the gym.

This the Kassian you know?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:15 am 

E.L. wrote:
So, Zack Kassian was involved in a car accident in NDG at 6 am this morning. Minor injuries, and he wasn't the driver, but not a good look after a lackluster camp. Pretty sure the dude wasn't up super early Sunday morning to hit the gym.

No, never any word on problems with him partying too much or not showing up on time. Not totally surprised though, he never came across as the brightest player either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:47 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

E.L. wrote:

There were no official incidents with Kassian in this regard, but plenty of speculation around his work ethic, commitment and focus.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think he understands what it takes to make it in this league at a young age and I believe it's more emotional intelligence/ maturity he lacks. To be fair, he was 8 years old when he lost his father which is definitely playing a role in his development as an adult now. Some kids don't mature until they are in their late 20's early 30's under the best of circumstances, so it's hardly a surprise he seems stuck in this cycle.

One gets the sense he felt he wasn't given fair opportunity in Vancouver and Buffalo under 4 different coaching regimes and just needed the right fit, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Oh and what the hell was he doing out at 6am, just a few days prior to the start of the regular season? Obviously, this is the wrong message to send to management of your new club.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:44 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Wow, they actually followed through on their promise: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id ... L|VAN|home

So Vey, Corrado and Biega on waivers means Virtanen, Hutton, McCann and Cracknell make the opening day 22-man roster:

Sedin / Sedin / Hansen
Baertschi / Horvat / Vrbata
Bureaux / Sutter / Virtanen
Prust / McCann / Dorsett
(Cracknell)

Edler / Tanev
Hamhuis / Weber
Hutton / Bartkowski
(Sbisa)

Markstrom / Miller

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:01 pm 

Hang on a minute regarding the lines. Yesterday at practice they had:

Sedin / Sedin / Sutter (???)

Isn't Sutter a Defensive Third line Centre? They also had Hutton paired with Tanev, Edler with Sbisa and Weber with Bartkowski. That probably won't stick.

-----

If it were me, I would start the season like this:

Sedin / Sedin / Vrbata
Horvat / Virtanen / Baertschi
Burrows /Sutter / Hansen
Prust / McCann / Dorsett

-----

Edler / Tanev
Hamhuis / Weber
Hutton / Sbisa
(Bart)

There seems to be this huge reluctance to put Vrbata with the twins which I just don't understand. Maybe it was his poor playoff performance last year.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:23 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Logical Progression wrote:

Isn't Sutter a Defensive Third line Centre? They also had Hutton paired with Tanev, Edler with Sbisa and Weber with Bartkowski. That probably won't stick.

-----

Sedin / Sedin / Vrbata
Burrows /Sutter / Hansen
Prust / McCann / Dorsett

-----

Edler / Tanev
Hamhuis / Weber
Hutton / Sbisa
(Bart)

There seems to be this huge reluctance to put Vrbata with the twins which I just don't understand. Maybe it was his poor playoff performance last year.

Actually, that makes perfect sense. Benning may not have a clue, but Desjardins does.

I obviously haven't seen a lot of Sutter, but by all accounts his rep as a defensively responsible forward is pure hogwash. Like Tyler Bozak, he's a guy who came into the league who was supposed to do a lot of things well, and ended up not doing much of anything well. Also like Bozak, he seems quite proficient at scoring under special circumstances. Bozak is damn near automatic on the break, and Sutter is damn near automatic when streaking down the right side.

So in essence you have a fairly gritty, one-dimensional player who sucks defensively, but can reliably put it in the net when playing the right side and is set up properly. That seems just about perfect for the twins, who have kinda made a career out of taking marginal one-dimensional players and turning them into scorers.

All due respect, the only thing a Burrows-Sutter-Hansen line would rack up is penalty minutes. Horvat's probably the team's best hope at present for a checking center. I don't really know anything about Virtanen.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:20 pm 
Old Man of the Post

At first, I was ticked off that we lost Corrado, but if they thought he didn't even warrant waiver protection then in the eyes of management, he was really no better than Biega, right?

Right?

Beuller? Beuller?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:29 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
At first, I was ticked off that we lost Corrado, but if they thought he didn't even warrant waiver protection then in the eyes of management, he was really no better than Biega, right?

Right?

Beuller? Beuller?

Damn Gillis for playing him over Ballard for a few games and blowing off a couple years of his contract. And WTFBenLinden? Yes Hutton out played him but is having Hutton play 10 minutes a night really worth it when he could be playing 20 - 22 in the AHL and improving and you'd still have both of them?

So much for too many young dmen with Corrado and Clandening now gone. :fffffuck:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:34 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Logical Progression wrote:

-----

Sedin / Sedin / Vrbata
Burrows /Sutter / Hansen
Prust / McCann / Dorsett

-----

Edler / Tanev
Hamhuis / Weber
Hutton / Sbisa
(Bart)

Actually, that makes perfect sense. Benning may not have a clue, but Desjardins does.

I obviously haven't seen a lot of Sutter, but by all accounts his rep as a defensively responsible forward is pure hogwash. Like Tyler Bozak, he's a guy who came into the league who was supposed to do a lot of things well, and ended up not doing much of anything well. Also like Bozak, he seems quite proficient at scoring under special circumstances. Bozak is damn near automatic on the break, and Sutter is damn near automatic when streaking down the right side.

So in essence you have a fairly gritty, one-dimensional player who sucks defensively, but can reliably put it in the net when playing the right side and is set up properly. That seems just about perfect for the twins, who have kinda made a career out of taking marginal one-dimensional players and turning them into scorers.

All due respect, the only thing a Burrows-Sutter-Hansen line would rack up is penalty minutes. Horvat's probably the team's best hope at present for a checking center. I don't really know anything about Virtanen.
I think Horvat is gunning for 2nd line centre role, but all signs point to him settling into the third line.
Vrbata racked up 31 goals last year with the twins. Why mess with that - in order balance out scoring? :lol:

Virtanen is a big physical player who knows how to hit, but has soft hands and a goal scorer's instinct. He's young (19) and is being groomed to be a quintessential NHL power forward net presence. He's very inexperienced though. He will be given a 9 game look and then likely sent back to Junior.

Quote:
A formidable adversary for any challenger, Jake Virtanen is an imposing power forward in the truest sense. Possesses a non-stopping motor and creates an abundance of on-ice energy when throwing his weight around and establishing his physical presence. Exhibits world-class skating ability, and can blow by defenders just as easily as he can go through them. Stands up for his teammates and never backs down from a challenge. Displays a wicked, NHL-level release that challenges goaltenders of all skill levels. Becoming a recognizable asset when playing a more defensive role as well. All-in-all, a physical power forward that has the character traits, work ethic, and individual skills to pose a threat to whoever stands in his way. - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.ph ... 0kpkF.dpuf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:46 am 

Looks like Virtanen is the odd man out tonight.

1. Sedin / Sedin / Sutter

The triple S Line. Av hit the nail on the head. Just heard Aaron Ward on TSN break it down. Wardo played with Sutter and actually thinks his 'versatile' style of play will fit well with the Sedins.

2. Baertschi / Horvat / Vrbata
3. Burrows / McCann / Hansen
4. Prust / Cracknell / Dorsett
(Virtanen)
Bring on the Phlem :Butch:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:42 am 
Old Man of the Post

Good results from that first line: six points between the Sedins/Sutter, points for Hutton and McCann, while effectively shutting down the Phlegms. I'm not convinced that Sutter will be there for the long-term but I believe WD's thinking is that line needs to have the puck early and often so having a right-shooting center there to take those faceoffs gives them a better chance of having the puck in the offensive side of the ice...

I like the look of that second line with Baertschi, Horvat & Vrbata but something tells me that if Virtanen settles into his power forward role and Horvat picks up the scoring slack, he'll be inserted here and Vrbata will be trade bait.

Any word on what happened to Markstrom beyond "undisclosed lower body injury"?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:46 pm 

Apparently he suffered a hamstring injury.
Quote:
UPDATE: Further evaluation revealed that Jacob Markstrom suffered a hamstring injury, will be re-evaluated in a week.

https://twitter.com/VanCanucks/status/6 ... 6187432960

It's been reported that he will likely miss at least 3 weeks!
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/259 ... -markstrom

If that's true, we'll likely see Bachman start at least one or two games, possibly against Edmonton on the 18th, and Arizona on the 30th if Jacob is still out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:12 am 
Old Man of the Post

Is Markstrom's NHL career just cursed?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:44 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Markstrom is Maxime Ouellet 2.0.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:22 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I sense a disturbance in the Force...

With his 53rd SO win last night, Ryan Miller becomes the winningest goalie in the SO, ever... :shock:

This winning stuff is cutting into my negativity and pessimism.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:18 pm 

JD Burke with a thoughtful piece questioning the relevance of Benning trading 2nd round picks for Vey/Baertschi and 5th rounder Frosling for Clandening.

Interesting as I considered all of these initially as wins for the Canuck's but I think he's right, Benning gave up lottery tickets (yes with very small chance but a chance none-the-less) for gaining an all-star level player for marginal gains in that we would have safer and soon to be ready NHL players, but players with limited upside.

I think he's right, the trades were all wins for Benning in that it mitigated the risk of drafting players who are busts, but its elite level talent that wins cups and you have to gamble to be able to find those.

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/10/23/acquisition-theory-the-unexpected-virtue-of-ignorance

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next