OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:43 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

In game two of the season, we witnessed a see-saw battle, resulting in a a 7-4 victory for the Flames - including 2 empty netters. The game was a lot closer than the score would indicate.

Pettersson with a goal and 2 assists and now 5 points across two games. Boeser was better with 2 legitimate scoring chances and he hit a post, but he's still a bit off with his shot. Apparently it's not so much his back that's issue, but his heavily taped wrist. His shot looks nowhere near as threatening as it did last year at this stage of the proceedings.

The Boeser-Horvat-Baertschi line was called out by Green in both games as 'average' and they will need pick it up soon as they could be split up in favor of more minutes by the Pettersson line. Green is trying to use Sutter's line against opposing top lines so there's really no excuse.

The Canuck power play has been strong mainly due to the magic of Elias Pettersson.

Last edited by Logical Progression on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:20 pm 

Damn that felt good. Canucks respond with 2 goals and 2 empty netters and stave off the Bolts after trailing 1-0 after two periods, en route to a 4-1 win. Pettersson with his 4th of the season and Boeser nets his 1st. Nilsson stands on his head out of left field and is the catalyst for the victory.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:20 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

The amazing thing about Pettersson is that he scores so many different ways. Last night was about as "gritty" a goal as you can get short of pulling a Keith Tkachuk and having it go in off your face.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:57 pm 

Canucks waive bulldog Alex Biega in order to make room for Antoine Roussel (concussion) on the Canucks' active roster. If the veteran blueliner goes unclaimed, he'll be assigned to Utica. Del Zotto gets scratched for a 3rd straight game and looks like Green will ride the hot hand with Nilsson in net against the Panthros tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:01 pm 

Dirty can opener by Matheson in response to being undressed by Pettersson on the previous sequence. League taking a look at the hit. Although they won the game, no ostensible push back by the Canucks. Looks like Elias is out with a concussion. Frustrating

https://twitter.com/TheStanchion/status ... 5796571136

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:39 am 

God I hope they throw the book at him, what a dirty, dirty hit. First the can opener, then the hit right in the numbers, and then the hard slam to the ice to finish it off. And anyone with half a brain could see it was in retaliation to getting embarrassed a second time by that kid.

I really hope that injury isn't serious. That kid's a phenom.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:11 am 
Old Man of the Post

There's been a ton of anger on social media about this and quite frankly, i don't understand it. The game was tied 2-2 and the decisive goal came later. There is no point in going after Matheson after the hit. I think they responded correctly... Get the W and let the league have a look. Have we learned nothing from the Bertuzzi-Moore incident? The concussion already happened.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:40 am 
King of Men

Hmm.....a bigger guy totally mauling a 165 lb guy along the boards. Hockey is still a rough game last time I checked. I've got more issue with the fact no one from the Canucks comes to his rescue....but that's today's NHL!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:45 am 

harmfuljays wrote:
Hmm.....a bigger guy totally mauling a 165 lb guy along the boards. I've got more issue with the fact no one from the Canucks comes to his rescue....but that's today's NHL!

I'm with you Jay, its not like the two points for the win will get them into the playoffs. Need to send a message if you abuse a star player like that that there are consequences to the action. Without it there can be a lot of liberty taken with Petterssen in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:45 pm 

Well...isn't that why Benning and Weisbrod (and Green) got all these "gritty" guys? Where the hell were they? If they don't stand up for their teammates at times like this what the hell use are they? They're paying that moron Gudbranson how much money to do what?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:46 pm 

Beagle broke his hand on Saturday (out 6-8 weeks), Roussel just coming off a concussion on his own but Gudbranson was nowhere to be found. Later he said "we're playing them again," read into that what you will. Green said they didn't see exactly what happened and while they were scrambling for their iPads to look at the hit, Horvat scored on the ensuing shift and they were playing for the win at that point. Not condoning it -- just stating Green's explanation. Many Canuck fans say the two points aren't worth as much as making a statement, especially with a team in the midst of a re-build. Hopefully the league takes care of it and it doesn't escalate. Matheson's agent said that he didn't realize how light Elias was, hence the slam to the ice -- gimme a break.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:59 pm 

mathesson gets 2 games, Petty gets minimum 7 days for concussion......... :fffffuck:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:22 pm 

I'm already arguing with other Avs fans who thought that was a good-ol' hockey play that happens "literally" every day. :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18: :chris18:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:15 am 

My biggest concerns regarding Elias Pettersson's future health - is going to be a target and if he is, how often and how is he going to be protected? He stands out with his elite skillset and was clearly targeted by the Panthers on Saturday. Physicality will surely be a strategy coaches will use moving forward to thwart his ability.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:55 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
My biggest concerns regarding Elias Pettersson's future health - is going to be a target and if he is, how often and how is he going to be protected? He stands out with his elite skillset and was clearly targeted by the Panthers on Saturday. Physicality will surely be a strategy coaches will use moving forward to thwart his ability.

and he is so damn small. Pretty easy to hurt him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:57 am 
Old Man of the Post

Petterson was embarrassing Matheson all night long... Matheson's actions were retaliatory: https://canucksarmy.com/2018/10/15/math ... -about-it/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:04 pm 

I'm still arguing with people on HF. Someone whose opinions I usually respect said it was just a "follow through." Fucking bullshit. At NO time are kids taught to throw someone down after hitting them. You're not supposed to really use your arms at all, at most if you're on D and you need to stand someone up you keep your mitts close to your chest, lay the hit and then push off, but never grab and slam. I just don't get what fucking planet some hockey fans are from.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:41 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Carcillo's take on this is surprisingly balanced. No need for the follow-through after the hit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:38 am 
OTP Historian

This fucking blows :x

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:20 pm 
Chaser, Wearer of Skirts

Horvat scraps!