OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:42 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

http://news.sportslogos.net/2019/06/13/ ... -uniforms/

I personally like a lot of the changes (thank the Hockey Gods they FINALLY got rid of that horrid fucking VANCOUVER wordmark) but it still just looks disjointed, like they're putting too many ideas into one uniform, like that weird third jersey Anaheim came out with this year. I asked Ian and Canux Luvah what they thought and neither seemed all that enthused.

What say you OTP?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:02 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
http://news.sportslogos.net/2019/06/13/vancouver-canucks-unveil-four-new-uniforms/

I personally like a lot of the changes (thank the Hockey Gods they FINALLY got rid of that horrid fucking VANCOUVER wordmark) but it still just looks disjointed, like they're putting too many ideas into one uniform, like that weird third jersey Anaheim came out with this year. I asked Ian and Canux Luvah what they thought and neither seemed all that enthused.

What say you OTP?

mostly thinking, whatever. They're just looking for more sales revenue and they're going to do what they're going to do and I'll ignore it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:29 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

At least the bloody word mark is finally gone, but otherwise the main jerseys look pretty much the same so a mild improvement I guess.

I still can't quite get my head around the constipated Orca logo. That's the part that remains disjointed for me. It's a weak primary mark and too busy.

Like the reworked rink and stick logo but the color scheme is off so another blunder.

Johnny Canuck is too collegiate. Cardinal mistake in sports branding = making the primary mark a human being - no longevity. That would also be like 5th or 6th completely new look. Too many ideas resulting in too much confusion.

Not sure what they can really do to fix things at this point. Too many logo changes and color schemes over the years make it hard to know the best course of action. Back to the a reworked original would alienate the younger generation. The slanted skate is completely off the current color scheme and was also not around long enough to bring back for good -- and frankly not a great logo either.

The current logo has been around the longest so can understand why they are sticking with it. But don't get me started on the press release and botched marketing campaign. Not a hockey player in sight to model and no presentation of the complete look including hockey pants, socks and helmets, so the release lacks a professional context and a completely fan based perspective. Fans in jeans wearing oversized jerseys. :lol:

https://50thcollection.canucks.com/

They should just keep it simple -- which takes me back to the originals.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:05 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Update: I just asked my 8 year old boy which jersey he liked the best and he said the new rink and stick, so what do I know? Small sample size yes but maybe they did focus groups.

Well my boy's a Kings fan and a total traitor so fuck him. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:42 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I really like the new home jersey. The away is okay. I've always been a huge fan of blue/green. That' why I liked the Whalers as a 2nd team.

The stick and rink one- I never realized it's supposed to be a rink. :lol: I've always thought this design was dumb, and even knowing it's a rink, it still does nothing for me.

The flying V- in the words of Antoine Merriweather and Blaine Edwards, "hated it".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:24 pm 
King of Men

Chris18 wrote:

The stick and rink one- I never realized it's supposed to be a rink. :lol: I've always thought this design was dumb, and even knowing it's a rink, it still does nothing for me.

Well if it means anything you weren't the only one. Only now do I know what that was supposed to be. I like the Throwbacks....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:39 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

harmfuljays wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Well if it means anything you weren't the only one. Only now do I know what that was supposed to be. I like the Throwbacks....

If it had included red and blue lines, I'd have gotten it. Circles... Something more than a blank white shape. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:16 pm 

Was the stick-in-rink always supposed to imply a C and a V?

The skate logo's always bothered me a bit. Speaking from a designer's POV I just stand stand that splotch of white right where the wordmark is. Yes, I know, if you didn't have the white there you wouldn't be able to see CANUCKS, but that's kinda the problem, it's just too damned busy.

Also, Ian in particular has always been adamant that the original "Flying V" colors of orange and gold were much better than red and gold. Should they do a "true" throwback that incorporates that color scheme?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:17 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Was the stick-in-rink always supposed to imply a C and a V?

The skate logo's always bothered me a bit. Speaking from a designer's POV I just stand stand that splotch of white right where the wordmark is. Yes, I know, if you didn't have the white there you wouldn't be able to see CANUCKS, but that's kinda the problem, it's just too damned busy.

Also, Ian in particular has always been adamant that the original "Flying V" colors of orange and gold were much better than red and gold. Should they do a "true" throwback that incorporates that color scheme?

The white is the skate blade.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:38 pm 
OTP Clown

Rad uniform.

Ya have any that might fit Kawhi?

Bucket.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:57 pm 

Bosc wrote:
The white is the skate blade.

Yes, I'm aware of that. Still don't love it from an aesthetic standpoint. I don't think it HAS to be white anymore than the Orca on their primary logo this week has to be blue or gray or whatever the hell color it is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:37 pm 
King of Men

Stinky wrote:
Rad uniform.

Ya have any that might fit Kawhi?

Bucket.

This one?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:17 pm 
OTP Clown

nope.