OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:00 pm 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
We're not sure, only thing we do know is that the Canuck's goalie coach pretty much stripped down his technique and rebuilt him from the ground up last spring. He was excited, and I was interested to see what he could do as he had done a really good job with both Eddie, and Schneider and helped Lui somewhat. Markstrom is big and fits the mold of what Melansson likes to work with and seems to have the athleticism to be a great protege.

And that's part of the problem with Miller. He is the exact opposite of a Melanson type goalie, plays far out of the net, very reactive and similar to Jonathan Quick, he doesn't have the height and is old enough to probably not want to change his game significantly.

I think it also makes it easier on the defense and the backup when everyone plays a similar style. Kevin Woodley has pointed out that Miller is probably not the best fit for the Canucks present defensive style so does the team change to accommodate Miller or Miller the team? If he is coming in as the designated goalie then probably the team for Miller but then you have Lack and two AHL goalies all playing a deep crease style and presumably the farm team defensemen are all learning to accommodate that style as well. Then if they get called up they have to learn another style? Something that was so simple has quickly become a mess.

Just an FYI, Miller is 6'3. He has height, he's taller than Quick. Lundquist, who plays bolted down to the goal line, is 6'1. Being extremely tall isn't a requirement to play deep or further out of the net.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:07 pm 

Bosc wrote:

Just an FYI, Miller is 6'3. He has height, he's taller than Quick. Lundquist, who plays bolted down to the goal line, is 6'1. You don't require height to play deep or further out of the net.

thanks, didn't realize miller was tall. Should have clued in yesterday when I saw him standing over Benning. However Melansson has often been attributed to preferring tall goalies, not sure as to why he would find that beneficial.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:01 pm 

So Markstrom requires waivers this year to be sent back down.....sigh........

I'm wondering if Benning has some other trade in the works and that's why they signed Miller. I'm sure if Markstrom hits waivers he gets claimed, and he can't be traded for much at this point though. Perhaps they have a a trade plan in the works that includes Lack?

Kane rumours swirling which would be really sweet but I cannot imagine how much that would cost, Lack, Tanev, Horvat perhaps? Probably still not enough though

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:38 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Fogghorn wrote:
So Markstrom requires waivers this year to be sent back down.....sigh........

I'm wondering if Benning has some other trade in the works and that's why they signed Miller. I'm sure if Markstrom hits waivers he gets claimed, and he can't be traded for much at this point though. Perhaps they have a a trade plan in the works that includes Lack?

Kane rumours swirling which would be really sweet but I cannot imagine how much that would cost, Lack, Tanev, Horvat perhaps? Probably still not enough though
This is an outrage. While I am fine with the term (3 years, of which the 3rd year could be considered optional), 6 Mil per season is on the outer edge of acceptability.

I actually agree that Lack may not be quite ready to play 65+ games, he easily could play 50 and be competitive. My thinking is that they must still want Lack to spend a lot of time working on his game with Melanson next year - a luxury not typically afforded to #1 netminders due to time contraints. I guess 40+ games in not enough in their eyes to avoid a player like Miller. But goalie tandems rarely work. Either way, here comes another goalie controversy....What irks me is that judging from this deal, they aren't confident in Lack's current ability or short term potential.

In terms of the trade bait rumours, food for thought and wishful thinking but I doubt it. Sigh.....What a debacle.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:44 pm 

Open those offensive flood gates, the Canucks signed centres Dustin Jeffrey and Cal O'Reilly and defenceman Bobby Sanguinetti.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=456285

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:53 pm 
Big in Japan

Nucks sign Vrbata.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:18 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Nucks sign Vrbata.

No offer sheet from the Nucks for Subban, one less for you to worry about

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:36 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Nucks sign Vrbata.

Quote:
He has 215 goals and 464 points in 792 regular-season games, and six goals and 14 points in 36 Stanley Cup Playoff games. He is tied for fourth on the all-time list with 35 shootout goals.
:toot:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:02 am 

vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/07/02/canucks-get-their-goal-scorer-sign-radim-vrbata

Well, here are Kesler's 20 goals I guess. Still sitting at 27th in league scoring......

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:27 am 

Lets see if I've got this right

DSedin HSedin Vrbata
Burrows Bonino Kassian
Higgins Mathias Vey
Dorsett Richardson Hansen

Sestito,

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Tanev
Stanton Sanguinetti

Sbisa Weber

allowing Grenier, Jensen, Corrado, Shinkaruk, Lain and Guance to start the season in Utica

That's a good 3rd line but doesn't make up for the questionable 2nd line I'm afraid. And I still don't see much more than 200 goals.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:22 am 
OTP Historian

Hank Schroeder is UFA already? Did they not qualify him?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:38 am 

Bosc wrote:
Hank Schroeder is UFA already? Did they not qualify him?

No they didn't. He was injured pretty often and never had a chance to put anything together, not really sure what he can do but the Nucks are now really deep at 3C so not really any room for him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:19 pm 
Old Man of the Post

This team finished 24th out of 30 last season. The 2014-15 lineup isn't appreciably better (except maybe in goal) and time will tell if it's worse. What they come out with is a little more cap space, possibly younger legs, and a decent group of kids coming up. The UFA pool this summer was pretty lousy anyway and they came out of it without committing to long-term contracts. Linden/Benning (LinBen? LinNing? BenDen?) has bought this team a little bit of time.

As for the draft picks, I'm not as concerned. For a Cannots fan, "draft bust" is the norm. Patrick White... Libor Polasek... Jason Herter... Dan Woodley... My expectations are very low to begin with. Until they can prove otherwise, this team has been cursed (since Dale effing Tallon) as far as draft picks go.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:13 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:

As for the draft picks, I'm not as concerned. For a Cannots fan, "draft bust" is the norm. Patrick White... Libor Polasek... Jason Herter... Dan Woodley... My expectations are very low to begin with. Until they can prove otherwise, this team has been cursed (since Dale effing Tallon) as far as draft picks go.

Teams win Stanley Cups with elite and all star level talent. The best way to acquire those players is in the top 3 picks. In that regard the Nucks have not been too bad, Linden and the Sedins. The only recent top draft miss would be Bryan Allen and that was a truly horrible draft year. Patrick While, well a #25 pick is about what? a 25% chance of becoming NHL regular, hard to get to down on them about that.

edit- oops forgot about Peter Nedved at #2, what an awful year that was for Nucks drafting, could have had Primeau(3), Ricci(4), Jagr(5) and Tkachuk(19) or Brodeur(20) instead of Antoski(18)

Not trying to defend the Canucks drafting, they've been bad for a long time. However this years draft seems to continue the same problems, ignoring demonstrated hockey talent because they are too small, or lack some magical unquantifiable intangibles that any team who payed attention to advanced stats would be learning to if not completely disregard, would at least place a lower value on as compared to attributes that can be credibly demonstrated on the score sheet.

And is competitive swim season over? Not complaining to have you back, actually happy to see you on here, just curious about the change.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:39 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Fogghorn wrote:
thanks, didn't realize miller was tall. Should have clued in yesterday when I saw him standing over Benning. However Melansson has often been attributed to preferring tall goalies, not sure as to why he would find that beneficial.

He saw what happened with Theodore: all world talent but he needed to be perfect or else he gave up so much up high and all of a sudden was sporting a .900 or worse for the season.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:13 am 

For 6'7" the lad can skate, nice slap shot too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:38 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

Why the hell didn't we resign Santorelli, or did he choose not to sign with us? ewww choosing the leafs over the nucks would really be a hard pill to swallow if that's the case

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:21 am 

CanuckinOz wrote:
Why the hell didn't we resign Santorelli, or did he choose not to sign with us? ewww choosing the leafs over the nucks would really be a hard pill to swallow if that's the case

Rumours before FA were that he wanted 2 years, the Nucks were only willing to offer one. With Richardson, Lane, Guance and Horvat all possibly pushing for the 4th line and then they picked up Bonino and Vey (who can play centre as well as RW) for 2C and Mathias for 3C they're pretty full at the position. Could use a better 2C though.

It's too bad, he played extremely well last year and the fans certainly appreciated him. However with the injury it was a pretty small sample size and his prior history suggests he was playing over his head and it was unsustainable.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:06 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Santorelli is a stopgap/injury replacement measure, nothing more. He delivers decent production for cheap, but certainly ain't a building block. Sad thing is, he's probably got a way better chance of securing a plum role in Toronto's offense than he had on a depleted Canucks roster.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:24 pm 

Tanev resigns for 1 year at 2 million. Great deal for the Nucks. Analysis here http://canucksarmy.com/2014/7/5/chris-tanev-signs-a-1-year-deal-to-stay-with-the-canucks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next