OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:18 pm 
Old Man of the Post

VHF wrote:
I actually found some of the comments to the blog post more insightful than the article itself.

I haven't been following CA that much and can't tell if those comments are skewed by OIlers and Flames fans, so I tried not to give them too much weight.

I just get the feeling that Benning's plan is essentially where the Flames were two years ago. Low on top-end skill, but some decent prospects on the way so bulk up on the pugilists, try to give your kids some protected time so they can develop on the job, and really, don't worry too much about getting a sniff in the postseason. Keep your trade acquisition options open at the deadline so no long-term contracts...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:51 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
VHF wrote:
I actually found some of the comments to the blog post more insightful than the article itself.

I haven't been following CA that much and can't tell if those comments are skewed by OIlers and Flames fans, so I tried not to give them too much weight.

I just get the feeling that Benning's plan is essentially where the Flames were two years ago. Low on top-end skill, but some decent prospects on the way so bulk up on the pugilists, try to give your kids some protected time so they can develop on the job, and really, don't worry too much about getting a sniff in the postseason. Keep your trade acquisition options open at the deadline so no long-term contracts...

And dumping future draft picks....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:00 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
the Cunning Linguist wrote:
VHF wrote:

And dumping future draft picks....

or turning an early 3rd round pick into a late 3rd round pick.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:50 pm 

Really?

https://twitter.com/mattsekeres/status/618473693275013120

going to be lucky to get 220 goals next year, but they'll be good in the locker room.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:19 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Really?

https://twitter.com/mattsekeres/status/618473693275013120

going to be lucky to get 220 goals next year, but they'll be good in the locker room.
:lol:

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that Benning would let both Kassian and Matthias walk - but it makes sense, both were clearly cancers in the room. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:47 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Usually if the two best reasons to sign a guy are:

1. Good in the room

2. Good with his fists

You shouldn't sign that guy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:07 am 

Av-merican wrote:

1. Good in the room

2. Good with his fists

:lol:

Yup - and if it's a trade always throw in an obligatory draft pick just for good measure. I mean if you're getting a guy with these two qualities you should give up at least 2 things in return just so it's all square.

1. A young, skilled two-way player with size and speed.

2. 2nd-5th round draft pick.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:44 am 

Av-merican wrote:

1. Good in the room

2. Good with his fists

I have no problem signing that guy, do have a big problem trading assets for him especially a younger player who led the team in goals per sixty minutes plus a draft pick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:13 pm 

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/07/09 ... d-in-lack/

Benning has the opportunity to dump $6 million x 2 years of his cap when they are already in rebuild mode with a plethora of goaltending options in the pipeline.

Nope -- we'll pass thanks. Makes sense. Beautiful.

Understand the logic of not wanting another Luongo/ Schneider situation transpire but $6 million is a tonne of dough for an cap challenged club. Miller is an aging goalie with his best years behind Jim. Move on.

Last edited by Logical Progression on Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:17 pm 

Geez, man...the guy is clueless from a PR standpoint, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:19 pm 

Could have been a slip of the tongue but I agree, why go there?

Short version of the summit :lol:

https://vine.co/v/evKYx6KrYjB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:17 pm 

that's just more baffling crap :fffffuck:

Quote:
“When we analyzed where we came up short in the playoffs, Calgary played with more emotion than we did.

“It was that Micheal Ferland running around. We need to be able to rise to the occasion in the playoffs and play with emotion.”

You don't think playing a goalie with no lateral movement in game six over the guy with higher save % for the season was a factor?

And if emotion and heart was what you lacked, why trade away Kassian and Bieksa, two of the most emotional guys on the team, both of whom can fight?

Can't believe they had the opportunity to trade Miller and passed. Going to have to go back to the Keenan years since the organization was so poorly run.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:08 am 
Chaser, Wearer of Skirts

Did anyone mention that Daniel Sedin's selling his house? Does that mean something?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:29 am 

farang wrote:
Did anyone mention that Daniel Sedin's selling his house? Does that mean something?
Well, the Twins are signed through the 2018 season but looking at the listing, I would imagine that at 5.9 million, Daniel would take a handsome profit out of that house if it sells. And it isn't even that nice.

http://www.pixilink.com/85180

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:23 pm 

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/7/3/graphic ... n-the-room

Apologies in advance if this was already posted, but I think this pretty much nails what the real problem is, and it isn't at the Linden/Benning level.

I especially liked the link to the NY Times about "confirmation bias."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:39 pm 
Big in Japan

When Linden came to Montreal, he took himself way too seriously and when things started to go wrong - which was almost immediately - he wasn't able to handle it. He entered the Vancouver front office with the same saviour complex.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:33 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
http://canucksarmy.com/2015/7/3/graphic-comments-the-dumbest-guys-in-the-room

Apologies in advance if this was already posted, but I think this pretty much nails what the real problem is, and it isn't at the Linden/Benning level.

I especially liked the link to the NY Times about "confirmation bias."

One of my favorite quotes "strong leaders surround themselves with people who challenge them to be better, dumb managers surround themselves with cheerleaders." You can quickly tell how healthy an organization or team is by this one viewpoint.

Study after study has found that the best ideas are found by larger groups with diverse knowledge. It's up to senior management to create the environment that allows employees to feel comfortable in promoting those ideas. Hierarchical management philosophy is so much easier to create and run, its simplistic and quite frankly massages the managers ego as everyone defer's to their supposed superior understanding.

Hierarchical is like a downhill slope, allowing gravity to do most the work and it is the path that BenLinden and ownership have chosen. It does not bode well for the future of this organization at all. My only real hope now is that they reach McTavish/Lowe levels of incompetence and spend several dark years harvesting top 5 picks. Otherwise we're looking at several years comparable to the Feaster years in Calgary where the team is mediocre enough to miss the playoffs and high enough in the draft that they are unable/unlikely to find the elite talent they will require for a future run at the cup. It's like the Nuck's 70's and 80's all over again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:09 pm 

Actually, the white elephant in the front office is ownership who is mandating that the team make the playoffs each year.

I agree with surrounding young players with experienced veterans who do it the "right way" -- and from within a semblance of a winning environment.

But what I can't see is cap savvy decision makers who are committed to making the right trades for the group and signing contracts that give them cap flexibility.

Poor ownership directives on the one hand - an inexperienced and naive management regime on the other. It's as simple as that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:25 pm 

A rebuild-on-the-fly like what we're seeing in Detroit would work only if the cupboard were stocked with viable prospects. It's not.

Funny how some organizations (Rangers, Canucks) historically don't draft well and others (Flyera) seemingly fall ass-backwards into talent.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:48 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Funny how some organizations (Rangers, Canucks) historically don't draft well and others (Flyera) seemingly fall ass-backwards into talent.
Yet the Canucks retain their oldest scout, who's been there since the beginning of time - Ron Delorme. He's a friend of Benning's too.... :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 24  Next