OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:29 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Needed an excuse to ditch the depressing "blow it up" thread.

Buh bye Booth - 9 goals this past season ain't gonna cut it. Kesler to be traded this off season. My bet is Anaheim.

Some cute but apt advice from letters written by kids around Greater Vancouver. Many kids felt they should have had more "practices". :lol: (inside joke).

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/06/13 ... ddie-lack/

Quote:
“Practice more,” says Quintin, 11, and so does Isaac, who adds that the players should “count to ten or inhale and exhale 4 times when mad.” That’s got nothing to do with practicing, but it’s sound advice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:25 am 

Cap space? What's that? I can't remember the last time the Canucks were in this position. Possibly the Burke era? Interesting article on the free agency market as it relates to Vancouver.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/06/19 ... -capspace/

Quote:
With technically only five roster spots to fill, the Canucks will have over $21 million in cap space heading into free agency. While that’s not including any potential return in the Kesler trade and some of that money will be eaten up re-signing Mike Santorelli and restricted free agents like Zack Kassian, Chris Tanev, and — maybe — Jordan Schroeder and Yannick Weber, that will still leave the Canucks with plenty of room to spend big money on a big-name free agent or two.

This is absolutely terrifying. Why? Because it is remarkably easy to royally screw up in free agency.

With signs pointing to the need for a full out rebuild, it will be interesting to see how they navigate free agency market and whether they bite on some big names. And with ostensibly only 5 roster spots open, one has to wonder just how much the organization can really modify this team at this stage. Also the Canucks definitely need some more experience in goal, but whether a Hiller level player is required is debatable at this point. As much as I would love to see them go hard after Stastny, his asking price could be in the 9m per season range which is stupid. I would prefer them to just stand pat on FA, stockpile picks this season and service as much as they can from what they have. Ain't gonna happen though.....

For the Canucks right now, it's all about drafting and development. With with all those NTC's I am thinking reshape is the best we could hope for.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:53 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Cap space? What's that? I can't remember the last time the Canucks were in this position. Possibly the Burke era? Interesting article on the free agency market as it relates to Vancouver.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/06/19 ... -capspace/

Quote:
With technically only five roster spots to fill, the Canucks will have over $21 million in cap space heading into free agency. While that’s not including any potential return in the Kesler trade and some of that money will be eaten up re-signing Mike Santorelli and restricted free agents like Zack Kassian, Chris Tanev, and — maybe — Jordan Schroeder and Yannick Weber, that will still leave the Canucks with plenty of room to spend big money on a big-name free agent or two.

This is absolutely terrifying. Why? Because it is remarkably easy to royally screw up in free agency.

With signs pointing to the need for a full out rebuild, it will be interesting to see how they navigate free agency market and whether they bite on some big names. And with ostensibly only 5 roster spots open, one has to wonder just how much the organization can really modify this team at this stage. Also the Canucks definitely need some more experience in goal, but whether a Hiller level player is required is debatable at this point. As much as I would love to see them go hard after Stastny, his asking price could be in the 9m per season range which is stupid. I would prefer them to just stand pat on FA, stockpile picks this season and service as much as they can from what they have. Ain't gonna happen though.....

For the Canucks right now, it's all about drafting and development. With with all those NTC's I am thinking reshape is the best we could hope for.

Hmm, seems you're coming around to my way of thinking that they need to focus on a rebuild. It doesn't have to be long only a couple years but they need to get a glut of prospects to make up for the lack of 23-28 year olds on the team. Adding UFA's won't help that, except for Stastny who is 27 but I agree he'll get $9mil this year. There is just so much cash floating around, prices will be high this year.

This is a really big decision, they have enough cap space to get the UFA's to make the playoffs, but they certainly won't be good enough to go far. I much prefer that they sit on the space for a year and get some good draft picks next year but the marketing optics of that won't look good unless Linden and Benning come out and say that making the playoffs are not good enough, winning the cup is what matters and to do that the team has to get bad before it can get better. The fans will accept that if they're straight about it. And I think some of those NTC's will get itchy to go after the cup if they know its a rebuild, they're getting older and don't have too many more opportunities.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:53 pm 

This gives me hope that they are not going to be stupid about the cap space.

Quote:
Asked about the compliance buyout that the Canucks will exercise on David Booth's contract, Linden's answer suggested that, while the Canucks intend to be players in a historically weak free agent class, the club might not spend to the cap this season. Seriously. "David's situation, that just gives us maximum flexibility headed into free-agency and throughout next season. We've got some people we're very interested in speaking too and hopefully that happens, but we're going to sign people for the right reasons. Certainly it's not about spending to the cap, and having that mantra is a bit of a dangerous place to go. We want to make sure we bring the right people in here and that's what we're going to do."

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/6/20/linden-s-web-the-canucks-might-not-be-a-cap-team-and-other-nuggets-from-linden-s-1040-appearance-friday

and then this immediately dashes my glimmer of hope.

Quote:
The only thing Linden said that on Friday that really made me roll my eyes was his discussion about the club matching up with the heavyweights in California going forward, and how that reality might impact how the club uses the sixth overall selection. "Where we sit right now, this division is tough," Linden said, singling out the size of the Californian clubs. Then he pivoted to talking about "really dynamic" players like William Nylander and Nikoljaj Ehlers and essentially suggested that it's "a challenge" to pick them over bigger bodied, less dynamic players because of all that beef in California. As a smarter blogger than me said recently, Jake Virtanen is very good, so? Don't draft him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:45 pm 

Looks like its Desjardins for coach

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/06/20/willie-desjardins-to-canucks-as-penguins-resume-coach-hunt-report/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:53 pm 

New look Canucks officially announce new head coach Willie Desjardins today. Press conference 12pm Pacific.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... e19290703/

Rookie President
Rookie GM
Rookie Head Coach

:Butch:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:51 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

lol at Desjardins being a 'rookie'. He's what, 56? Makarov rule surely kicks in here, right?

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:19 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

saskhab wrote:
lol at Desjardins being a 'rookie'. He's what, 56? Makarov rule surely kicks in here, right?

Was gonna say Boudreau was probably older, but he's only 59 now so he was, what, 52 when he took over the Caps?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:33 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
saskhab wrote:

Was gonna say Boudreau was probably older, but he's only 59 now so he was, what, 52 when he took over the Caps?
He still is a rookie head coach. Despite his age, all of his experience and winning on all levels, he's never coached one NHL game as Head Coach. It's a bit of a gamble.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:23 pm 

Grand, Kelser wants to go to either Pitt or Chicago, only Chicago and Anaheim interested and only Anaheim has the young assets.......

Quote:
“When you’re dealing with a player of his stature, at the trade deadline is when you can really do well because (there are) those teams that feel they’re one player away that makes a difference to win,” Benning said.

Really Jim, management was saying at last deadline it would be easier at the draft as teams have cap space and less pressured.

Anyways, any player that has a NTC but asks for a trade should be told to give a list of 10 teams. If there are only 2 or 3 better then where you are at it can't be that bad for you, so quit pouting and get back on the ice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:20 pm 

Kelser for very little, Garrison dumped for a 2nd round pick, trade a 3rd to the Rangers for Derek Dorsett (1yr @ $1.65 million)

That last one may be the most puzzling of all.

:fffffuck:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:52 pm 

Virtanen???????????????? can't believe they passed on Ehlers and Nylander for Virtanen. :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck:

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/6/18/jake-virtanen-is-good-so-don-t-draft-him

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:56 pm 

Craig Button had Virtanen at 43!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:04 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Craig Button had Virtanen at 43!!!!

Well Button is a dolt, he's not that far down but should have been 10-15, think it is better then Carolina picking Fleury but damn this is a disappointing day. I was simply salivating at the thought of the Swede or the Dane.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:20 pm 

Well pick 21 coming up and three of my top 12 still on the board, Kasperi Kapanen, Nikita Scherbak and Robby Fabbri. Hopefully one of them will be there at 24 and Benning won't disappoint me again.

I shouldn't have said anything, there goes Fabbri and Kapanen. Skakic please lay off Scherbak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:01 pm 

Coincidentally enough Canucks Army did a profile on McCann earlier in the day.

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/6/27/jared-mccann-bergeron-2-0

Super modest and polite kid in the interview, can't help but like him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:16 pm 

Solid score at 24 with McCann.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:16 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

McCann comes from such a good junior program, too. They're doing everything right there in the Soo. He may not be the most talented guy they could've taken but as far as intelligence, doing things right to help teams win, McCann has few equals.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:17 am 

saskhab wrote:
McCann comes from such a good junior program, too. They're doing everything right there in the Soo. He may not be the most talented guy they could've taken but as far as intelligence, doing things right to help teams win, McCann has few equals.

He seems like a solid pick, probable 3rd line centre but.........with Barbashev, Ho-Sang and especially Scherbak I feel like they passed on some potentially really good players for the safe bet. Botchford quoted Benning today as saying that "they didn't consider any Russian's as they were looking for 'meat and potatoes' players.

Well I sure hope he knows what he is doing because there is no way Virtanen should have been in his top 12 that I can figure. It's strange, a couple years ago before I paid attention to the analytics side of it I would have been ecstatic with. Virtanen. Would have looked at the goals, the shot, the speed and figured the Nucks drew a stud who had the added local boy bonus.

Never would have looked at his quality of team mates, or considered that he had already matured into full man size with little room to improve in this regard where as Scherbak basically carried his team on his back, had to transition from Russian to WHL, and has plenty of room to fill out his long frame. Context of situation matters, and context indicates that Virtanen ain't as good a prospect as Scherbak much less Nylander or Ehlers. Meat and potatoes are good but fine dining is better.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:35 am 
Big in Japan

Andrei Markov isn't a meat and potatoes guy? What a racist old coot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next