OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:16 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

A hefty raise for Tanev, but once again, he's left to prove himself given the one year deal. One has to wonder if the rumours were true about trying to move him to the Sabres in a package deal for Tyler Myers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:38 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

Av-merican wrote:
Santorelli is a stopgap/injury replacement measure, nothing more. He delivers decent production for cheap, but certainly ain't a building block. Sad thing is, he's probably got a way better chance of securing a plum role in Toronto's offense than he had on a depleted Canucks roster.

Local kid who excited the crowd and had 10 goals in half a season and was accelerating when he got hurt, 1.5 for a year and he was playing 2nd line when he went down, I think this was a big mistake,
we'll see

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:30 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

CanuckinOz wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Santorelli is a stopgap/injury replacement measure, nothing more. He delivers decent production for cheap, but certainly ain't a building block. Sad thing is, he's probably got a way better chance of securing a plum role in Toronto's offense than he had on a depleted Canucks roster.

Local kid who excited the crowd and had 10 goals in half a season and was accelerating when he got hurt, 1.5 for a year and he was playing 2nd line when he went down, I think this was a big mistake,
we'll see

Nashville, Florida, and Winnipeg could've kept him for cheap as well. They all passed. Last year wasn't the first time he went down with a major injury either.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:30 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
A hefty raise for Tanev, but once again, he's left to prove himself given the one year deal. One has to wonder if the rumours were true about trying to move him to the Sabres in a package deal for Tyler Myers.

He moved from bottom pairing to top pairing last season surpassing two very good defencemen in Bieksa and Edler. I'd say that is not much of a raise. If he stays healthy this year it could be a breakout year points wise and they'll end up paying through the nose to lock him up.

Quote:
For the first time in his career, Tanev faced legitimately tough competition last season. In fact, by every measure of rating the opposition a player faces — ice time, plus/minus, Corsi, and relative Corsi — Tanev led all Canucks defencemen. Tanev was one of the few players who thrived under John Tortorella, taking on a shutdown role, regularly facing the best players the opposition had to offer.

Most impressively, Tanev tilted the ice in the right direction when facing that competition. Despite starting the majority of his shifts in the defensive zone, Tanev maintained positive possession statistics, with the Canucks taking 51.2% of the shot attempts when he was on the ice. In fact, Tanev started more often in the defensive zone than any other Canucks defenceman last season, yet maintained a positive Corsi.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/07/05/canucks-sign-up-for-one-more-year-of-inexpensive-chris-tanev/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:10 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Fogghorn wrote:
And is competitive swim season over? Not complaining to have you back, actually happy to see you on here, just curious about the change.

Swimming is year-round: we're in the middle of "long course" season now (50 meter pools and such) and that goes from April to August; "short course" season (25 yard pools - yes, this is the only country that has them, I think) goes from October to March. My older son is now 13 and will be heading to high school so that's a third season we'll be tied up - December to February.

Fogghorn wrote:
CanuckinOz wrote:
Why the hell didn't we resign Santorelli, or did he choose not to sign with us? ewww choosing the leafs over the nucks would really be a hard pill to swallow if that's the case

Rumours before FA were that he wanted 2 years, the Nucks were only willing to offer one. With Richardson, Lane, Guance and Horvat all possibly pushing for the 4th line and then they picked up Bonino and Vey (who can play centre as well as RW) for 2C and Mathias for 3C they're pretty full at the position. Could use a better 2C though.

It's too bad, he played extremely well last year and the fans certainly appreciated him. However with the injury it was a pretty small sample size and his prior history suggests he was playing over his head and it was unsustainable.

I agree... Has anyone heard that Markstrom has asked for a trade now that he's essentially low-man on the scrotum-pole?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:38 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
I agree... Has anyone heard that Markstrom has asked for a trade now that he's essentially low-man on the scrotum-pole?

Reportedly he has. Amazing how quickly and how far his stock has plummeted.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:41 pm 

I heard that he hasn't officially asked for a trade but Benning said today that he doesn't figure in their long term plans and will try to move him if they can find a trade partner -- but also that Markstrom is "aware of the process and of his options" and the potential that he gets sent down.

If he's assigned to Utica before the season starts (12 day cutoff I believe), then he doesn't have to clear waivers unless he is brought up during the season.

Not to say Benning won't move him. Just that he isn't forced to if the plan is to stick Markstrom in the AHL for the season which is realistically where he probably belongs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:46 pm 

Canucks hire perpetual scapegoat Perry Pearn, presumably so they can fire him later when things get rough.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=459195

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:44 am 

Good hire. One of the few coaches with a breadth of NHL experience given a rookie staff of coaches/management.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:32 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

He was in the mix for the Blades job. It's no Saskatoon, but good to see Pearn found himself a decent job.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:04 pm 

Well I was definitely a hater of the Kelser trade but after considering that he only allowed one team to be traded to came around to luke warm. Good read breaking down the numbers. This definitely moves me to the positive side about the trade and quite frankly it portends the possibility of it actually turning into a pretty lop sided win for the Nucks................time will tell

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/9/17/offseason-transactions-deep-dive-the-ryan-kesler-trade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:05 pm 

saskhab wrote:
He was in the mix for the Blades job. It's no Saskatoon, but good to see Pearn found himself a decent job.

For now...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:33 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Fogghorn wrote:
Well I was definitely a hater of the Kelser trade but after considering that he only allowed one team to be traded to came around to luke warm. Good read breaking down the numbers. This definitely moves me to the positive side about the trade and quite frankly it portends the possibility of it actually turning into a pretty lop sided win for the Nucks................time will tell

If it turns into a win for the Canucks, I think the most likely cause will have been Kesler getting injured a lot of the time. And to be fair, this is hardly a pie-in-the-sky proposition.

My main gripe with the return is the suspicion that many have voiced that the Canucks could have gotten better future pieces from the Ducks, who could have afforded to shed a prospect or two more than most clubs, but Benning/Aquillini, in their "win now in spite of everything" mode, specifically went after guys like Bonino and Sbisa.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:12 pm 

The Ducks still made an enormously dumb decision by trading away Penner at the deadline and then not even bothering to get him back for possibly cheaper. I bet he and Kesler would supplement each other well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:58 am 

Lot's of questions this year, a big one is the 2nd line RW. Couple good writes related to that position where Canuck's Army evaluates Zac Kassian.

Quote:
To put this into perspective, there are, by definition, 90 1st line forwards in the NHL at any one given time. Kassian's scoring rate was consistent with that of a low-end 1st line winger, and was the same as Brandon Saad, David Perron, Reilly Smith, Ryan O'Reilly, and James van Reimsdyk - some pretty good company for a guy who's "struggled" at times.

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/10/3/canucks-army-player-previews-zack-kassian

PITB looks at the 5 options the Canuck's have for the position.

Quote:
http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/10/03/5-canucks-who-could-play-on-the-second-line-with-bonino-and-burrows/

Would be an incredible shame to see Kassian on the 4th line, I don't think its a good fit for his skill set. If Jensen gets the 2nd line spot though I can't see Kassian pushing Higgins to the 4th, Higgins just does too many things well to not be on the 3rd. I'd actually much prefer seeing Jensen go back to the AHL and dominate, and give Kassian time on the 2nd if only to showcase his skills and make him valuable for a trade.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:17 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Is there any way we can offload Sbisa? He looks every bit as bad as he ever has been.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:46 pm 

Is there any way we can offload Sbisa? He looks every bit as bad as he ever has been.

Well it has been a long time since the fan base has had a Brent Sopel equivalent to rally around before we tether and tie them to a stake....you need a match?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:56 pm 

Thank you, Sbisa, for making Avs fans everywhere feel a little better about that goofy Foote trade.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:52 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Fogghorn wrote:

Well it has been a long time since the fan base has had a Brent Sopel equivalent to rally around before we tether and tie them to a stake....you need a match?

Carnival Barker as our #6 still gives me the willies. Torts because the entire team was just awful in its own end. It hasn't been that long.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:30 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

We're doing really badly at securing a good lottery pick

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next