OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:18 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
and Chris Tanev. He's really looking good. And I have to eat some crow on Tanev--I knew he was good but the guy is looking practically franchise-level at this point in his career.

as fans we get biased in favour of our own. Its easy for outsiders to tune us out. And Tanev if you don't watch carefully is hard to fully appreciate. Not many points, his shot is pitiful, no big hits. Its really only at the end of the night that you notice that you never really noticed him all night. No mistakes, he just does all the little things as consistently well as anyone playing. And the puck always spends more time at the oppositions end of the ice than it did in his. He is a true number one Dman, but because he doesn't have any flair will go under appreciated and under paid for his career but that is all to the Nucks benefit.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:21 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
and Chris Tanev. He's really looking good. And I have to eat some crow on Tanev--I knew he was good but the guy is looking practically franchise-level at this point in his career.

as fans we get biased in favour of our own. Its easy for outsiders to tune us out. And Tanev if you don't watch carefully is hard to fully appreciate. Not many points, his shot is pitiful, no big hits. Its really only at the end of the night that you notice that you never really noticed him all night. No mistakes, he just does all the little things as consistently well as anyone playing. And the puck always spends more time at the oppositions end of the ice than it did in his. He is a true number one Dman, but because he doesn't have any flair will go under appreciated and under paid for his career but that is all to the Nucks benefit.

Bang on Foggy. If he had a true franchise dman as a partner, they'd be a wrecking crew at both ends of the ice.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:25 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Logical Progression wrote:
Bang on Foggy. If he had a true franchise dman as a partner, they'd be a wrecking crew at both ends of the ice.

While Rielly of the Leafs is not a franchise Dman he is a really good young one and him and Tanev I recall reading they where a real good match at the last World Championship.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:14 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Someone on Twitter (I think it was Steve Burtch) pointed out a very curious stat. I could be getting some of this wrong so apologies in advance.

He said the Canucks are the best team in the NHL thus far in shot suppression. No other team gives up fewer shots on goal. HOWEVER, the few shots they do give up are almost always scoring chances. That's really, really strange. I'm really not sure how that can happen.

Canucks finally lose in regulation. It took until Game Six for it to happen.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:55 am 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Someone on Twitter (I think it was Steve Burtch) pointed out a very curious stat. I could be getting some of this wrong so apologies in advance.

He said the Canucks are the best team in the NHL thus far in shot suppression. No other team gives up fewer shots on goal. HOWEVER, the few shots they do give up are almost always scoring chances. That's really, really strange. I'm really not sure how that can happen.

Yeah I saw that too. Wonder if its a short sample size anomaly that will work itself over the course of a full season.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:59 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Av-merican wrote:

I was going to say that could partially be a result of opposing teams not taking the "just throw it on net" with Miller in net, and picking their spots very carefully, but then that would happen with the likes of Lundqvist & other elite goalies as well. Weird.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:06 am 

The Canucks are currently 4-5-1 after 10 games, 4th place in the Pacific, which sounds very meh, but when you realize they have had a lead for an approximate total of 30 minutes over those 10 games, that's just...mind-blowing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:45 am 

Av-merican wrote:
The Canucks are currently 4-5-1 after 10 games, 4th place in the Pacific, which sounds very meh, but when you realize they have had a lead for an approximate total of 30 minutes over those 10 games, that's just...mind-blowing.

I know, they should be 1-8-1, with a commanding early lead for best chance in this years lottery. They can't even be good at being bad. But there is still time to recover from the early luck and take firm control of 30th place.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:06 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
I know, they should be 1-8-1, with a commanding early lead for best chance in this years lottery. They can't even be good at being bad. But there is still time to recover from the early luck and take firm control of 30th place.
Yes but the payoff won't be nearly as great. According to Buttons and Bobby Mac, over the next three years the draft will be weak and won't carry nearly the dearth of talent we've been spoiled with over the past 2-3 years.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:14 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Yes but the payoff won't be nearly as great. According to Buttons and Bobby Mac, over the next three years the draft will be weak and won't carry nearly the dearth of talent we've been spoiled with over the past 2-3 years.

Which is part of the reason the Nucks should have sold off their talent while it had value starting 3 years ago. But no, they wanted to win the cup even though it was obvious this was just marketing. (the lottery change, and expansion were the two other reasons to start sooner than later).

This has to be done. Its going to be painful and now its going to be longer and slower than it would have been if they started earlier.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:10 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Shut out in four of last five games?

No pressure there for the keepers. :doh:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:07 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Shut out in four of last five games?
No pressure there for the keepers. :doh:
The keepers have been nothing short of amazing. Must be deflating watching the team's offensive ineptitude unfold before their very eyes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:10 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Which is part of the reason the Nucks should have sold off their talent while it had value starting 3 years ago. But no, they wanted to win the cup even though it was obvious this was just marketing. (the lottery change, and expansion were the two other reasons to start sooner than later).
Yep. The writing was on the wall when Benning brought in Miller at that freight and term. We knew then it was going to be a long drawn out shit show.

The Aquilini's are ruining the franchise - albeit via indirect measures. They should just fuck off - conduct an independent internal hockey review - and get some real hockey people in to run the team.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:24 pm 

This has nothing to do with Benning or Linden, just a Stephanie GIF of the Hall hit on Philip Larsen:

https://twitter.com/myregularface/statu ... 64/photo/1

Sounds like he was conscious and responsive as they were carting him off, so that's good news.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:49 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9mV-CpolGc

Scary.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:43 pm 

Well there's been pretty much nothing but negativity and criticism in here (and elsewhere) this season. Nearly everyone preedicted the Canucks to finish last (many suiggesting getting as low as 65 points).

Then theres been the constant criticism of Linden, Benning, and WD, etc.: bad trades, poor depth, questionable drafting, poor management of younger players TOI, dressing/not dressing certain players, etc. Indeed the team did have a rough first 5 or so weeks, including a 9 game losing streak.

However, since their 15 game mark (Nov 11), the nucks have managed to earn the best points % of all the Canadian teams, and 8th best overall. While all games ultimately count in the standings, the 32 game sample since Nov.11 is quite significant, especially when considering the first 15 games are usually a feel out process for most teams to determine which players stick, the line combinations, and the players generally getting the rid of the rust.

1 Columbus 0.781
2 Minnesota 0.750
3 Washington 0.734
4 Pittsburgh 0.694
5 Anaheim 0.667
6 San Jose 0.656
7 Chicago 0.621
8 Carolina 0.609
8 NY Rangers 0.609
8 Vancouver 0.609
11 Calgary 0.606
12 Toronto 0.603
13 Edmonton 0.591
14 Ottawa 0.586
15 Philadelphia 0.581
16 Nashville 0.576
17 Los Angeles 0.567
18 Montreal 0.561
19 NY Islanders 0.552
20 St Louis 0.548
21 Florida 0.529
22 Boston 0.514
23 Buffalo 0.500
24 Dallas 0.484
24 Detroit 0.484
26 Winnipeg 0.469
27 Tampa Bay 0.455
28 New Jersey 0.441
29 Arizona 0.344
30 Colorado 0.250

Coupled with the fact that the Canucks have had the 7th largest cap hit of injured players in the league (and 2nd for D), makes this result even more surprising.

http://nhlinjuryviz.blogspot.ca/2016/10 ... downs.html

There's guarantees that their recent success will continue. However, it's clear that perhaps Benning and Linden's goal of making the playoffs, while getting younger and faster, may actually come to fruition.

Yet somehow I'm pretty sure there still be lots of criticism to follow. Go figure.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:14 pm 

Wow, did anyone actually post in here that Travis Green was named head coach? I didn't even realize until today that I didn't know whether or not the Nucks had filled their coaching vacancy.

I think the problem with Linden and Benning, is that it's not clear which direction they're going. While they say they want to get younger and faster, they have, over the years, acquired players who are neither. Mind you, I thought Peter Chiarelli was an absolute doofus when he first started in Boston, and then he up and won a Cup. He of course is the same guy who has traded away both Tyler Seguin and Taylor Hall, but hey, dude still has his name on the Cup.

I don't think the Canucks will truly embrace a real rebuild until the Sedins are gone. Right now they're trying to rebuild on the fly and it's not working. They weren't last in the league, but I think that speaks more to the awful point system and false parity that exists in the league as well as the general overall awfulness of the Avalanche than it does anything Benning has done right. And none of this is, of course, the fault of the Twins. I just think when a player(s) is that revered the franchise just doesn't want to admit defeat and tank it. It happened in NY with Mess and COL with Sakic. Neither team raised the white flag until those iconic players hung 'em up.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:16 pm 

Don't think Travis was posted Av but we knew, others have checked out just like I have.

And I've been saying for years they needed to start rebuilding sooner. Sell off assets while they had value and tank before the draft lottery changed and Vegas entered the picture. Going to be harder now. We'll never know if BenningLinden simply misjudged their talent or if they were under orders by management to try and stay competitive to keep the dollars coming in. All I know is the return to being a team that can compete for a cup is further away now that it should have been. And I'm pretty disenchanted with present management and won't be believing in them any time soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:21 pm 
Big in Japan

I would assume the Nucks have meddling owners. Usually the case when a team seems non-committal.

They re-signed Gudbranson to a one-year deal. Meh.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:43 pm 

The trade deadline moves of Burrows and Hansen were the signal that management had finally committed to changing course. They have since been shopping Tanev and have publicly declared they are committed to a rebuild. Who knows what that really entails these days. The term 'rebuild' comes in many guises.

As Foggy says, they started too late which will make it harder and longer to shape some form of competitive new core (i.e. no generational talent in the draft and mistakes made on contracts by management along the way). But as Av says the Canucks know that they can't really commit to a full rebuild until the Sedins are gone after next season. $14 Million in salaries and NMC makes them virtually immovable but hopefully they will at least impart some wisdom to the younger players regarding the commitment it will take to excel in this league.

Good signing of Gudbrunson - a one year, prove to us what you got contract. Tell tale sign will be to see what they do with Miller. Benning simply loves the guy and can't get out of his own way to save himself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next