OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:06 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
CanuckinOz wrote:
I wondered who got hit. sounds terrible hope he's going to be okay
Daniel Sedin taken to Vancouver General hospital and was reported to be in stable condition and 'moving some extremities'. :roll:

The lack of respect of young players for star players in this league is something to behold.....

Hang on. Forget the star players -- it's the simple respect of players for fellow players that has vanished from this game.

Well that really isn't Byron's game at all. Very few PIMs and he doesn't weight 160lbs. He just had a brain fart and it became limb threatening. Unfortunate but with human fallibility and kinetic energy it'll never be perfectly safe.

1040 is reporting movement in all extremities we'll see how it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:12 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Fogghorn wrote:
Well that really isn't Byron's game at all. Very few PIMs and he doesn't weight 160lbs. He just had a brain fart and it became limb threatening. Unfortunate but with human fallibility and kinetic energy it'll never be perfectly safe.
No but he saw numbers and wasn't going in to steal the puck. He knew who he was hitting and was in control of what he was doing. Scary play all around and yes, a brain fart would be an understatement.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:16 am 

Team 1040 reports that some of the things Hartley was saying when Daniel went down were pretty disrespectful. No specifics mentioned.

Hartley starts his 4th line again tonight - unbelievable.

Torts calls him 'bush league'. "I don't like the way he does business. I don't like him or his disrespect for players" Round and round the merry go round we go. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:33 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
No but he saw numbers and wasn't going in to steal the puck. He knew who he was hitting and was in control of what he was doing. Scary play all around and yes, a brain fart would be an understatement.
Team 1040 reports that some of the things Hartley was saying when Daniel went down were pretty disrespectful. No specifics mentioned.

Torts calls him 'bush league'. "I don't like the way he does business. I don't like him or his disrespect for players" Round and round the merry go round we go. :lol:

Going to miss Torts post game scrum. Like the candor he brought this year and glad he dropped the confrontation he was known for in NY. I actually wouldn't mind having him back again next year. I want a coach that pays attention to advanced stats which he most definitely doesn't but I'm hoping for a tank/rebuild year next year and he'd be an entertaining fella to keep around for that type of year.

And the whole starting of the 4th once again just makes me think Hartely is pure asshat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:38 am 

Fogghorn wrote:

Maybe I need to see another angle. From what I saw it was boarding but a pretty timid boarding, didn't look very hard and and at a pretty obtuse angle which diminishes impact energy. Couldn't tell from the angle but did Daniel catch a skate or twist somehow? I'll see more late.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:54 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

Going to miss Torts post game scrum. Like the candor he brought this year and glad he dropped the confrontation he was known for in NY. I actually wouldn't mind having him back again next year. I want a coach that pays attention to advanced stats which he most definitely doesn't but I'm hoping for a tank/rebuild year next year and he'd be an entertaining fella to keep around for that type of year.

And the whole starting of the 4th once again just makes me think Hartely is pure asshat.
I agree re: Torts. The organization needs a coaching staff who have a better balance between in depth understanding of advanced stats combined with great hockey instincts regarding personel in situational play. Self admittedly, Trev doesn't know thing one about advanced stats, which worries me, so he better surround himself with some advanced brains.

I say Torts will be gone within 2-3 weeks and they bring in Benning from Boston and John Stevens from LA? Let the speculation begin.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:21 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

According to Farhan Torts gets fired tomorrow

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:42 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Quote:
Jason Brough ‏@JasonPHT 14 min
According to @garymasonglobe, Torts wanted Canucks ownership to buy out Burrows.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:00 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Quote:
According to @garymasonglobe, Torts wanted Canucks ownership to buy out Burrows.

based on the year Burrows had, I can understand why, but looking at the single period of play would be myopic. If Torts understood advanced stats he'd know his year was a incredibly extreme outlier of bad luck for Burrows.

Quite frankly if they bought him out the fan base would be in revolt, he is one of, if not the most popular player on the team. So many people identify with his story of not being drafted, fighting through the ECHL to become a 30 goal scorer and being woefully underpaid for years until his most recent contract. And the Rangers would grab him in a minute. Lui, Wiese man if they had kept Torts his path of destruction could have ended up comparing to the Keenan years.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:38 pm 

Holy fuck, I'm reading off Botchford's Twitter that not only did Torts not talk at all to the Utica Comets head coach, he didn't attend gameday skates and only started doing so when Gillis forced him to!?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:48 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Holy fuck, I'm reading off Botchford's Twitter that not only did Torts not talk at all to the Utica Comets head coach, he didn't attend gameday skates and only started doing so when Gillis forced him to!?

Yea he delegated game day skates to the assistant. Didn't know about him not talking to Green though.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:11 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Quote:

based on the year Burrows had, I can understand why, but looking at the single period of play would be myopic. If Torts understood advanced stats he'd know his year was a incredibly extreme outlier of bad luck for Burrows.

Quite frankly if they bought him out the fan base would be in revolt, he is one of, if not the most popular player on the team. So many people identify with his story of not being drafted, fighting through the ECHL to become a 30 goal scorer and being woefully underpaid for years until his most recent contract. And the Rangers would grab him in a minute. Lui, Wiese man if they had kept Torts his path of destruction could have ended up comparing to the Keenan years.

Well put.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:12 pm 

OLD MAN SIGHTING

:shock:

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:02 pm 

Damn Torts was far worse then we thought. Now I understand why Kesler was inferring the PP would be better if they were to practice it.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/05/tortorella-uncovered-he-was-worse-than-we-thought/

Still he should have been fired for this shit at the end of January or they should have kept him and his stupidity for another season to grease the way to winning Eichel or McDavid.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:14 am 
Chaser, Wearer of Skirts

wow

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:09 am 
OTP Historian

Oh man, that's brutal...

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:47 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Sigh...

I need a new avatar...

Damn you torts and your silly losing ways.... dont practice the power play? really??? :psyduck:

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:08 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Captain Chaos wrote:
Sigh...

I need a new avatar...

Damn you torts and your silly losing ways.... dont practice the power play? really??? :psyduck:

Remember when I said he would be Keenan all over again? Guess who also didn't practice the power play.

Oh also, chasing Dale Weise out of town. Clearly a great move.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:06 pm 

Crap, Benning/Linden presser today. Seems they are both on board that this team can be quickly turned around and are not interested in a rebuild. Damn, their possession last year indicates that this is reasonably possible, but its still an aging team with a shot at the playoffs but no shot at the cup. I'm afraid they're going to be just avoiding the inevitable, their core is getting older, will have even less trade value and when rebuild time comes it will take a lot longer.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:57 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Crap, Benning/Linden presser today. Seems they are both on board that this team can be quickly turned around and are not interested in a rebuild. Damn, their possession last year indicates that this is reasonably possible, but its still an aging team with a shot at the playoffs but no shot at the cup. I'm afraid they're going to be just avoiding the inevitable, their core is getting older, will have even less trade value and when rebuild time comes it will take a lot longer.

I dunno, maybe they won't be contenders, but do you really want to strip it bare? The Sedins certainly can't be moved, and Burrows likely doesn't have any trade value. Everyone knew the Avs' days of contention ended the day Forsberg and Foote left town, but they still managed to make a decent go of it with Sakic, Hejduk, and some spare parts. So long as they don't make the huge mistake the Avs did and try to plug all the holes with a couple big signings, it might be possible to turn the ship around quickly. And if not, meh, at least your team was still fun to watch.

I think tanking should only be embraced when it's clear there's no real core any longer. That was definitely the case in Buffalo, I don't think that's the case in Vancouver though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next