OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:48 pm 

Nice piece of work

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:22 pm 

Lack calls out Lu for a goalie fight, Reddit users crowd source the idea into song, and Eliza Eaton sings the parody shit out of it.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/03/24/eddie-lack-asks-do-you-wanna-have-a-goalie-fight-in-amazing-frozen-parody/

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:26 pm 

Tort's advanced stats, this would explain a lot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:30 pm 
Vegemite Enthusiast

Not exactly sure why I find this tweet absolutely hilarious but I do

Wyatt Arndt‏@TheStanchion·
Get the feeling this game ends with a horrified Shorthouse screaming "AND NOW KASSIAN HAS TAKEN HODGSONS HEAD OFF AND IS DRINKING THE BLOOD"

Maybe cause I have no trouble imagining Shorthouse doing it after all the games I've listened to. Have to start following him on twitter and then actually looking at it.
Possibly also because it's been a long week and I'm tired

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:48 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

So now that it's over - over can we clean house and bring in a new GM before the draft with his choice of coach and see where we go from there? Or do we have to suffer for years? This team is long in the tooth but is no where near as bad as they've been this year.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:51 pm 
OTP Historian

LeBrun says that Torts is "more than likely" gone after this year.

http://beta.thescore.com/news/469273

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:58 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

To me, if I'm ownership, I don't allow Gillis to fire Tortorella and I don't fire Gillis before firing Torts. They're both linked in my mind and if one is deemed to 'deserve' another year than the other gets that next year as well. If Torts should be fired, so should Gillis. Simple as that.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:04 pm 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
To me, if I'm ownership, I don't allow Gillis to fire Tortorella and I don't fire Gillis before firing Torts. They're both linked in my mind and if one is deemed to 'deserve' another year than the other gets that next year as well. If Torts should be fired, so should Gillis. Simple as that.

I agree with this. If Torts goes, Gillis has to go. Are they going to allow Gillis to fire Torts, hand out another 3-5 year contract to a coach, see it fail again and then axe him and stick another GM with that coach? Fire the coach again? Not likely.

That's one expensive parting though if they fire both.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:33 pm 

Bosc wrote:
saskhab wrote:

I agree with this. If Torts goes, Gillis has to go. Are they going to allow Gillis to fire Torts, hand out another 3-5 year contract to a coach, see it fail again and then axe him and stick another GM with that coach? Fire the coach again? Not likely.

That's one expensive parting though if they fire both.

Probably $8 mil plus, no one knows Gillis salary but it must be at least equal to Torts. I don't see the Aquilini's being likely to do this and when consideration is given that the Aquilini's were involved through the whole Tortorella hiring process it's hard to say how much they'll blame Gillis for that decision.

I won't be surprised if Tortorella is here for one more year unless a coach becomes available that they really covet. And I think Gillis is safe for one more year as well. Unfortunately.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:16 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

See, I'm not so sure about that. Case in point:

Quote:
Ferraro "I've been told by various sources (some pretty good ones) that ownership was heavily involved in the Torts hiring"

Why should a GM who didn't want Torts in the first place (allegedly) be fired because of his failures? I get that Gillis has royally screwed things up here, but I don't think they should be chained together as a result of this disastrous season.

If anything, when ownership is interceding like this, it just indicates they've lost faith in the GM. And if that's the case, they should just get rid of him if they're not going to let him do his job.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:51 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:

Quote:
Ferraro "I've been told by various sources (some pretty good ones) that ownership was heavily involved in the Torts hiring"

Why should a GM who didn't want Torts in the first place (allegedly) be fired because of his failures? I get that Gillis has royally screwed things up here, but I don't think they should be chained together as a result of this disastrous season.

If anything, when ownership is interceding like this, it just indicates they've lost faith in the GM. And if that's the case, they should just get rid of him if they're not going to let him do his job.

Yeah, if they were involved in the hiring, it changes the dynamic.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:10 pm 

Av-merican wrote:

Quote:

Agreed it's meddlesome but there are lots of managers that micro manage subordinates everywhere. The thing is I wouldn't be surprised if the Aquilini's approach the club more as a passionate hobby and as such want to be involved in these decisions. I think that's a bad way to do things, they should hire a GM they trust and then stand back. However it's their club and if things go wrong with their decisions well hopefully they have the courage to accept the responsibility and not foist Gillis for their screwups.

The other issue is cost. From the best source I came across after Luogno was traded was that the deal Florida offered this year is the exact same deal Florida offered a year ago but ownership would not accept the Canucks keeping part of Lu's salary. If so it indicates that they are really loathe to eat salary and cost us Schneider. It's because of these two factors I expect Gillis and Tortorella to be back next season. I can see Tortorella maybe gone but certainly not both even though I think they should be.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:59 pm 

So GMMG on the radio today. My take away is Tort's will be back depending on his willingness to change style and on the feedback exit interviews from the players. Which I think means he'll go zero for two on both those criteria so good bye Torts.

Summaries here.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/04/03 ... ext-season

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/4/3/gillis- ... mpo-hockey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:50 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Fogghorn wrote:
So GMMG on the radio today. My take away is Tort's will be back depending on his willingness to change style and on the feedback exit interviews from the players. Which I think means he'll go zero for two on both those criteria so good bye Torts.

Summaries here.

Wow -- my take on today's interview is that Gillis played his biggest chip, throws Torts under the bus and basically says it's either 'me or him' live on air. Either he gets to run the team under his vision full stop; or he's gone. Torts was an Aquilini hiring, everyone knows that. Wasn't a fit under this team makeup. It's now up to Aquilini to either fire one of the two or both. My money is on Torts that is sure to be gone and Gilles likely gets saved by a hair. Either that or they are both gone. Any way you slice it, I don't think Torts survives.....

Check out minute 28 and on for this interview. Get's intetesting around minute 31.

https://soundcloud.com/bro-jake-show/ja ... ts/podcast

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:08 am 

Remember, this is an ownership group that initially balked on eating part of Luongo's contract and recently fired the entire concession staff. Torts has four more years on his deal. My prediction? Gillis is gone, Torts stays.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:43 am 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Remember, this is an ownership group that initially balked on eating part of Luongo's contract and recently fired the entire concession staff. Torts has four more years on his deal. My prediction? Gillis is gone, Torts stays.

I think the case with the concession staff was that they didn't renew their deal with Aramark. That's a little different than just firing everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:32 am 

Bosc wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

I think the case with the concession staff was that they didn't renew their deal with Aramark. That's a little different than just firing everyone.

Actually, from what I understand they still had time on the deal and Aquilini dispatched them early. Aramark was considering legal action. And I thought I read they're using students now at minimum wage.

Basically, firing Torts after one year means not only do they have to eat at least part of a five-year deal, but they also have to admit they fucked up when they hired him in the first place. I think they throw Gillis under the bus before they do that. We'll see, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:54 am 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Actually, from what I understand they still had time on the deal and Aquilini dispatched them early. Aramark was considering legal action. And I thought I read they're using students now at minimum wage.

Ahh, ok.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:54 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Av-merican wrote:
They would still need to eat the same or more on Gilles' salary, around 8 million.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:50 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

Summaries here.

Wow -- my take on today's interview is that Gillis played his biggest chip, throws Torts under the bus and basically says it's either 'me or him' live on air. Either he gets to run the team under his vision full stop; or he's gone. Torts was an Aquilini hiring, everyone knows that. Wasn't a fit under this team makeup. It's now up to Aquilini to either fire one of the two or both. My money is on Torts that is sure to be gone and Gilles likely gets saved by a hair. Either that or they are both gone. Any way you slice it, I don't think Torts survives.....

Check out minute 28 and on for this interview. Get's intetesting around minute 31.

https://soundcloud.com/bro-jake-show/ja ... ts/podcast

Ferraro see's it the same as you LP.

Quote:
Ray Ferraro felt Gillis was drawing a line in sand. Via the Vancouver Sun:

“That is as big a distancing from the coach as I’ve seen,” Ferraro said in an interview Thursday. “That’s pushing you to that side of the room and I’m on this side of the room and whoever is making the decision upstairs, you’ve got one or the other.

“I see it as totally unlikely that both are gone and totally unlikely that both are back.”

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/04/04/this-guy-or-this-guy-john-tortorella-or-mike-gillis/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next