OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:57 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Oh god -100% agree. There is no plan. As you say they are "meandering along switching streams on organizational philosophy whenever something looks more interesting". Regarding the playoffs: not one single decision (or non-decision) Gilles has made this year has suggested that they have a fucking clue what they are doing with this team. "Of course every decision we make is with the expectation to be in the playoffs".

There hasn't been a plan since Gilles got resigned on the heels of the Cup run. He is making it up as he goes along.

Regarding the Archibald call up. This has Torts written all over it. Gilles: "We are a collective and collaborate on all hockey related issues". But we all know Torts is hell bent on sticking with his antiquated fucking d-type system and loves big bodies and checker types. "The offence will come" - bullshit.

The Torts hiring was an unmitigated disaster. Wrong coach, wrong team. He burned them out and when injuries mounted, he explained away as a turn of events, the likes of which nobody has ever seen before. Umm okay....? His system does nothing to facilitate offence. He is coaching them outdated playoff system but when you team can't even get into the fucking playoffs, something's amiss. The Sedins haven't scored A SINGLE GOAL THIS ENTIRE YEAR! Burrows may never score a goal again in his ENTIRE LIFE.

I was a big supporter of Torts when he first arrived despite being somewhat miffed by passing on Lindy Ruff. But Torts has to go. He hasn't evolved as a person nor a hockey mind. He is in year 1 of his 4 year contract. Is he the appropriate coach for a rebuild? Something's not quite right in this pool of decision making.

Also how does Gilles expect to rebuild the team around the Sedins? The have brand new contracts and NTC's up the ying yang. But would it be fair to them to keep around for a total rebuild? Would they even want this? Veteran leadership I guess. I don't think Gilles even has a plan and is just making it up as he goes along. The demand for a rebuild came much sooner than anyone expected.

The Heritage Classic was an unmitigated PR disaster and Torts decision to start Lack facilitated the Luongo trade. Gilles publicly refutes the timeline of the proceedings when both player agent and player confirm this was never the case.

Gilles trades Schneider and Luongo for the future Horvat etc. yet sign the Sedins this year? The Kesler situation was just weird and sort of came out of the blue. Speculation is that the asking price kept changing right up to the trade deadline. Duthie reports that Anaheim made the most serious run for him but fell short and didn't have time to make contingency plans.

Attendance is down. Nobody wants to admit it but it's true.

Good luck Gilles.

Sedin's are another example of Gillis's mistakes. I was and am happy that they'll finish their careers here. They signed on knowing that there was a youth movement coming and chances for another cup were slim but were committed to helping younger players to grow so that was their choice. The problem I have with Gillis is he reacted to Daniel's early season splurge thinking he had returned to form. For an organization that supposedly is all over advanced stats they should have realized this might just be a statistical aberration. Sure enough he's returned to the same non-goal scoring form he's maintained since the Duncan Kieth hit. They could have waited a few months just to mitigate that risk but now they're committed to paying him $7 mil when he's worth half that.

As for Tort's I've appreciated his candor and honesty with the media, he's really reformed himself. However he is too old school imo. Every human looks for patterns in individual or social behavior to achieve understanding. It's just how our brains work, we're not linear in the sense that a computer digests information. The problem this creates is that we tend to assume that correlation then equals causation which often is incorrect. Cam Charron did a great write up on why the decision to insert Lack over Lui for the Heritage Classic was incorrect. http://canucksarmy.com/2014/3/3/if-eddie-lack-was-the-answer-then-you-asked-the-wrong-question Being a hot goalie for a few games or a shit goalie for a few is meaningless. It's too small a sample size. And is he points over Lu's career, previous performance is a pretty lousy indicator of next games performance. That's why stats are so important, they cut through the bullshit biases we all develop to give a clearer indication to make the correct decision. I don't expect most people to get this, people prefer gut instinct to math and reason. However I do expect the Canuck's as an organization to hire coaches who do understand this and will make use of the available data and that the coaches are capable of then seeing past their own biases and improve their understanding of coaching. Tort's failed this test and it's a pretty significant indicator of his approach to coaching imo. He's leaving opportunity to improve himself and win games on the bench.

And the decision to give him a 5 year contract always perplexed me. I don't believe Torts had so many suitors that this was required. Pretty sure they could have gotten him for three years and if he didn't work out easy enough to move on. He had so much baggage and Gillis did not mitigate this risk.

All of this just indicates to me that Gillis doesn't pay a lot of attention to advanced stats either or he would have hired a coach who either understood them or was at least very amiable to learning from them and he would have held off on the Sedin contract decision a couple more months.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:45 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Fogghorn wrote:
Logical Progression wrote:
Oh god -100% agree. There is no plan. As you say they are "meandering along switching streams on organizational philosophy whenever something looks more interesting". Regarding the playoffs: not one single decision (or non-decision) Gilles has made this year has suggested that they have a fucking clue what they are doing with this team. "Of course every decision we make is with the expectation to be in the playoffs".

There hasn't been a plan since Gilles got resigned on the heels of the Cup run. He is making it up as he goes along.

Regarding the Archibald call up. This has Torts written all over it. Gilles: "We are a collective and collaborate on all hockey related issues". But we all know Torts is hell bent on sticking with his antiquated fucking d-type system and loves big bodies and checker types. "The offence will come" - bullshit.

The Torts hiring was an unmitigated disaster. Wrong coach, wrong team. He burned them out and when injuries mounted, he explained away as a turn of events, the likes of which nobody has ever seen before. Umm okay....? His system does nothing to facilitate offence. He is coaching them outdated playoff system but when you team can't even get into the fucking playoffs, something's amiss. The Sedins haven't scored A SINGLE GOAL THIS ENTIRE YEAR! Burrows may never score a goal again in his ENTIRE LIFE.

I was a big supporter of Torts when he first arrived despite being somewhat miffed by passing on Lindy Ruff. But Torts has to go. He hasn't evolved as a person nor a hockey mind. He is in year 1 of his 4 year contract. Is he the appropriate coach for a rebuild? Something's not quite right in this pool of decision making.

Also how does Gilles expect to rebuild the team around the Sedins? The have brand new contracts and NTC's up the ying yang. But would it be fair to them to keep around for a total rebuild? Would they even want this? Veteran leadership I guess. I don't think Gilles even has a plan and is just making it up as he goes along. The demand for a rebuild came much sooner than anyone expected.

The Heritage Classic was an unmitigated PR disaster and Torts decision to start Lack facilitated the Luongo trade. Gilles publicly refutes the timeline of the proceedings when both player agent and player confirm this was never the case.

Gilles trades Schneider and Luongo for the future Horvat etc. yet sign the Sedins this year? The Kesler situation was just weird and sort of came out of the blue. Speculation is that the asking price kept changing right up to the trade deadline. Duthie reports that Anaheim made the most serious run for him but fell short and didn't have time to make contingency plans.

Attendance is down. Nobody wants to admit it but it's true.

Good luck Gilles.

Sedin's are another example of Gillis's mistakes. I was and am happy that they'll finish their careers here. They signed on knowing that there was a youth movement coming and chances for another cup were slim but were committed to helping younger players to grow so that was their choice. The problem I have with Gillis is he reacted to Daniel's early season splurge thinking he had returned to form. For an organization that supposedly is all over advanced stats they should have realized this might just be a statistical aberration. Sure enough he's returned to the same non-goal scoring form he's maintained since the Duncan Kieth hit. They could have waited a few months just to mitigate that risk but now they're committed to paying him $7 mil when he's worth half that.

As for Tort's I've appreciated his candor and honesty with the media, he's really reformed himself. However he is too old school imo. Every human looks for patterns in individual or social behavior to achieve understanding. It's just how our brains work, we're not linear in the sense that a computer digests information. The problem this creates is that we tend to assume that correlation then equals causation which often is incorrect. Cam Charron did a great write up on why the decision to insert Lack over Lui for the Heritage Classic was incorrect. http://canucksarmy.com/2014/3/3/if-eddie-lack-was-the-answer-then-you-asked-the-wrong-question Being a hot goalie for a few games or a shit goalie for a few is meaningless. It's too small a sample size. And is he points over Lu's career, previous performance is a pretty lousy indicator of next games performance. That's why stats are so important, they cut through the bullshit biases we all develop to give a clearer indication to make the correct decision. I don't expect most people to get this, people prefer gut instinct to math and reason. However I do expect the Canuck's as an organization to hire coaches who do understand this and will make use of the available data and that the coaches are capable of then seeing past their own biases and improve their understanding of coaching. Tort's failed this test and it's a pretty significant indicator of his approach to coaching imo. He's leaving opportunity to improve himself and win games on the bench.

And the decision to give him a 5 year contract always perplexed me. I don't believe Torts had so many suitors that this was required. Pretty sure they could have gotten him for three years and if he didn't work out easy enough to move on. He had so much baggage and Gillis did not mitigate this risk.

All of this just indicates to me that Gillis doesn't pay a lot of attention to advanced stats either or he would have hired a coach who either understood them or was at least very amiable to learning from them and he would have held off on the Sedin contract decision a couple more months.
What I simply don't understand is why Gillis would re-sign the Sedins early in the season instead of just letting them play out the year in view of ALL the uncertainty over the last 2-3 years. It makes zero sense given the obvious risks this season presented. At the start of this campaign, would it be fair to say there was a 50% chance of them needing a complete overhaul? Or even 40%? Even if it was 30% why re-sign them? The liklihood was far too great. It just further limits their already limited options, given NTC's and term on deals and salaries. He's too loyal to the players and still believed in this core right through to Olympic break. Not strategic IMO.

With regards to Torts 5 year deal (I forgot it was 5, not 4 - ugh), my sense was that it was a vanity deal and they eventually caved to Torts wishes and explained it away internally as good optics for the team because AV signed with the Rags for the same term. Copy cat league -- copycat guy, our guy is as good as yours etc. Torts may be open to play the youth in the organization a lot and give them more of a chance, but he's more likely to hammer home his system by rewarding anyone who fits into it. Is he really the right coach with the right system in this league for a total rebuild? His mind set is to play the best players he has at any given moment as much as humanely possible without causing death. They're not dogs Torts...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:41 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

I'm not as down on Gillis as most of you, but I absolutely want Tortorella gone as soon as possible. In fact, can I take the opportunity to quote myself on the day of his hire? Because it has turned out exactly as I feared:

Jyrki21 wrote:
Tell me this isn't serious...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426004

I assumed they were just covering their bases interviewing Tortorella. Are the Canucks and Rangers seriously going to make a coach trade?

If true, here come bazillions of injuries and a media circus. I get the 1997-98 Keenan feeling very strongly right now.

I have felt shades of 1997-98 since the start of this down period. There is just a lot of similarity, right down to special occasions (All-Star Game vs. Heritage Classic), disgruntled star player, trading guys away weeks after acquiring them -- Raphael Diaz, you are the new Enrico Ciccone! Congrats!

I was also bang-on with the loads of injuries and media circus. I'm not trying to say "I told you so" (though I also am) so much as this was all rather predictable.

I don't think Torts will be fired, though, unfortunately, because I think Aquilini might block it, even if Gillis is fired. Unlike Vigneault, who was sure to be hired right away if let go, Tortorella likely won't get work so quickly after this, meaning the owner would be on the hook to keep paying him and a new coach for quite a while, and we know he doesn't like throwing money away in principle (such as the buyout situation, and the rumors that even Ballard was refused at first). And then there's one other aspect...

Fogghorn wrote:
And the decision to give him a 5 year contract always perplexed me. I don't believe Torts had so many suitors that this was required.

Can we get to a bit of an elephant in the room? I'm actually surprised this hasn't come up more often except jokingly, not that I'm making a pronouncement on it one way or the other, but rather just floating the idea... is it possible that the Italian factor has something to do with it? Especially considering the reported ownership involvement in Luongo's contract as well? (I know a few other areas where this has come up too, and no, I'm not thinking of Santorelli). Is Aquaman thinking a bit with his heart at times?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:06 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Jyrki21 wrote:
I was also bang-on with the loads of injuries and media circus. I'm not trying to say "I told you so" (though I also am) so much as this was all rather predictable.

I don't think Torts will be fired, though, unfortunately, because I think Aquilini might block it, even if Gillis is fired. Unlike Vigneault, who was sure to be hired right away if let go, Tortorella likely won't get work so quickly after this, meaning the owner would be on the hook to keep paying him and a new coach for quite a while, and we know he doesn't like throwing money away in principle (such as the buyout situation, and the rumors that even Ballard was refused at first). And then there's one other aspect...
Being right is overrated. :lol:

Seriously though, nice prediction J21. I hope you are wrong about your second prediction regarding Torts not being fired. It seems like he hasn't matured with the game as a coach and his bombastic, control freak routine has already worn out here. His tenure as an NHL head coach seems to be slowly drawing to a close. But who knows when that will be. Chances of him finding head coaching work right away are uncertain and 4 years salary is a lot for Aquilini to eat so quickly after signing him with all the rumours swirling that he influenced the hiring of Torts to begin with. Given his distaste for not throwing money away we could be stuck with both at least until the beginning of next season. I believe Gilles has 3 more years left on the contract extension he signed in 2012.

One of these two has to go but I would rather see Torts go knowing that only one will likely be fired. Too riskly to dump both in the offseason.

It terms of the elephant in the room, couldn't agree more. It is pretty well documented that Luongo was an Aquilini guy. You can't help but infer that this may have had a hand with the Torts hiring. Aquilini does honour his heritage and is a control freak when it comes to trust in his business ventures as well. Do not cross the Godfather. Hands on owners become dysfunctional in hockey and rarely work. If the rumours are true about all his meddling, it's little wonder we are where we are right now. It's more than just owning and running of a business. This is a public trust. Despite how much he cares about this team and it's success, if his input is even 30% on hockey decisions, somewhere along the lines he didn't get the memo to leave hockey operations to the experts and would therefore, be the most culpable for running this team into the ground.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:50 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

Far out, I don't' mind playing boring hockey if it's winning hockey but it's not right now (right now being this calendar year) We finally beat a team and I wish we'd lost cause I want a better draft pick. If Gillis goes as he should, Torts should be the next GM's decision, what's this BS about not replacing them both? We've gone from contender (arguably) to looking at a top ten (at least) pick in a year - as the saying goes you can't trade 'em all. This team should definitely be better than that even with all the injuries