OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:49 pm 

Busy week, the good part is catching the Hawks who've been sucking for a few games, however the Canucks have been sucking worse and for longer.

Hank still out and expected to be out until after the Olympics, Santorelli rumoured for shoulder surgery which would be a real shame for him as he had such a good season so far and was looking for a big pay day next year. And Tanev supposed to be out with a fractured thumb :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:59 pm 

Rumour confirmed, Santo out 5-6 months with shoulder surgery and can add Juice to the injured, he's out until after the Olympics. Looks like Corrado will be back up and we'll have to hope there are no more injuries on the D as I don't even know who the 10th dman is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:14 pm 

Wow Jets are outplaying the Nucks, I guess losing the 1st and 3rd centre, and #2 and #3 dman can have an impact on a team, especially when the farm team is still crap. Gillis this was your #1 commitment to change when you were hired, to have decent players in the system.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:45 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Jets have some pretty good players--they just had a coach who had no clue how to properly use them. I'm still not convinced Maurice is a great coach, but listening to him do analysis he clearly knows a lot about the game.

Who's the Nucks' draft guru? Most teams (I believe) leave the drafting to another guy you don't see until draft day. The Avs have Rick Pracey, who's done a lot to rebuild a system that Lacroix gutted or otherwise messed up with some nepotistic picks or just plain bad choices. The Habs have Trevor Timmins, and I imagine the Flyers HAVE to have someone doing their drafting since they seem to fall ass-backwards into top prospects every year. Building a good scouting staff seems just as important these days as building the roster itself.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:05 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Fogghorn wrote:
Rumour confirmed, Santo out 5-6 months with shoulder surgery and can add Juice to the injured, he's out until after the Olympics. Looks like Corrado will be back up and we'll have to hope there are no more injuries on the D as I don't even know who the 10th dman is.
Saw Bieksa in Vancouver today on crutches and in a 'walking' boot. Looked like a broken ankle to me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:02 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Saw Bieksa in Vancouver today on crutches and in a 'walking' boot. Looked like a broken ankle to me.

Well I guess its a good thing he has the Olympics off, bizarre they didn't sit him earlier since the injury occurred a couple weeks ago in the LA game.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:08 am 

Av-merican wrote:

Who's the Nucks' draft guru? Most teams (I believe) leave the drafting to another guy you don't see until draft day. The Avs have Rick Pracey, who's done a lot to rebuild a system that Lacroix gutted or otherwise messed up with some nepotistic picks or just plain bad choices. The Habs have Trevor Timmins, and I imagine the Flyers HAVE to have someone doing their drafting since they seem to fall ass-backwards into top prospects every year. Building a good scouting staff seems just as important these days as building the roster itself.

Ron Delorme but I don't think anyone has ever inferred he was a guru until today. Thomas Gradin covers Sweden and a lot of Europe actually and has done a really good job there but overall the Canucks have been very average at drafting. In Delorme's defense they've also had really poor draft position for a decade. So when considering their position they've been okay, but GMMG trading away picks that have really not improved the team has been the bigger issue imo.