OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:37 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Bosc wrote:
saskhab wrote:
Hartley is one of those 'rabid dog' guys with enforcers. He expects them to be violent, and keeps them on the bench until such moment is required. It's an awful strategy on so many levels. He generally doesn't have the respect of his enforcers. He doesn't care, either.

I remember him being a shithead at times with his enforcers in Atlanta.

And Scott Parker clearly didn't like the guy either.

I'm glad that for all the things Roy did learn from Hartley, his penchant for thuggery isn't one of them, even in cases (like when Westgarth was bullying his way around the ice against the Avs, go figure) it might be warranted.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:42 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Bosc wrote:
saskhab wrote:
Hartley is one of those 'rabid dog' guys with enforcers. He expects them to be violent, and keeps them on the bench until such moment is required. It's an awful strategy on so many levels. He generally doesn't have the respect of his enforcers. He doesn't care, either.

I remember him being a shithead at times with his enforcers in Atlanta.

And Scott Parker clearly didn't like the guy either.

I'm glad that for all the things Roy did learn from Hartley, his penchant for thuggery isn't one of them, even in cases (like when Westgarth was bullying his way around the ice against the Avs, go figure) it might be warranted.

Well, there have been some incidents involving Roy's junior team. :lol: Maybe he won't be doing that in the show but I guess we'll see.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:47 pm 

Bosc wrote:
there have been some incidents involving Roy's junior team. :lol: Maybe he won't be doing that in the show but I guess we'll see.

Yah I know :lol: but to be fair I think it was a little different since his sons have even shorter tempers than he does. So far, Roy's been pretty zen (y'know, apart from opening night) so far this season. Of course the same was said about Torts until recently.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:28 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Captain Chaos wrote:
saskhab wrote:
That being said, Vancouver's recent actions have to be considered here. This is the type of violence they've displayed in recent games, so teams that have that at their disposal are going to challenge them.

To beat the Flames? Really? Respectfully, I don't think that washes as something to be considered.

I put more credence in the theory that Hartley wanted to prove team toughness to Burkie.

I'm saying that Vancouver going around California gooning it up gets noticed by opposing teams. The Flames' 'message sending' probably had something to do with Setsito being the 'embarassment of the week in sports'. I doubt the Flames ice that starting lineup if it's Winnipeg or Los Angeles visiting. And they wouldn't have done this earlier in the year against Vancouver, either.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:00 pm 

Seems like Hank's iron man streak of 679 games (6th longest ever) is done. They didn't pack his gear for the trip to Edmonton and assistant coach Sullivan has confirmed he won't be playing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:08 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Fogghorn wrote:
Seems like Hank's iron man streak of 679 games (6th longest ever) is done. They didn't pack his gear for the trip to Edmonton and assistant coach Sullivan has confirmed he won't be playing.

Too bad, but it's important he get's healthy - something clearly not right with him the last couple of games.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:19 pm 

Quote:
Without Henrik, Ryan Kesler will slide up to the first line between Daniel and Alex Burrows, with Brad Richardson centring the second line in his stead. The real question is how Daniel will perform without his brother.

Crap, the 2nd best setup player on the team is Daniel, shift him to center and Kassian up to the first line, lets see what happens. The team is in a bit of trouble with both Santo and Hank out, might as well experiment. Especially considering Daniel seems to be aging and like most goal scorers that quick reflex shot matters and it's not that quick anymore, it would be nice to find out if he can translate his passing and ice vision into a centre position this late in his career.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:34 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Crap, the 2nd best setup player on the team is Daniel, shift him to center and Kassian up to the first line, lets see what happens. The team is in a bit of trouble with both Santo and Hank out, might as well experiment. Especially considering Daniel seems to be aging and like most goal scorers that quick reflex shot matters and it's not that quick anymore, it would be nice to find out if he can translate his passing and ice vision into a centre position this late in his career.

He's played wing since he was a wee pup in Örnsköldsvik. I doubt you're going to get him to change his game and play like Henrik. I bet you'd have an easier time putting Burrows at the pivot and slapping Daniel and Kesler on the wings. Or Kassian for that matter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:17 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

He's played wing since he was a wee pup in Örnsköldsvik. I doubt you're going to get him to change his game and play like Henrik. I bet you'd have an easier time putting Burrows at the pivot and slapping Daniel and Kesler on the wings. Or Kassian for that matter.

I've thought that about Burrows for a few years now, his understanding of the game is maybe the best on the team and as a 3rd line defensive centre he'd probably add a couple years to his time in the NHL. And I agree putting Daniel to centre this late in his career would almost for sure not work, but why not try it for a few games and see how it looks, I can't see it being that much worse than Richardson as a 2nd line centre.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:33 pm 

Torts gets 15 days without pay. Not sure how many days and $$$ that adds up to.

EDIT: Here it is.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441725

So it's six games, during which he is to not have any contact with the team.

Also, Hartley got fined $25,000. Uh, okay.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:19 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Torts gets 15 days without pay. Not sure how many days and $$$ that adds up to.

EDIT: Here it is.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441725

So it's six games, during which he is to not have any contact with the team.

Also, Hartley got fined $25,000. Uh, okay.

Very rough calculation for Torts at about 2 million a year would be about $40000k

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:58 am 

If Kassian ever learns to play consistently average defence he could be something really special. He just has such really good hands for such a big guy and now has 10 goals in 47 shots.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:05 pm 

What the hell did he do last night that has Oilers fans up in arms?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:13 pm 

Av-merican wrote:

Not sure other than they have been screaming for blood since he re-arranged Gagner's face and no one has done anything about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:07 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Not sure other than they have been screaming for blood since he re-arranged Gagner's face and no one has done anything about it.

Oh God, are they still harping about that? I was wondering why they kept going on and on about him not answering the bell when Gadzic prompted him.

Kassian's a dirty player and what not, but geez.

Also, the fact that an enforcer has to wear a visor just makes me realize how silly the whole notion of an enforcer these days is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:48 am 

Well Schroeder had a nice return with 2 goals.

David Perron would look much better in the blue and green

Kasssian,..............nooooooooooooooooooooo! And that is why he's not allowed to play in the last 5 minutes of the game. Goalie pulled and he decides he's Bobby Orr and going to carry the puck instead of chipping it in......

Okay so why was Luo playing in the 2nd game of the back to back? Historically he underperforms in the 2nd and Lack has been bloody excellent so why not?