OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:31 pm 

Well since everyone has pretty much disappeared along with the GDT thought I would try posting a weekly thread and see how that works out (stole the idea from PITB). Or it can be just a place to talk at myself but in public instead of just inside my head as per normal.

The Nucks just took 6 points in a four game road trip. Didn't deserve the two in Carolina but nice to see one of those 'luck' games go their way after having recent losses to Anaheim, SJ, LA etc where they out played yet lost to their opponent.

Makes a big difference when the PP finally starts to click. Think that's 5 goals in last 6 games.

Burrows out with broken jaw, Edler sidelined with lower bodyitis, will Corrado get the call?

Santorelli and Stanton continue to amaze. I said last spring and all summer with the Nucks cap issues that they needed to get really lucky to continue to be serious for the Stanley Cup hunt. Was hoping for healthy Kesler (check), healthy Booth (not so much) and Kassian maturation (not yet grasshopper) and the Sedins to maintain (check) and Santa to deliver Edler some consistency (this was about as likely as me winning the lotto). What I didn't expect was the play of these two that looked like cap desperation moves on the part of GIllis (it's probably what he thought too). Santorelli looked to be in a battle for the 4th line and some time in the AHL, what we got was a decent second line, excellent third line centre and Stanton has probably been better that Tanev, hell he's making Bieksa look dependable. Amazing find and maybe, just maybe this is the unexpected luck I was hoping for.

Upcoming week. Home stand -Dec 6. Phoenix. A game 31 that is really meaningful? Damn I like the new NHL divisions. The Nucks have been playing much better than there win column shows, just bad luck or statistical deviation call it what you want. The result is they are looking up for a playoff spot. The stats will average out but the problem is the teams they are chasing are all very good and all capable of 95 point plus seasons. (especially the way they all abuse the east) So they can't just count on the stats averaging out and all powerful Corsi deity mother making things right and handing them a spot. They need to help themselves in all the potential four point games and that means Colorado, Minnesota, LA and Phoenix. They can play excellent the rest of the year but if they go zero for whatever against these teams they probably don't make the playoffs.

Thankfully the PP is starting to work and Phoenix has a a terrible D this year, should be a win.

Then another meaningful game vs Colorado on Sunday, they can skate and score. Looking forward to seeing this youth vs experience battle.

Then Manny comes back to town with the Canes, should get a great reception but hopefully another loss.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:59 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Guess we'll see if the Avs have finally turned the corner on the Canucks. Vancouver has basically owned 'em the last few seasons, and they still appear vulnerable against rough-and-tumble teams.

Don't know if you want this here or elsewhere, I'll defer to your wishes, but here is an analysis of the Canucks through 30. Might spur some debate.

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/12/4/the-va ... h-30-games

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:03 pm 

Uhm, how did you find a Canucks Army post before I did? Do you have a secret undisclosed crush on the team or do you really have the time to keep up to blogs on all 30 teams?

Anyways as always with them its a good read. The two most interesting quotes for me.

Quote:
Kevin Bieksa has had a Chris Higgins-esque bounceback campaign, after a litany of minor injuries really slowed him down last year. In one of the unlikeliest of events, he has formed a wildly successful partnership with newcomer Ryan Stanton. In 200 minutes of 5v5 play with the two of them on the ice, the Canucks have controlled 56.1% of all shot attempts, and 62.5% of all goals scored. Stanton has 10 points on the year, or as I like to call it 6 Fewer Points than Keith Ballard Had as a Canuck

which just reinforces my Stanton crush.
Quote:
As for Edler, he has been scrutinized heavily this year, and there have been question marks about his relationship with Tortorella.. yet he leads the team in ice-time by a fairly significant margin (24:03/game). He's also currently playing by far the toughest minutes of his career, which people seem to conveniently leave out of the discussion when wonder where his offense has went. You'd like to see more from him, certainly, but for whatever reason people seem to be wearing drunk goggles when evaluating his play. They're as irrational about him as I am about Garrison, just in the opposite way.

Didn't realize this, makes me wonder if I've allowed my own negative bias to creep in about him and now just focus on his mistakes. It's good to have objective metrics to remind me not to be a twit.

And my big reason for hope for serious improvement for the team is the PP, they've been okay without it, and it can't possibly stay that bad with the talent they have with the metrics they have.

Quote:
They're showing signs of life these days. The Canucks have now scored in 6 straight games with the man advantage, and are drawing penalties more frequently. Plus, they're 2nd - only behind the Sharks, whose PP dominance we're all too familiar with - in fenwick for/60, and actually lead the league in shots on goals/60, so there's reason to believe that they'll continue to make their way up towards an at least respectable conversion rate.

And this is pretty affirming of what I think of the team and why I felt Jyrki was wrong to consider them middle of the pack.

Quote:
Robert P from Jewels From The Crown (an LA Kings blog) had the following to say in his Pacific Division review from a few days ago:

Quote:
I think the Canucks will be a team the Kings will need to worry a lot more about as the season goes on. Their ability to drive play is starting to take off, but their down-trending percentages have made them look a little worse than they really are. Look for the division title to end up being a dog fight between the Sharks, Canucks and Kings.

He's right. Personally, I'd say that the Canucks are the 5th best team in the Western Conference at the moment. I'd have them behind the Blackhawks, Sharks, Blues, and Kings, but over the others. They currently sit 7th in the league in Fenwick Close % (controlling 52.8% of all unblocked shot attempts with the game up for grabs), whereas a team like the Avs are down at 49%, and the Coyotes at 48.3%. As Daniel Wagner astutely pointed out yesterday, they've got some similarities to the 2011-12 Los Angeles Kings in them, though they'll need to hit a home run with a trade in the coming weeks/months.

The Nucks are no longer elite but despite their points total should be considered in the 2nd tier behind SJ, Chi, LA and Pens.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:13 pm 

Well hopefully a little roast turnip tonight but I don't expect another 8 goal blowout as the Av's goal tending has been excellent this year and it's a very good thing because the D men in front of them are pretty friggin horrible.

Canuck's power play is on a 7 game goal streak, and they've moved from worst in the league 5v4 GF/60 to 26th. However that should continue to improve as they are still 2nd in 5v4 SF/60. Get another one tonight and I think we win it, it's not that simple but I like simple so I'm going to claim it as so!

Torts vs Roy, the two coaches you'd most like to play poker with.

Edler out and some guy name Schroeder is apparently hurt. Av's pretty healthy except for their missing defensive corps.

Not a need to win but sure would be good as right now the Av's are one of the few teams they are seriously competing with for the wild card spot.. 4-2 Nucks,

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:34 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Fogghorn wrote:
healthy Booth (not so much)

I'm so conflicted on this guy. One minute - trade the broken nut. Next minute - whoa he looks like he's on track to make some noise.

Here's a good article that some of the change is likely due to a new skating coach: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Skating+coach+epiphany+Booth/9247781/story.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:20 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Santorelli draws 1st blood

1-0 Nucks :viking:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:13 am 

7 seconds left and Luo looses the shut out. :fffffuck:

And Andrew Alberts gets past the 7 minute mark on day the coach says "his play scares me" :golfclap:

Got to admit that I'm becoming a pretty big Tortorella fan. Still waiting to see the old Torts emerge though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:09 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Canes - Game On!

Will Santorelli have another great night?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:32 am 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Eddie with the SO! :viking:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:08 am 

Captain Chaos wrote:
Eddie with the SO! :viking:

His first game at home and first SO, liking the kid, ideal backup. And Tanev gets his 2nd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:44 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Fogghorn wrote:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/consol ... s-whatsnew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:05 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/consol ... s-whatsnew

After the game media scrum.

Media, "Luo why do you think Patrick pulled the goalie with 5 minutes left?"

Lou, "Well I guess he really wanted the win or just wanted to make sure I don't pass him in shutouts."

Media, informs Patty of Lou's comments

Patty, "laughs, he'll pass me no doubt but he may have a problem catching me in wins."

;)