OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:13 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-o ... he-canucks

I'm curious to hear what Canucks Nation thinks of this. Personally I'm a bit surprised, but I think it's the right move.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:19 am 

Av-merican wrote:
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/22871514/pavel-bures-no-10-to-be-retired-by-the-canucks

I'm curious to hear what Canucks Nation thinks of this. Personally I'm a bit surprised, but I think it's the right move.

Way overdue, imo he's the only superstar player the Canuck's have ever had. (how bad is a team that in 40 years they've had one hall of famer)

He played during the dead puck era yet is still number 3 in goals per game (can you name the two players ahead of him?) and if he deserves the HHoF he certainly deserves to hang with Smyl, Linden and Naslund. Adjectives simply fail to describe how amazing he was to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:49 am 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/22871514/pavel-bures-no-10-to-be-retired-by-the-canucks

Way overdue, imo he's the only superstar player the Canuck's have ever had. (how bad is a team that in 40 years they've had one hall of famer)

He played during the dead puck era yet is still number 3 in goals per game (can you name the two players ahead of him?) and if he deserves the HHoF he certainly deserves to hang with Smyl, Linden and Naslund. Adjectives simply fail to describe how amazing he was to watch.

Which years are you talking about for the dead puck era? I would guess Jagr for one.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:53 am 

Bosc wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Which years are you talking about for the dead puck era? I would guess Jagr for one.

He's number three all time, and Jagr is not one of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:48 pm 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

He's number three all time, and Jagr is not one of them.

Oh shit you mean GPG all time, not specifically during the dead puck era. I was thinking he'd easily be first during the dead puck era.

Bossy has to be one of them. The other...Mario?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:55 pm 
OTP Historian

Yup, it's Bossy, Cy Denneny, Mario, Babe Dye and then Bure. Ovechkin is right there but we'll see if he can sustain that pace.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:12 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Yup, it's Bossy, Cy Denneny, Mario, Babe Dye and then Bure. Ovechkin is right there but we'll see if he can sustain that pace.

you got it, I should have qualified it as being during the modern hockey era. His feat was all the more remarkable in that he never had a Trottier, Jenny, or Oates to feed him. If he'd ever had a quality play making centre who knows how many he might have had. His goals were so often self created and all the more spectacular for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:17 pm 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
Bosc wrote:

you got it, I should have qualified it as being during the modern hockey era. His feat was all the more remarkable in that he never had a Trottier, Jenny, or Oates to feed him. If he'd ever had a quality play making centre who knows how many he might have had. His goals were so often self created and all the more spectacular for it.

When you started ringing off centers, I thought of the point that Bure created so many of his own goals. A center may not have increased his production all that much, a la Gaborik.

Bossy tends to get underrated because of playing with Trottier. He scored a lot with him, but he scored a lot without him too.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/NYI/1985.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:28 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Best player to ever don a Canuck's jersey hands down. Only forward to come remotely close in terms of talent would have been Naslund, but still a pretty big gap.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:21 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Logical Progression wrote:
Best player to ever don a Canuck's jersey hands down. Only forward to come remotely close in terms of talent would have been Naslund, but still a pretty big gap.

Pretty sure Messier is the best player to ever don a Canucks jersey. :eng101: :P

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:00 pm 
Old Man of the Post

saskhab wrote:
Logical Progression wrote:

Pretty sure Messier is the best player to ever don a Canucks jersey. :eng101: :P

In his mind, perhaps.

But I would agree that Bure is the most talented pure goal scorer this team has ever had.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:52 am 

Closing in on Pavel's retirement, time to celebrate. One of my favorite plays by him and it wasn't a goal but it was perfection.

If it happened today I'd think he would deserve a pretty hefty suspension but at the time it was just payback for the amount of abuse he'd be taking through that series. Really thought it was a thing of beauty, interesting how perspective changes over time, at the time I actually found this pretty amusing, especially Churla whining about it after, now it just looks so dangerous.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:36 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Last night the two best outfits were worn by Pavel's wife and Gino Odjick.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:20 pm 

90seconds of Bure bliss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:46 am 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

nice :viking:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:00 am 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
90seconds of Bure bliss

1:29 is that Billy Ranford? That's some sweet goaltending style right there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:04 am 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

such sweet sweet hands.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:20 am 
No Longer Croozin'

Was at the game and the ceremony was very cool,Before the ceremony during the warm-up every canuck player was wearing a # 10 jersey,I got some decent pics but not quite sure how to put them on this site
:cheers: