OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What Now? The Roster
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:20 pm 

Thomas Drance uses advanced stats to walk over all those who feel the Sedin's are in decline. Of course I don't expect cognizant arguments supported by evidence to make any difference to their long line of detractors.

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/5/10/the-ca ... in-decline

Post subject: Re: What Now? The Roster
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:40 pm 

Have been seeing a lot of yakking about the possibility of trading Edler prior to July 1st when his NTC kicks in with the new contract. Speculation is with Phili for Sean Couturier or Anaheim for Bobby Ryan. Jason Botchford does a good job of discussing all angles of such a trade http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Size+matters+always+answer/8372843/story.html including the impact it would have on future contract talks with Canucks players since Edler signed on for less to stay with Vancouver then he would have received on the free agent market.

Bobby Ryan seems like a bit of a reach to me for Edler but Botchford points out that Johnson was traded for Carter, Goligoski for Neal and Erik Johnson for Stewart/Shattenkirk and he has a point that Edler is better than any of those Dmen so perhaps Ryan is not as much of a stretch as I think. However I don't think Dallas really expected Neal to turn into the force he has become either so it may not be that comparable.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:53 pm 

David Booth gets just shredded by his brothers on Twitter, pretty funny

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/05/30/david-booth-tries-to-manufacture-a-little-luck-gets-zinged-by-his-brothers/

and oh yea, Tom Sestito gets signed to a new contract. It gets worse, its for two years, and worse as its a one way deal. What this guy did to earn 2 years and a one way deal is beyond me. To think we could have had Volpatti instead, a guy who can skate and win a fight, neither of which Sestito has yet to do.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:07 pm 

Canucks officially signed Joacim Eriksosn this morning. sounds like a very strong prospect with the potential to challenge Lack for the backup spot on the team this season.

Quote:
Last season he continued his stellar play with a .931 SV% and 1.67 GAA, then followed it up with an unreal performance in the playoffs, posting a .952 SV% and 1.06 GAA in 10 games.

His dominant performance in a very tough league at such a young age is remarkable and seems to indicate that he could be very successful in the NHL. For example, at the same age, Henrik Lundqvist put up very similar numbers in the Swedish Elite League: a .936 SV% and 1.79 GAA, then a .961 SV% and 1.05 GAA in the playoffs.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/06/15/report-canucks-sign-swedish-goalie-joacim-eriksson/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:54 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Why not? The Nucks have proven they know how to handle a goaltending controversy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:45 am 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Av-merican wrote:
Why not? The Nucks have proven they know how to handle a goaltending controversy.

You see a lot of "another goalie?!" reaction on the Interwebs, but it actually makes a lot of sense -- he could very realistically be the backup this upcoming season. Presumably Luongo is gone, and Eddie Läck is coming off a pretty serious injury. Eriksson's Swedish numbers appear to put him easily on par with any one-year backup rental they might otherwise have to seek in a trade, and he could be even better, as we're seeing more and more goalies step in seamlessly from Europe.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:22 am 

Gillis is leaving no stone unturned...Dreger now says Edler is available.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:27 am 

Av-merican wrote:

Big mistake if true. Edler was worth another million as a UFA but signed for less to stay in Vancouver. He was given a verbal commitment to be kept. If Gillis does this no player or more importantly agent is going to trust him in the future and no more home town discounts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:56 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Big mistake if true. Edler was worth another million as a UFA but signed for less to stay in Vancouver. He was given a verbal commitment to be kept. If Gillis does this no player or more importantly agent is going to trust him in the future and no more home town discounts.

Call it the Flyers Philosophy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:39 pm 

Holy shit...did not see that one coming.

What kind of player does Horvat project to be?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:43 pm 

Av-merican wrote:

3rd line, sand paper kind of guy........ :fffffuck:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:50 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

THAT kind of player was taken 9th overall!?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:01 pm 
King of Men

No wonder Butch is having a good time. That's kind of dumb. At least that goaltending distraction is over with. That doesn't bring back the years though.

Hopefully it works out for you folks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:16 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
No wonder Butch is having a good time. That's kind of dumb. At least that goaltending distraction is over with. That doesn't bring back the years though.

Hopefully it works out for you folks.

thanks for the kind thoughts Harm, still trying to digest this. It's a team with a very, very limited opportunity to get a cup. This does not help in the least. We could have traded Schneider any time in the last three years for a player that could help with that goal and instead do this and do it now????? :fffffuck: :fffffuck:

I've been rather ambivalent about Gillis for awhile now. Now its time for him to go, although I have to admit I think ownership is meddling with his decisions far more than we previously thought so it's not all on him.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:20 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

If they had at least gone with Nichushkin, a high risk player for sure but one with tremendous upside and a chance to make the team next year I would have been somewhat mollified.

Oh well, fans are often disappointed with draft picks in this range and change their minds after with a bit of perspective, hopefully this sits better with me by training camp.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:24 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

If they had at least gone with Nichushkin, a high risk player for sure but one with tremendous upside and a chance to make the team next year I would have been somewhat mollified.

Oh well, fans are often disappointed with draft picks in this range and change their minds after with a bit of perspective, hopefully this sits better with me by training camp.

Canucks Army just pointed out that Semyon Varlamov was 1st and 2nd, this guy was worth more than Schneider? :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:04 am 

Weird...Shinkaruk was projected to go much earlier, so they got the more highly-touted prospect with the much-lower pick. That will either comfort or further befuddle Canucks Nation.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:26 am 

Av-merican wrote:
Weird...Shinkaruk was projected to go much earlier, so they got the more highly-touted prospect with the much-lower pick. That will either comfort or further befuddle Canucks Nation.

Both Cassels (85th) and Jordan Subban (115th) were ranked as low as mid 50's so it seems we did get some nice picks and Shinkaruk seems like a steal.

I'm feeling a bit better about Horvat as well, the guy he gets compared to is O'Reilly, nearly flawless defensively, very difficult to play against with some offensive skills. Projects as sure 3rd liner with 2nd line potential depending on his offensive side. Our future Ryan Kesler. Still none of them are going to help us next year, but should be good for when we start the 2014-15 rebuild season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:03 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

It is now obvious ownership is meddling. Aquilini refused a buyout (even apparently flew to Florida to talk to Lu). If the rumors are true they won't even buy out Ballard -- whose losses they probably cover with, like, a preseason game) then we have a lot of reason to be worried in Canuckville. They can't hold onto Ballard and Booth and re-sign enough players even to complete the roster, let alone get better.

The rebuild is (sort of) on. It's just infuriating that that's all Schneider could yield. Note that I said all along he'd never get the king's ransom a lot of people assumed (goalies just aren't fungible assets), but having traded him at pretty much any other point would have yielded more. Can't believe they didn't at least get a prospect too.

Just a huge waste.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:30 pm 
Old Man of the Post

You know, it could have been FAR worse... Lou Lams could have flipped Schneider to Edmonton for far better than what Vancouver was offered... :eng101:

Anyway, perspective people.

This team has flamed out of the playoffs in the last two postseasons underperforming epically. Changes were need - no - DEMANDED. This after going to Game 7 of the SCF in 2011.

Fine. So you dump the most successful coach in franchise history. Done.

Then you find the best available coach to succeed him. Done. Personally, I think AV > Torts, but that's just my opinion. I can't really think of anyone else who is available and would be an upgrade on AV.

Then this fanbase demands to trade Luongo but for at least at least a top 2 RH defenceman, a decent backup and of course picks/prospects. Well, guess what? No one bites on that. And certainly no one wants Luongo when clearly Schneider is younger, cheaper, and better. Why settle for Luongo when Schneider is clearly the better goalie? It's a bitter pill and a very costly one, but clearly something had to give, and this was the best alternative out there. Could ownership have bought out Luo? Probably, but then we'd have nothing to show for that, and IMO, that would be a far worse outcome.

With Toronto getting Bernier, the trade market for Luongo/Schneider was getting smaller.

So now the Canucks acquired a pretty good two-way prospect in Horvat, and a kid with great offensive upside in Shinkaruk. With any luck, at least one of these guys crack the lineup within the next three years, and the other within the next five. They used their remaining picks instead of trading them and perhaps one or two of them can crack the bottom of the lineup. This team still has a good goalie and some young guys who can compete for the backup position in Utica. They still have the core of this team intact (save for Schneider) with which to build around.

It's not perfect but it'll do.

Am I unhappy that GMMG couldn't get more for Schneids? Sure, he might have received more from Edmonton, but at the cost of having to face the Oilers backstopped by Schneider six times a year? Why help your rival? Was their offer really that much better? We'll probably never know, but I'd rather send Schneids to the east.

For the record, I would have been ok trading Edler, too - I've lost my patience with him now. He might be better in a Wings uni. But the focus now shifts to perhaps buying out Ballard; I think Booth is still a good serviceable second line forward who gels with Kesler.

There can be only one (starting goalie)!