OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Lineup Thread*
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:47 pm 

Jyrki21 wrote:
I was actually about to mock the notion of someone picking up Volpatti, so joke's on me, I guess. He did yeomanly work for the team, but he's not exactly a difference-maker -- which is precisely why I thought he'd get through no problem. Ah well, it is a bit of a loss, and he was a hometown kid, so too bad for that.

While the market would be richer for Schneider, I still don't think it'd be as good as it once would have. There is such a ridiculous goalie glut in pro hockey right now -- the Canucks just played a string of games where they faced, in order, Leland Irving, Darcy Kuemper, Richard Bachman, Jake Allen, Ray Emery, and a guy called Nilstorp whose first name I don't actually know. Even though not all of them looked great, none of them were terrible (even while Irving got shelled he also kept his team in it for a while) and some -- Allen and Kuemper in particular -- looked out-and-out excellent. Gone are the days where playing your backup goalie (or in this case, third-stringer) is inviting a blowout loss. There are more NHL goalies out there than there are NHL goalie positions.

So while we bemoan the limited market for Luongo, is it actually much worse than the market for Schneider? Even with a more appealing contract, who will give up assets for a good goalie when every team already seems to have a couple lying around.

I also think that, hockey-wise, keeping Schneider still makes the most sense, even though the return on Luongo (if there is one) will be unimpressive (something that people have to accept some day: prices are not set by a commodity's inherent 'goodness', they are set by supply and demand). I think Schneider's feeling the heat a little bit and he's been outplayed by Luongo this season (no one performs better in any job when you have a legion of thousands micro-analyzing every tiny thing you do in an effort to decide whether they're making a mistake with you). But then when the shoe was on the other foot last year in a much larger sample size, he outplayed Luongo noticeably despite not getting a typical "backup" schedule. Plus he's younger, more athletic, and less banged up, etc.

I would agree that Volpatti is not a difference maker, however he seemed to me to be an upgrade in hockey skills to say Tanner Glass and pretty much anyone we've had in that role recently. Therefore pretty safe to assume other teams would feel the same. Oh well we'll get buy.

Regarding the goalie glut, I don't get it but I think that's a problem with my analysis more that yours. I perceive a top goalie to be equivalent in winning hockey games as much as say a 50 goal scorer. A save percent difference of .020 is about 40 goals a year. And I can think of a lot of playoff series won due to heroic efforts of a goalie, not that many where the credit is predominantly given to a forward or dman. But it seems based on salary and trade history that most teams agree with you about goalie value so you're probably correct and Schneider is not worth that much either.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:46 pm 
No Longer Croozin'

hmmm,I wonder if Nick Jensen is far behind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:58 pm 

Tuzer wrote:
hmmm,I wonder if Nick Jensen is far behind

Depends on whether his Swedish team makes the playoffs or not. If not then he's headed to the AHL and if he plays well there will be in the lineup for the Canucks probably by April.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:38 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Oh HELL YES.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=657968

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:44 pm 

Av-merican wrote:

:D how do you find the time to stay on top of everything you do? You running a streaming aggregator for every NAmerican professional franchise?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:26 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
:D how do you find the time to stay on top of everything you do? You running a streaming aggregator for every NAmerican professional franchise?

Twitter is my best friend. That and the fact I now have my very own office.

Those jerseys look AWESOME.

And I'm probably weird for saying this, but I don't see what the big deal is about white hockey pants. They laughed heartily at the Capitals when they wore them and I don't believe any team has dared try it since. White skates are a definite no-no, but white pants?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:00 am 

Love the sweater. makes me think of Lonnie Mack and Attack of the Killer V

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:57 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Av-merican wrote:
And I'm probably weird for saying this, but I don't see what the big deal is about white hockey pants. They laughed heartily at the Capitals when they wore them and I don't believe any team has dared try it since. White skates are a definite no-no, but white pants?

The Millionaires' color isn't really white, though... it's kind of a gold/cream color like the Wild use (it's actually a really nice accent color, but I don't know about pants...)

Like I've said before, the human brain is unable to separate the aesthetic from the symbolic. Everyone is going gaga over the Millionaire jerseys (and I like 'em too, although I much prefer a blue/green color scheme for the Pacific Northwest), but if an expansion team unveiled something that looked identical tomorrow, it would be ridiculed.

Anyway, anyone hear this thing about Ballard's name being removed in the dressing room? The Matt Sekeres tweet that mentioned it has been taken down, but it seems to have opened a bit of a can of worms. IIf a trade is in the works, it could explain why Vigneault would place Alberts and Barker ahead of him in the rotation. (If they're literally just rotating players, I completely applaud this strategy, although Ballard wouldn't be the guy I'd take out, and certainly not twice).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:00 pm 

Jyrki21 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

The Millionaires' color isn't really white, though... it's kind of a gold/cream color like the Wild use (it's actually a really nice accent color, but I don't know about pants...)

Anyway, anyone hear this thing about Ballard's name being removed in the dressing room? The Matt Sekeres tweet that mentioned it has been taken down, but it seems to have opened a bit of a can of worms. IIf a trade is in the works, it could explain why Vigneault would place Alberts and Barker ahead of him in the rotation. (If they're literally just rotating players, I completely applaud this strategy, although Ballard wouldn't be the guy I'd take out, and certainly not twice).

1. Aren't the pants silver?

2. Word on the radio this morning is Ballard's agent is seeking to speak to the Canuck's seeking clarification which the media says is just double speak for asking for a trade. If so I can't really blame him. He's been patient for two years and was having a really good year while playing on the left side, to find himself below Cam Barker is pretty raw. At the very least AV should have at least asked MG to trade him, press box just hurts what value he had started to reacquire this year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:24 pm 

Absolutely no logical reason to take out Ballard and replace him with a guy who shouldn't even be in the NHL.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:28 pm 

Schneider's "millionaires" mask. Pretty damn sweet

http://ingoalmag.com/news/canucks-schneider-gets-millionaires-retro-look/

And a nice write up on it from Thomas Drance

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/3/4/cory-schneider-goes-the-extra-mile-to-ensure-he-gets-the-start-in-marquee-game

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:06 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Av-merican wrote:
Absolutely no logical reason to take out Ballard and replace him with a guy who shouldn't even be in the NHL.

Agreed completely. http://canucksarmy.com/2013/3/4/free-keith-ballard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:46 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

A lot of info floating around about Ballard... on the one hand that his agent is getting more vocal and that he's meeting with management, on the other hand he was quoted as saying he understands, that he'd rather have a smaller role on a winning team than a bigger one on a poorer team, etc. One thing is certain -- the guy is all class, and I hope wherever he ends up he blossoms again. His treatment has admittedly started souring me on Vigneault for the first time since he got to Vancouver, both for the questionable prioritization of resources (I do not, for one, believe the lineup is stronger with him scratched) and inflexibility involved (even if Ballard doesn't fit "the system" as well, use his talents in the most useful way possible).

I read he is apparently playing tonight, though.

Pass it to Bulis tackled the question today, and while it was an insightful post, I still feel it was a bit too apologist. My response was the following:

Pass it to Bulis wrote:
If Vigneault didn’t like Ballard’s work in the defensive zone and Ballard wasn’t able to pass the puck out of the defensive zone, how can you blame him for making Ballard a healthy scratch?

J21 wrote:
(1) Because it’s only a single game; (2) Because no other defenseman is held to the same standard (as per Brent’s comment above) — Bieksa in particular, who the advanced stats say has been the weakest of the bunch this year, seems to be able to err with impunity; (3) because in spite of the soundbite, I don’t think anyone believes that either Alberts or Barker give the team a better chance to win, especially with how solid Ballard has been for the most part this year.

As I’ve stated before, I’m all for rotating players in and out of the lineup and wouldn’t have had a huge problem with Ballard sitting the one game for Alberts to get in some playing time. Why he then had to be scratched a second time when Bieksa was already hurt (and/or when someone else could have sat, including one of the more marquee guys on the second of back-to-back games with travel) is where it starts looking like Vigneault simply not liking the guy rather than evaluating his players objectively: quite un-Moneypuck.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:12 pm 

Wow...I read Vigneault is icing a third pairing of Alberts/Barker. Seriously? :toot: Is he just trying to prove to everyone his system is superior?

Very, very strange way to handle Ballard. Making him sit is just hurting his trade value.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:04 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Wow...I read Vigneault is icing a third pairing of Alberts/Barker. Seriously? :toot: Is he just trying to prove to everyone his system is superior?

Very, very strange way to handle Ballard. Making him sit is just hurting his trade value.

Ballard is out with a charley horse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:42 pm 

Fire up the trade rumo(u)rs!

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hocke ... story.html

I do feel like Gillis might be overplaying his hand a bit. The two-headed monster in goal situation just needs to be resolved.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/03/11 ... old-moves/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:55 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Fire up the trade rumo(u)rs!

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hocke ... story.html

I do feel like Gillis might be overplaying his hand a bit. The two-headed monster in goal situation just needs to be resolved.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/03/11 ... old-moves/

It's cap space that is the real hurdle for next year. Nucks have too much long term salary tied up and even clearing Luo off the books we still will possibly let both Higgins and Raymond walk away. Pretty certain one of them will walk and this with cutting Ballard. So yea we can do a rental if cheap enough but not much room for anything else unless its a truly major core shakeup.

I still think Schroeder can be our #3 centre, just don't like how AV used him last 10 games. We need a right side D depth guy as much as a centre.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:43 am 

My crystal ball says Barker in for Ballard next game after Ballard completely blew the 3rd Minny goal. Even Mr. Cool Tanev was giving him a wtf was that expression.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:48 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
My crystal ball says Barker in for Ballard next game after Ballard completely blew the 3rd Minny goal. Even Mr. Cool Tanev was giving him a wtf was that expression.

Good Lord, what'd he do? Did he try going to the bench when the opposition was breaking the other way?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:56 am 

Av-merican wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

Good Lord, what'd he do? Did he try going to the bench when the opposition was breaking the other way?

Turned a 2 on 2 for Minny into a 2 on 1 without even being polite enough to let Tanev know in advance. Basically went to check Cullen on open ice instead of easily tying him up and he missed. Cullen went by him and got the pass and plunk it's a goal.

The type of bone head play that drives AV nuts and is slowly sinking into the fanbase that AV knows more about Ballard than the rest of us (meaning especially me). Ballard = buyout no way around it. Think how bad you have to be to make Barker look okay.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next