OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Lineup Thread*
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:52 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Bieksa flying home today, starting to think his groin injury is more likely hip and he'll need surgery in the off season and they're just trying to manage it as much as possible through the playoffs. Injured he's still better than Tanev, Ballard etc but he's not going to be the playoff presence I'd hope for.

That can't be good... And they've been just awful in the 2nd and now 3rd period in Dallas...

From PITB

Quote:
In the absence of Kevin Bieksa (whose MVP case saw yet another boost as the Canucks moved to 1 shootout win and 8 losses without him), Cam Barker skated alongside of Alex Edler for the second straight game. He wasn’t terrible, except for the unfortunate moments when he totally was. On the Stars’ 2-1 goal , rather than taking his man, he took his bags and showed him to his room.

ouch, that's enough data on Bieksa's value it's starting to becoming statistically relevant, or better yet to borrow a line from the Province this morning.
Quote:
"Next time the Canucks are looking at defencemen and get to the Cam Barkers of the world, pick the right-handed guy who sucks"

Never would have thought that Sulzer would be a trade I'd regret although I guess with his injury the point is rather moot.

I was really worried that Vancouver signed Cam Barker... At the time, Vancouver also had Jim Vandermeer on contract - but later chose the younger Barker over Vandermeer - Is Barker the less worse option? Or is Barker just a better practice player than Vandermeer?

I thought the same, not sure what happened to Vandermeer. I would think he'd be getting called up as well now that the Wolves are out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:44 pm 

Looks like they are dropping Corrado onto the 2nd pairing with Edler. Really getting thrown in the deep end.

Been reading up on him, sounds like an outstanding prospect. Nice 2 way game, excellent skater, good hockey IQ, average size but plays physical.

Was first cut for the world junior team which surprised Bob McKenzie. http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2012/12/13/frank-corrado-gets-cut-from-team-canada/

And Thomas Drance did a really nice prospect review last summer http://canucksarmy.com/2012/8/23/prospect-profile-7-frank-corrado

So the issue is that he gets 5 games without burning a year off his entry level contract. We'll see how he works out. Smart to take a look with 3 regular games left. I hope he turns out to be the real deal but this seems so desperate and not a good sign for a team looking to go deep in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:17 pm 
Vegemite Enthusiast

sounds like he's having a great game so far, second most minutes in the first

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:58 am 
Old Man of the Post

Yeah, he definitely didn't look out of place, and he was on the ice in the last 90 seconds of a 3-1 game. Not sure if he was going on adrenaline but I would have thought the 'Hawks would have scouted that and put a ton of forecheck pressure on his side. From what I saw (3rd period), the 'Hawks came at them with speed and skill but the Canucks came right back at them. Saw a ton of chippy play (Toews two-handing Kesler after a hit; Keith with the tomahawk chop on Sedin during his breakaway goal - both going unpenalized :chris18: ) by the 'Hawks.

Where the hell has this team been over the previous 45 games? Is their 'system' so dependent on having at least two RH d-men? The strategy against Vancouver has been to try to hammer the Sedins into submission, but I would suggest that the way to get to them is to hit their right side d-men at every opportunity - it puts pressure on their youngest players (Tanev, if he gets back, Corrado - he with one game of NHL experience) and their out of position left-shooting d-men (Ballard, Garrison, Barker...)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:00 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/4/24/cory-s ... -called-up

Attachment:
schneids.PNG
schneids.PNG [ 24.58 KiB | Viewed 1847 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:03 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Brad Ziemer, in his Twitter feed wrote:
Schneider just spotted in hallway at Rogers Arena. Asked if he was okay, he said "I'm fine."

Let's hope it's a fairly minor injury that they are using to justify calling up Cannatta earlier than usual, allow Luongo some playing time (showcase?), rest Schneids, and keep us talking in this forum.

I'm encouraged by this:
Dan Murphy, in his Twitter feed wrote:
Bieksa and Ballard skating w/team. Tanev not on the ice. F lines the same, Joslin taking Barker's spot on 3rd D pairing.

Tanev is apparently in a walking boot and is at least a week out before returning to the ice.

We could use a Twitter quote button next to the Youtube button for us lazy asses...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6