All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Will Loungo get traded at the Draft?
Yes 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
No 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
Yes in the offseason but not at the draft 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 12
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:43 pm 
Vegemite Enthusiast

Hard to get overly excited about picking 26th (although apparently that's where we picked up Cory. However there could be a lot of excitement at the draft afterall.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:50 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

They would get a better short term return on Cory.

I for one, believe they can still win a Cup with either goalie and frankly Schneider isn't proven yet -- Luongo is. The window is short for this team (1-2 seasons) and it's a risk either way. But the greater risk is committing to Schneider and dumping Luongo's contract for nothing and hoping Cory can get it done first or second time around as number 1 with little help in making this team better now.

Last edited by Logical Progression on Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:59 pm 
Vegemite Enthusiast

I suspect you're right about the return, but I've lost confidence in Lou and I think Management has as well, whether it's fair or not.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:31 am 

Haven't lost confidence in Lou myself, he was excellent last season and Schneider would bring a better return. But I can just imagine the fans screaming if Lou stays and Cory goes. The scrutiny on Luongo is already stupid, it will be far beyond that if Schneider is traded.

And I don't think Lou gets traded until after the season starts, once teams start realizing there goalies suck and they have to make a change. And the CBA is all sorted out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:18 am 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

Fogghorn wrote:
Haven't lost confidence in Lou myself, he was excellent last season and Schneider would bring a better return. But I can just imagine the fans screaming if Lou stays and Cory goes. The scrutiny on Luongo is already stupid, it will be far beyond that if Schneider is traded.

And I don't think Lou gets traded until after the season starts, once teams start realizing there goalies suck and they have to make a change. And the CBA is all sorted out.

yep

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:33 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

MrBumpNgrind wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

yep

agree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:03 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

The fans have a right to scream if Luongo stays and Cory gets dealt. One goalie is only getting better...the other is only getting worse. And like it or not, that contract is the big elephant in the room.

It isn't GMMG's fault he created this monster--dude was in an untenable situation. But it's a monster nonetheless, and he now has to do everything possible to slay it.

I'm going to assume that Columbus was one of the team's reportedly interested in Luongo, and decided instead to acquire Bob on draft day.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:55 pm 

Darren Dreger tweets the Panthros are interested in bringing Bobby Lou back. George Richards tweets that as of yesterday the Panthos claim they haven't talked to the Canucks, but would definitely listen. Speculation is that if a FLA/VAN deal went down that Gillis will have to eat a salary in return. It'd be funny if the deal ended up sending Jovanovski from Florida to Vancouver again.

Personally I think Tallon would have to be NUTS to even consider trading for Luongo, so this is a definite possibility.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:10 am 

I wonder if Luongo would veto a trade to Toronto -- I still think he will land in or near Florida unless the Leafs sell the farm for him.
The Leafs have the biggest need to make the playoffs next year and trading for a veteran goal is MG's best chance to get a big return.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:38 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

i cant totally see GMMG trading him to Chicago just as a giant FUCK YOU to burky

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:48 pm 

MrBumpNgrind wrote:
i cant totally see GMMG trading him to Chicago just as a giant FUCK YOU to burky

Wouldn't that be a much, MUCH bigger FUCK YOU to the Canucks themselves to trade a viable goaltender to their archrivals?

My prediction: Burke sits and waits to see if things between the Jets and Pavelec reach an impasse, and if they do he sends them Reimer as part of a package for his rights. If that happens, Gillis will be in a bit of a pickle.

I seriously doubt it happens, but Edmonton needs a goalie badly, and they obviously have the extra pieces to make a trade worthwhile.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:07 am 

Av-merican wrote:
My prediction: Burke sits and waits to see if things between the Jets and Pavelec reach an impasse, and if they do he sends them Reimer as part of a package for his rights. If that happens, Gillis will be in a bit of a pickle.
I know my opinion is in the minority, but I can easily see Gilles doing nothing and being fine starting the season with both goalies. He's stubborn and has stated many times that he will not trade Lou just as a salary dump for long term salary cap relief. He will make a "hockey trade" involving Luongo if trading him will make the team better now. If not, Gilles is perfectly happy starting next season with the luxury of knowing that they will get great goaltending every night.

To be fair, they were arguably the best two players on the roster last year. People seem to forget that Lou basically won hockey games several times singlehandedly last season. The Canucks went into stretches after that Boston game where they had no measure of a team identity anymore. All of this talk of how they made a 'statement in their future' by starting Cory in games 4 and 5 in round one of the playoffs and how they burned a bridge with Lou is way overblown by the media. AV has final say over game time roster decisions, and Cory didn't get it done either. The organization and Gilles have never publically critisized Luongo or added fuel to any speculation that they are trying to move him. A deal of this complexity and timing could take until Chirstmas or beyond -- and the last thing Gilles wants is to to go from a position of strength to vulnerability between the pipes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:21 am 

Gillis can make a "hockey trade" with Schneider, not Luongo. That's not to say he can't get any value. Of course he can, but he shouldn't be holding out for too much here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:49 am 

Agreed -- but I think what this weekend had highlighted with respect to each goaltending situation, is the comparative amount of pressure each club is under to deal with their issues in the crease. It would appear from the interviews that Burkies stance is clear -- Gilles is asking far too much and he's not in a position to compromise their future and organizational depth to solidify their goaltending. Gilles is asking more than he should knowing that Burke needs to make the playoffs next year otherwise he's a goner.
The question is: who is under greater pressure? The Leafs making the playoffs next year or the Canucks solidifying their direction as a club for their # 1 netminder?

In other words, Gilles is likely trying to solidify their future drafting positions by pressurizing the ask knowing that Burkes needs are greater.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:55 am 
King of the One-Liner

Burke has started talking up Reimer with a loving glint in his eye again since the draft. I think he is dropped out of the Luongo bidding. Which likely means nothing as I thing Luongo is in the back ground trying to force the Florida option and may not okay the Leafs even if they where to agree on a package.

I've said it before but the fear of going with both guys is the closer Schneider gets to UFA he may start to get a urge to see what the open market will do.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:09 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Burke has started talking up Reimer with a loving glint in his eye again since the draft. I think he is dropped out of the Luongo bidding. Which likely means nothing as I thing Luongo is in the back ground trying to force the Florida option and may not okay the Leafs even if they where to agree on a package.

I've said it before but the fear of going with both guys is the closer Schneider gets to UFA he may start to get a urge to see what the open market will do.

In that case we trade Schneider. Won't worry me to go with Lou. Both are top 10 goalies in the league. And personally I think Lou would love to go to Toronto, what's not to like, crazy market with low expectations. If he takes him to the 2nd round of the playoffs he becomes an instant hero.

As for Burke I think he is posturing. He needs to make the playoffs next year and Lou can do that for him, Reimer can't.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:19 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Av-merican wrote:
Darren Dreger tweets the Panthros are interested in bringing Bobby Lou back. George Richards tweets that as of yesterday the Panthos claim they haven't talked to the Canucks, but would definitely listen. Speculation is that if a FLA/VAN deal went down that Gillis will have to eat a salary in return. It'd be funny if the deal ended up sending Jovanovski from Florida to Vancouver again.

Personally I think Tallon would have to be NUTS to even consider trading for Luongo, so this is a definite possibility.

Agreed, I don't get why FLA would want Luongo. People say Markstrom is the real deal and should be ready for primetime very soon. Why would they trade for Luongo rather than go with a Theo/Markstrom combo and see what they've got?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:27 pm 

hammer wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Agreed, I don't get why FLA would want Luongo. People say Markstrom is the real deal and should be ready for primetime very soon. Why would they trade for Luongo rather than go with a Theo/Markstrom combo and see what they've got?

No, it's not logical (not completely), especially given that Markstrom could be something great for years to come. But bottom line, he'd be a big draw for a team that's had a real problem doing that in the past. It'd still be batshit crazy to do, but I at least see some logic in doing so.

Personally I don't think Gillis has any option left but to trade Luongo. He knew he'd be effectively alienating Luongo if he made him available, and there's no going back IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:56 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Fogghorn wrote:
As for Burke I think he is posturing. He needs to make the playoffs next year and Lou can do that for him, Reimer can't.

He may be but given his history of falling in love with the wrong goalies I still think there is a really good chance the leafs have a Reimer/Scrivens goalie combo to start the season.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:16 pm 
OTP Historian

Luongo/Markstrom...That'd be the goaltending version of Peter Forsberg/Claude Lemieux.