OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:03 am 
Old Man of the Post

On the bright side, the Injury Thread no longer has its semi-permanent resident... But for now, this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:44 pm 
Old Man of the Post

...And in other news, the Cunticles get Pinizotto and Ebbett for another year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:29 am 
Old Man of the Post

Meet your shiny new, Mr. Hat (thanks, Butch!), No. 52, Jason Garrison: Let the hyperbole and unreasonable expectations set in...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:21 pm 

Now that the Parise/Suter Minny dust has settled, it seems like the rabid fools at CDC (this one included) are waiting to hear what will happen with Doan. I'm personally of the thinking that he'll stay in the West IF he leaves the desert.

The Dogs' distaste for the LA Kings aside, I can see Doan in Canucks blue, in Edmonton, or LA. With LA and Van he has a solid shot at a deep run in the playoffs (dare I say all the way?), but in the unlikely event that he opts for the tar sands I can see him taking a leadership role with the kids' table, buying cigarettes and Four Loko for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:43 pm 
Old Man of the Post

NuckinNYC wrote:
Now that the Parise/Suter Minny dust has settled, it seems like the rabid fools at CDC (this one included) are waiting to hear what will happen with Doan. I'm personally of the thinking that he'll stay in the West IF he leaves the desert.

The Dogs' distaste for the LA Kings aside, I can see Doan in Canucks blue, in Edmonton, or LA. With LA and Van he has a solid shot at a deep run in the playoffs (dare I say all the way?), but in the unlikely event that he opts for the tar sands I can see him taking a leadership role with the kids' table, buying cigarettes and Four Loko for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

Thoughts?

Heard the WIngs are going to go hard after Doan.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:11 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

are the wings the power of the west anymore? If hes looking to win a cup with a western conference team. LA and Vancouver would probably be the top choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:23 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Just read that Mason Raymond is around for another year at $2.275M... Better the devil you know, I suppose... Also, per NuckinNY, apparently, Vancouver is on Doan's list of approved destinations...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:26 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Doan would be a fantastic addition. He'd even be able to fill in at center until Kesler's ready.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:59 pm 
Old Man of the Post

GMMG could do it I suppose; if Doan would accept say, $4m per (his last contract was for a $4.55m per, cap hit so perhaps not), it might look like this... As Av suggested, Doan could take the #2C spot in Kesler's absence, and the should save enough due to Kesler's LTIR status to get in under the cap... That means they could trade Luongo for some defensive depth, bring up Lack and groom him to be Schneider's understudy. Still, it wouldn't be the end of the world to start the season with a Luongo / Schneider tandem. I'd be a little uncomfortable with the lack of defensive depth - I mean after AnAl, it's Connauton and Sauve, then...?

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Shane Doan ($4.000m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Mason Raymond ($2.275m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /

GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,153,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster):- $953,333

I'm looking forward to seeing if Jensen will get another good look this year - he almost made it last year. Having Doan in the locker room to mentor him wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:35 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

I'm concerned with Schneider's experience and his learning curve being THE starting goaltender -- the Canucks have a small window here, like 1 or 2 years.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:18 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Logical Progression wrote:
I'm concerned with Schneider's experience and his learning curve being THE starting goaltender -- the Canucks have a small window here, like 1 or 2 years.

Doesn't matter. I can almost guarantee that a Luongo/Schneider tandem will NOT win you the Stanley Cup. You can't go into next season with both guys vying for the starting role. And given RL's comments of late, he wants to GTFO, and soon. It's Schneider or it's nobody at this point, and really, if the team can get healthy again there's no reason to think they can't make it to the Finals again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:24 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Theodore is expected back in return from Florida if that is indeed the trading partner.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:39 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Theodore is expected back in return from Florida if that is indeed the trading partner.

Theodore has a NTC, although he would probably waive it to go to a contender like the Canucks.

It would be great to have Doan on the Canucks. I think he's look looking to see if the new owners are approved in the desert. His 1st choice is still Phoenix. Moving Luongo somewhere will likely need to happen before the Canucks will take on another $4.5M+ player salary, especially if they add depth on D. We'll see how patient GMMG really is to make that "real hockey deal".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:06 am 
OTPoliceman

Hey everyone, a VHF sighting! How's Alex doing?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:46 am 
Old Man of the Post

Great to see you back, Alex... :beer:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:53 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

On HFBoards someone had mentioned that Theodore doesn't want to waive his NTC? I don't know if that's in general, or to go to Vancouver, or what. (I guess it would mean losing his starting gig).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:45 pm 

VHF wrote:
Theodore has a NTC, although he would probably waive it to go to a contender like the Canucks.

It would be great to have Doan on the Canucks. I think he's look looking to see if the new owners are approved in the desert. His 1st choice is still Phoenix. Moving Luongo somewhere will likely need to happen before the Canucks will take on another $4.5M+ player salary, especially if they add depth on D. We'll see how patient GMMG really is to make that "real hockey deal".

it's hard to see jose theodore playing 2nd fiddle to schneids, and i'd say it's a huge gamble to slot Lack in for when we eventually jettison bobby lu (which i, along with any other canucklehead with a functioning brain cell will be mourning for years to come) to TO. but if doan signs onto the nucks, what goalie wouldn't want to be a part of arguably the best roster in hockey?

the other option is that we send luo to chicago and get back bolland and picks, but @#$!, it's tough to picture the rat in an orca jersey. he's a great player and i respect him as a canuck killer, but damnnnn... :zoid:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:11 am 

Thanks for the return welcome tCL and the Perfect One! It's great to see all of the longtime members still around from the 1st Gen OTP! :mulletbutch: I've still been lurking here and there on OTP in the last few years, but I think I'll be more active posting moving forward. While I've been less active interacting on the internet, I've still been very active following hockey and participating in multiple hockey pools. I'm doing well in general and looking at coming out of "semi-retirement". :shock:

Back on topic, IF Loungo is moved to the Panthers, Theodore would become the backup, so resisting waiving the NTC won't keep him a starter anyway. He'd probably get more playing time as Schneider's backup than Luongo's.

There's a lot of talk and media fueled speculation in Vancouver about the possibility of Doan coming to Vancouver. While this is, from a fan perspective, intriguing and exciting, odds are that he will still remain a Coyote.

I do think that Doan is really a perfect fit for the Canucks. I just hope that he feels the same way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:44 am 
Old Man of the Post

From the sounds of it, in after Phoenix, about a dozen teams are lined up ready to back the Brinks truck to Doan's house, and about half of those have way more cap space to acquire him than Vancouver does. Also, at his age, why should Doan accept a 'home-province' discount if it means that he must also move away from the only home he's had in his professional career? When Detroit can offer up $6M for more years? It's wishful thinking, IMO. I'm guessing that the moment he commits, GMMG has a Plan B ready to go and get another good third line C option that will be more affordable (Brule?), just as he had a Plan B for the Schultz sweepstakes...
... Unfortunately, Garrison cost Van a lot more but is at least ready to take on Top 4 minutes on a good club.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:47 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

VHF wrote:
Back on topic, IF Loungo is moved to the Panthers, Theodore would become the backup, so resisting waiving the NTC won't keep him a starter anyway. He'd probably get more playing time as Schneider's backup than Luongo's.

I guess I was thinking that by not waiving, he was essentially doing his best to torpedo a Luongo trade to Florida, but I guess your point is taken that the trade could still take place without him involved in it. I guess if that does happen, he would likely choose to waive to go somewhere else entirely.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next