OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:23 pm 

I didn't like the OEL buyout, I think its going to hurt them down the road, and this club always seems ready to pass the buck to the future. However I have to admit they have completely revamped their defence in a huge way. With the addition of Hronek, Cole, Soucy this is a very different team. If Demko stays healthy I actually think they are a pretty serious playoff contender.

Hirose looked like a young Chris Tanev last year. Rookie from the NCAA and chiller than the ice he skates. McWard, Juulsen also seem promising to push for that #7 dman spot. The farm depth is not quite ready, but its coming.

They are well loaded at forwards. Too loaded actually. One of Boeser, Garland, Beuvillier or Hoglander will need to be moved. The first three are going to have to be given away pretty cheap as there are still cap issues around the league and those with the cap space will only give it up for a premium exchange. But this is a solvable problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:32 pm 
Big in Japan

I believed in Demko before last season, and sometimes goalies have up and down careers. Demko rebounding could be the difference between playoffs and no playoffs.

Calgary and Seattle could take steps back, and Vegas could have a Cup hangover. Plenty of room to slide back in the conversation.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:53 pm 

Demko had nagging injuries early and then 7 weeks off mid season. When he came back he was one of the best in the league and arguably the primary reason they went from 5th in the lottery to 11th. The last two months of the season was the real Demko, I have no concern there. With a better defence in front of him this year, his name should be in the conversation for Vezina.

----sheesh, look at me, all optimistic and plus positive today over the Canucks...........when was the last time I felt this way. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:03 pm 
Big in Japan

Jfresh has them 5th in the Pacific after Edmo, LV, Cgy, Sea. Could easily see them leapfrogging one of them.

The OEL thing is a bit like Suter/Parise. Crushed Minny capwise, but they were so convinced they were dragging the team down they felt they had to act. In Vancouver's estimation, OEL was clearly dragging down the defence, so I admire the guts to pull the trigger here. Teams don't ride out these contracts for a reason, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:22 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Jfresh has them 5th in the Pacific after Edmo, LV, Cgy, Sea. Could easily see them leapfrogging one of them.

The OEL thing is a bit like Suter/Parise. Crushed Minny capwise, but they were so convinced they were dragging the team down they felt they had to act. In Vancouver's estimation, OEL was clearly dragging down the defence, so I admire the guts to pull the trigger here. Teams don't ride out these contracts for a reason, I guess.

I'd like to think that it is always based on a sound business, team management decisions but I don't think so. Seems to me its mostly short term thinking as the GM seeks to keep his job. GM's always feel the heat to improve, that they have maybe a 2 - 3 year window to show that so they don't worry about planning 4-8 years out. Since the max contract is 8 years, they should be thinking that far ahead, and have an 8 year plan. This is where ownership needs to assure GM's they have a long term commitment, that they will be assessed over at least 5 years, and the ability to plan out 8 years and show the growth determined by the plan. Then they need to back it with long term contracts to the GM.

It's actually similar in the business world. CEO's have a few years to show shareholder's improvement or they get turfed, so they have a short term mindset that can be really detrimental in the long run (hello Boeing) but privately held companies usually have much longer viewpoints, and are able to plan better even if it means short term pain for bigger long term profits.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:28 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

I'm the most excited for the Canucks I have been in a long time. Also didn't like the OEL buyout but have come around on it. Still hoping they bring back Bear but not sure how likely it is. You forgot Pearson as a trade possibility too assuming he really is good, but I guess that's not likely to happen offseason after being hurt for so long. I like the free agency signings, at the very least they aren't going to hurt us like Benning's did

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:31 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

Nice to see Alvin fronting the media now too not Jim, not sure how much that means in terms of where the real decision making lies but I'm hopeful about that too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:35 am 

I did forget Pearson, and he is definitely one of the wingers that should be considered. They just have too many. I would have liked to see Bear come back as well. He did really well last year, and pretty shitty that he gets injured playing for Canada and finds himself out in the cold. However I don't see room for him anymore, unless they can trade Myers pretty quickly. They will have 3-4 dmen on the farm that all look to be capable of being a 6 or 7 dman in the NHL. Those young players need games in the NHL and adding Bear would just push them back even further.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:41 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Fogghorn wrote:
----sheesh, look at me, all optimistic and plus positive today over the Canucks...........when was the last time I felt this way. :D

I'm optimistic every summer! Seems every summer has been a freaking LOOOOOOONG summer these past 10 years...

Fogghorn wrote:
I did forget Pearson, and he is definitely one of the wingers that should be considered. They just have too many.

I'd love to see Pearson back but I'm guessing his footspeed these days pretty much relegates him to a 4th line role. The only players I see him potentially displacing are Podgolzin and Hoglander and only then because of his hockey IQ.

Fogghorn wrote:
I would have liked to see Bear come back as well. He did really well last year, and pretty shitty that he gets injured playing for Canada and finds himself out in the cold. However I don't see room for him anymore, unless they can trade Myers pretty quickly. They will have 3-4 dmen on the farm that all look to be capable of being a 6 or 7 dman in the NHL. Those young players need games in the NHL and adding Bear would just push them back even further.

I'm still hoping they can trade Myers - his signing bonus kicks in on September 1 - I'm certain the market for him will be better after that is paid. I'm hoping that Allvin re-signs Bear with the money he saves on Myers' contract.

It seems to me that Bear's scenario is precisely why Elias Petterson couldn't play for Team Sweden. The cost of insuring Petterson in the event of an injury (when everyone in Vancouver wants him to sign an extension) was so prohibitive that it wasn't deemed to be worth that risk. Guessing that Allvin, Rutherford & co. were pretty relieved about that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:02 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

I'm optimistic every summer! Seems every summer has been a freaking LOOOOOOONG summer these past 10 years...

I guess I'm just sorta fannish and not out and out fanatical about the Nucks as compared to others. They have not done anything to make me optimistic since about 2012. This year I can't wait for the prospects tourney, for camp, for pre-season etc. I can actually see them in 5th place for the conference next year. So not super optimistic I guess but still pretty high hopes compared to the last decade where I kept hoping they'd just commit to the tank.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:13 pm 
Big in Japan

Nucks sign Swiss centre Pius Suter to an affordable two year deal. Not offensive enough to be a top 6 centre, and not defensively strong enough to be a bottom 6, but he's a solid tweener.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:54 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Nucks sign Swiss centre Pius Suter to an affordable two year deal. Not offensive enough to be a top 6 centre, and not defensively strong enough to be a bottom 6, but he's a solid tweener.

He's been playing bottom 6 with Chicago and Detroit. Vancouver's winger depth is pretty strong and I'm assuming whomever he plays with here will improve his offensive game. However, I'm a fan again and prone to overly optimistic hopes, so large grain of salt with whatever I assume. The deal itself is very affordable if he can actually perform as a mediocre 3rd line centre.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:13 pm 

Taken from a question Elliot Friedman was asked about EP40 after he interviewed him in Stockholm.

Quote:
“The thing is, someone called me from out there and said, ‘Okay, what else did you get from his mood? Is there a reason to panic here? Like, is he pulling the door on the Canucks?’ No, I don’t believe that,” said Friedman. “I think that he knows his next contract is going to be a big one, wherever it is, and I don’t think he’s worried about that. I just think he wants to make sure that he feels everything is going in the right direction. And I got the sense that he is confident in what they have. He just wants to see the results. And as long as the Canucks do, what he believes and what they’re selling him they can do. I don’t think this is going to be an issue. They know they’re going to have to pay him. I think they are prepared to pay them. They’re prepared to pay him long-term. I think the guy just wants to win and he wants to make sure that it’s going to be there.”

"I just think he wants to make sure that he feels everything is going in the right direction."

When I see info like that it makes me really nervous. We have to go back to the Gillis era since I've felt confident the club was "going in the right direction". I do think things are looking better than they have in a long time, but a couple injuries or players underperforming and this team is looking at the draft lottery again. Their defense is better, but not really deep enough to handle a loss to Hughes or Hronek. A lot riding on those two players. I don't blame Pettersson, I would want a chance at a cup as well. He should take his time to decide so a lot riding on this season.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:08 pm 
Big in Japan

Quinn Hughes named captain of the Canucks. How we feeling about that?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:55 pm 

E.L. wrote:

I probably would have gone with a rotation of Miller, Hughes and EP40 for the year. I'm more inclined to think of EP40 as the leader of the team but management knows what goes on in the dressing room and practice more than I, so I'll have to assume they've made the best call.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:16 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:

Much better than Horvat, that's for sure. And they gave it to a guy who called out the organization's mishandling of a teammate's injury to boot.

Funny how many times this organization has fucked up the simple application of a C-shaped patch on the jersey. Shouldn't be that hard to figure out, yet...

Anyway, I feel like not giving it to Pettersson might speak to the organization not being exactly bullish on him sticking around long-term, but maybe I'm just reading too much into that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:42 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

I'm good with it. Dude's on the ice more then anybody else anyway. Petey didn't seem to want it very much when he was asked about it and I never really got the whole your superstar needs to be your Captain thing anyway. I get your point Av, I just don't want to think too hard about it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:22 pm 

Can't help but like Kuzmenko.

Quote:
He met with Sportsnet's Iain MacIntyre to talk about the changes he adopted and his personal objectives, in in garbled English:

''Last season was so bad for me, my weight. Now, I lose weight. Last summer, I (ate) a lot of waffles. Waffles are not good for me. I like, but (they're) not good for me. This summer, rules for me: no chocolate, no Nutella, no ice cream in my freezer. You want ice cream, then go to the market. But I stay home''

Apparently 10 lbs lighter this year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:04 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs and Nucks team up for a deal:

G Casey DeSmith to VAN with F Tanner Pearson and a 3rd rounder going the other way. No salary exchanged hands.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:26 pm 

This is a cap dump for the Nucks. I believe this now makes them compliant. Going to be kinda awkward situation in goal though. Silvov's and Martin seemed destined to compete for the backup role, with Martin the likely winner and Silvov's getting the bulk of the starts in the AHL this year which he needs for his development. Will he get that many starts now with Martin? And this means that Tolopio will have to be EHL bound which hurts his development as he won't get the care and attention he would in Abbottsford.

Still, this could have been worse. A lot of teams with cap issues, and very few that have extra room. I think future trades to make cap, are going to be more costly than this.

Sad to see Pearson go, he was a consummate team guy but glad it was an older player and not one of the younger players.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next