OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:07 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Really nice piece here about PutGoalsIn… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGBZjQj ... e=youtu.be

"If you have the puck, the Lion will find you and the Lion will get you..."

If he pans out as a complementary player, he'll be a very good pick up at #10; it sounds like Petterson and Boeser just got their Russian Alex Burrows... :Butch:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:30 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Good read here on Jett Woo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:22 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Been reading lots of good things about Vasilya Potslaybin, particularly at this recent 4 Nations tourney... He didn't rack up many points, but from what I've heard, that had less to do with his play, than the weak finishing ability of his linemates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nokZH4-Zkc4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:17 pm 
Big in Japan

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Vasilya Potslaybin

:shock:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:43 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

E.L. wrote:
Vasilya Potslaybin
:shock:
Smyl mangled pronunciation at the draft.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:26 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Logical Progression wrote:
Smyl mangled pronunciation at the draft.

Holy shit did he ever

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:01 pm 

Probably not a big deal yet, but Podkolzin might eventually regret chasing the money and signing with the KHL. Definitely not a developmental league, and I'm told the team he signed with is insanely deep.

Quote:
#KHL: RW Vasily Podkolzin (VAN 1st/2019) played only 30 seconds in SKA's 4-2 win over Sibir. It's his lowest TOI in his eight career KHL games, and he's now played 41 seconds or less in three of his four games in 2019-20.

SKA is 3-1-0 to start the season.

https://twitter.com/TheDraftAnalyst/sta ... 3183152131

The possible silver lining in this is that Vancouver fans may see him a year earlier than expected if this continues.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:02 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Yep, SKA is very, very deep, and the scuttlebutt is that he'll be sent down to their developmental (2nd division?) team for playing time. Russian coaches aren't too giving of ice time to 18 year olds, even one as physically-mature as Podklzin is...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:27 pm 

Nils Hoglander with a beauty assist today.

https://twitter.com/ChrisFaber39/status ... 1746682880

and

Quote:
Vasili Podkolzin found himself on SKA’s first line as he made his return from the Karjala Cup.

He made the most of his opportunity and had his second multi point game of the KHL season

he was dominant at the Karjala cup, hopefully he'll get minutes now in the KHL. He's played well but they've put him to 4th line, and demoted him this season. It seems like its more out of spite that he won't extend his contract than based on how he's been playing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:52 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I expect the Phlegms to sign them both as UFAs in July 2032... :chris18:

To add to that, saw this yesterday about 7th rounder Aidan McDonough. Still a stretch to make it to the show but encouraging nonetheless.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:42 pm 

A piece on Kole Lind and making the jump to the NHL. There was a brief bit about him going back to Utica which got me wondering. I've just been assuming that there is going to be a Canadian division in hockey this year and any Canadian team with an American farm team would move them back to Canada. How do you do call ups if you have to do a 2 week quarantine when you first get called up?

https://canucksarmy.com/2020/11/14/this ... p-canucks/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:33 pm 

Canucks army seems to believe Hoglander can earn a spot on the Nucks this year. Sounds positive.

https://canucksarmy.com/2020/11/19/nils ... ng-season/

Worth checking out their write on Rathbone as well. They rate him higher than either Juolevi or Rafferty. Which means there are 3 quality dmen in the system and close to cracking the lineup. Which is good cause they'll need all 3 to keep their salary cap in line.

https://canucksarmy.com/2020/11/18/jack ... ning-camp/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:03 pm 

and the #1 prospect is Podkolzin. CA considers him far and away their best prospect which is pretty strong stuff considering everyone thinks Hoglander can make the Nucks team this year and eventually play a 2nd line role.

So that means:

Within 2 years all of Podkolzin (top line), Hoglander (2nd line), Rathbone (1st pair future), Rafferty, Joulevi (2nd or 3rd pairing), DiPietro should be on the team. Kole Lind (bottom six) likely on the Nucks. Bit more iffy but still grade B prospects to make the team in 3 years are Aidan McDonough and Jett Woo. That's actually pretty deep farm pool by historic Canucks standards.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:38 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I can't recall if the Cannots have ever had this much quality depth coming up. I'm not as bullish on their d prospects - but I'd be thrilled if two of Rathbone, Juolevi or Rafferty play reasonably well enough that we forget we lost Stecher and Fantenburg.

Add to that is the rep they have is as a goalie development farm for the rest of the league - I read that somewhere that some people see Vancouver as a place that just keeps developing very good goalies. Much of that can be traced to Dan Cloutier's run as director of goalie development.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:00 pm 

Add to that is the rep they have is as a goalie development farm for the rest of the league - I read that somewhere that some people see Vancouver as a place that just keeps developing very good goalies. Much of that can be traced to Dan Cloutier's run as director of goalie development.

Not sure how much credit goes to Cloutier and how much goes to Ian Clark. Clark is really highly respected both within the organization and in the league. So much so that it is believed that Holtby's signing with the Canuck's was partially because of the opportunity to work with Clark and get himself back into top form and become the #1 for the Kraken.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:11 pm 

Holtby certainly knows what it's like to have shitty goaltending coaching.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:46 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Ian Clark is widely considered to be the best goaltending coach across the league, which is saying a lot when it comes from goalie insiders like Kevin Woodley.

It will be interesting to see how Markstrom fares without Clark mentoring him. His exacting drills, painstaking attention to detail and demanding practice requirements have more than coincidentally contributed to Markstrom's success over the past two years. He pushes his players that need to be pushed to their limits and beyond. Some like it, some don't, but very few have argued with his track record and results.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:32 pm 

When a team just keeps turning out good goalies that's a good sign that there's a good goalie coach in the house. That IMO should be where the major investment in goaltending should go--not in the goalies themselves.

I'd say Clark and Corey Schwab in Arizona are the two best in the league at present. Mitch Korn is obviously legendary but I don't believe he's gone upstairs and there's someone else doing the full-time goalie coaching duties in Long Island now. Allaire might still be in NY but I can't remember.

I would bet on Markstrom regressing a bit. The Flames will likely play better D in front of him than the Canucks did but I just don't think Markstrom's numbers are sustainable.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:50 pm 

Looks like Pod has got a concussion

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canu ... hl-3432451

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:07 pm 
Big in Japan

The Nucks are finally moving their AHL affiliate from Utica to Abbotsford. Utica is a loyal old school AHL city, but it didn't make much sense for the Nucks to have their farm team in Nowheresville, New York.

Don't cry for Utica, the Devils are shacking up with them. Binghamton, though, might be SOL.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next