OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:09 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Mallet and a 3rd rounder to the Isles for Andrey Pedan. Pedan's stats: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=130563

Big d-man with a mean streak, but he's behind quite a few players in the Isles depth chart.

I don't get this, Mallet ain't going to make it so that was just a contract shuffle but a 3rd rounder for Pedan? An EHL guy plus he's Russian likely to go home and make more money there then wait it out here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:18 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Mallet and a 3rd rounder to the Isles for Andrey Pedan. Pedan's stats: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=130563

Big d-man with a mean streak, but he's behind quite a few players in the Isles depth chart.

I don't get this, Mallet ain't going to make it so that was just a contract shuffle but a 3rd rounder for Pedan? An EHL guy plus he's Russian likely to go home and make more money there then wait it out here.

Mallet doesn't sound like anything special. Pedan has very good potential- Isles are, believe it or not, very deep in D prospects these days. So they're willing to part with them in order to bring back some picks. They don't have many picks this year due to moves (Vanek, etc). So the Isles get a pick, and the Canucks get a decent D prospect. As for him going home to Russia, that's always a risk, but if you say it too often you sound like Don Cherry. So avoid that. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:20 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Mallet doesn't sound like anything special. Pedan has very good potential- Isles are, believe it or not, very deep in D prospects these days. So they're willing to part with them in order to bring back some picks. They don't have many picks this year due to moves (Vanek, etc). So the Isles get a pick, and the Canucks get a decent D prospect. As for him going home to Russia, that's always a risk, but if you say it too often you sound like Don Cherry. So avoid that. :lol:

think the pick is in 2016 but either year I still don't see how an EHL player = a 3rd rounder.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:25 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

think the pick is in 2016 but either year I still don't see how an EHL player = a 3rd rounder.

Pedan was set down to the ECHL due to the Isles depth at D. I know a lot of Isles fans are pissed about him being traded.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:00 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:36 pm 

absolutely monstrous hit by Virtanen, well worth checking out

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2015/02/26/the-prospector-jake-virtanen-will-destroy-you-and-everything-you-hold-dear/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:08 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

Wow! love that they were trying to line him up for the hit!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:17 pm 

Really good article on Sven Bertschi, here's hoping for the best.

http://flamesnation.ca/2015/3/3/when-did-the-flames-go-wrong-with-sven-baertschi?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:50 pm 

Ben Hutton out of University of Maine has left a year early to sign with the Nucks. Canucks Army ranks him now as the D prospect.

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/3/16/report-canucks-sign-maine-defenseman-ben-hutton-to-entry-level-contract

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:31 pm 

Comets on a 10 game winning streak and looking like the favorite for their playoffs. Looks good for the future of the Nucks but there is a caveat in that they have some quality AHL journeymen sucking up most of the minutes and not as focused on developing the younger players as I'd prefer.

Still with Markstrom, Corrado, Clandening, Shinkaruk, Grenier and Baertschi all looking like near certain NHL players and with McCann, Virtanen, Cassels, Subban, Hutton, Guance in the 50/50 category this is the deepest prospect pool that I can recall.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:07 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

https://twitter.com/News1130Sports/stat ... 6326363136

Double hip surgery for Demko. Not the greatest thing to hear regarding a promising goalie prospect.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:50 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

saskhab wrote:
https://twitter.com/News1130Sports/status/598140556326363136

Double hip surgery for Demko. Not the greatest thing to hear regarding a promising goalie prospect.
Worked wonders for Lack...

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:51 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

All that barefoot dancing in the driveway took its toll.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:27 am 

Canucks Farm Club to face Kings Farm Club in AHL Calder Cup Finals.

http://www.wmur.com/sports/monarchs-to- ... s/33367146

Alexander Grenier finally starting to emerge as a bonafide power forward.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=134706

Quote:
Grenier is a late bloomer who combines size, skating ability and offensive skill into an nice package. Despite not breaking into the QMJHL until he was 19-years-old, Grenier is surprisingly mobile for his size and has shown steady improvement at the AHL level. He has the vision and offensive ability to either set up a goal or score one himself and has become more effective as he continues to grow into his frame, add strength and use his body effectively.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:38 pm 

Rookies everywhere! but will they stay?

Hutton looks like the 2nd coming of Chris Tanev only a bit better. Has that same poise and puck sense Tanev exhibits but a year ahead in development. As good as he is, he still can't carry the lodestone Sbisa. He's the teams 4th best dman, he'll be staying.

McCann and Virtanen. Both are everything they were drafted for. McCann plays a smart two way game with a really nasty shot and Virtanen just murders people. The kid is really strong. Having said that I hope they both go back to junior. McCann's game is ready but his body is not. At 179 lbs I don't want to see him get hurt. Another year to put on some strength will be good. Virtanen has a man's body but his game is not quite there, kind of lost out there at times and should really be in the AHL. Let them develop and not rush things.

Nice to see Guance get the call up, he had a nice run last spring. Has the size to handle the NHL. Hope he sticks around as Prust is gone for 4-6 weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:44 am 

Love Hutton.

McCann has a team leading 5 goals in 9 games as a rookie. Unreal. His quote after scoring in tonight's game: "it leaves no doubt." Haha. Love the confidence. They simply can't send him down now.

Monday would be Virtanen's 9th game - he would be ineligible for the AHL if they don't burn him through the 9 and would have to go back to Junior which would be a wasted year for all involved, especially when you can clearly see an legitimate 2 way checking role emerging for him.

There is an added caveat in play though. If they keep the kids up - they need to play them on a regular basis and Willy D needs to stop shortening the bench in the third.

If he doesn't intend on rolling 4 lines and playing McCann and Virtanen at least 10-12 minutes a game, there would be no point keeping either of them up. The irony is that he was a 4 line rolling machine last year, much to the teams peril in the the playoffs and he actually needs the kids in the lineup to fill vital roles (offence, physicality and puck moving D).

I nice mix of vets and youth is emerging this season.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:42 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
Love Hutton.

McCann has a team leading 5 goals in 9 games as a rookie. Unreal. His quote after scoring in tonight's game: "it leaves no doubt." Haha. Love the confidence. They simply can't send him down now.

Monday would be Virtanen's 9th game - he would be ineligible for the AHL if they don't burn him through the 9 and would have to go back to Junior which would be a wasted year for all involved, especially when you can clearly see an legitimate 2 way checking role emerging for him.

There is an added caveat in play though. If they keep the kids up - they need to play them on a regular basis and Willy D needs to stop shortening the bench in the third.

If he doesn't intend on rolling 4 lines and playing McCann and Virtanen at least 10-12 minutes a game, there would be no point keeping either of them up. The irony is that he was a 4 line rolling machine last year, much to the teams peril in the the playoffs and he actually needs the kids in the lineup to fill vital roles (offence, physicality and puck moving D).

I nice mix of vets and youth is emerging this season.

Agree with everything you say, I still feel McCann should be left in junior to age a bit more, think he will not have the strength to endure past 40 games but they can't send the teams leading goal scorer down. And damn was that a sweet goal last night.

And great to see Guance get a greasy one for his first. It's interesting that the call up could have been Guance, Grenier or Kenins. I can't recall a time when the Nucks ever had 3 rookie forwards all realistically ready to step into a 4th line roll just waiting on the farm for a chance.

If Shinkaruk continues to play like he has, there are potentially 6 rookies that may play this year. And I mean deservedly play, not just the normal call ups pressed into action before being ready due to several coincidental injuries.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:08 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

Hutton and McCann are locks I reckon. I think Virtanen will stay too, yeah he hasn't scored but man he hits everything and doesn't look to be a liability defensively (this is a team that insists on playing Sbisa after all) and he's the one who was meant to make the team after all.
All things considered pretty happy with the team so far, I know we have all those loser points.....but we have all those loser points!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:17 pm 

and the deed is done, McCann and Virtanen staying with the team.

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/11/1/jake-virtanen-and-jared-mccann-are-vancouver-canucks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:22 pm 
Old Man of the Post

CanuckinOz wrote:
Hutton and McCann are locks I reckon.

Hutton made the team out of camp.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next