OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:32 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Pettersson is the biggest reason the Canucks are winning. He's singlehandedly (well, almost singlehandedly, Boeser is a big factor as well) getting them into the mix. It also helps that a lot of Western teams just don't look that dominant right now.

I still think ol' Shotgun is a waste of time, but whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:10 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
He ain't no Larkin. Av, it would seem that you are on the same page as Green. Looks like Virt will be a healthy scratch tomorrow versus Carolina.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:35 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
He ain't no Larkin. Av, it would seem that you are on the same page as Green. Looks like Virt will be a healthy scratch tomorrow versus Carolina.
Or not. Looks like Green was playing games with him at practice yesterday. Virt's in and he better damn well score.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:20 pm 

Interesting read on the value of tanking. https://canucksarmy.com/2019/01/26/what ... t-tanking/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:54 pm 

The injury bug has resurfaced in Vancouver. In one of the most bizarre and freak accidents ever seen on an ice surface, against the Flyers, Alex Edler gets his stick caught in the skate of Voracek and slams into the ice unprotected face first. He's obviously out with a concussion amongst other things. Hope he's ok.

Baertschi out again (concussion?) and now Thatcher Demko out with a knee injury suffered in practice. Canucks call up 19 year old rookie Mikey Dipietro but if serious, good old trader Jim will have to start working those phone lines again which frightens me beyond the bend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxUUUPDvQjI

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:06 am 

Well that sure was a lucky 4-3 SO win for the Nucks versus the Flames tonight. Pettersson with 2 assists and the shootout winner but Markstrom was the real story. Flames outshoot the Canucks 47-25 and dominate the Canucks for most of the game, especially in the 2nd.

Man, that Flames team is deep and fast and talented - with an amazing D corps. Only real question mark heading into the playoffs will be between the pipes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:08 am 

19 year old Mikey DiPietro gets the nod between the pipes in his first NHL game and proceeds to get lit up like a Christmas tree versus the Sharks (7-2), as Markstrom and Demko were both out with minor injuries. Great player dev there Jimbo. Anywho, 6'4 power forward Zack Macewen also gets his first NHL start on RW, picks up an assist and looked pretty good all things considered.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:33 pm 

They had, like, six weeks or something between the time they lost McKenna to waivers and when both Demko and Markstrom got injured to get a #3 goalie. And as they just proved by flipping a 7th rounder today for Marek Mazenec, it's ridiculously easy to find one. Just further proof that Benning has no frickin' clue what he's doing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:44 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
They had, like, six weeks or something between the time they lost McKenna to waivers and when both Demko and Markstrom got injured to get a #3 goalie. And as they just proved by flipping a 7th rounder today for Marek Mazenec, it's ridiculously easy to find one. Just further proof that Benning has no frickin' clue what he's doing.
Correct. He's pretty good at drafting - that's it. Takes a hell of a lot more to build a winner than that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:33 pm 

Hockey Dipshit posted an article about how Jay Feaster drafted well for the Flames but did just about everything else wrong. Kinda applies, no?

But I don't think you'll see the right guy put in there until Aquilini is somehow removed from his position of power. But hey...I think it's entirely possible that the Holy Trinity of Pettersson, Boeser, and Hughes along with a hopefully healthy Thatcher Demko may actually overcome anything the rest of the league and Jim Benning can throw at them.

I suppose the one thing Benning has done right (apart from drafting, which he doesn't get full credit for) is hiring the right coach. You get that one right, a lot of everything else falls into place pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:12 pm 

I'd suggest he doesn't get credit for Green because Desjardin for 3 years is also on his resume. The two decisions sort of balance out in my mind.

One thing I am finally willing to give him credit for is Virtanen. I hated the pick at the time, thought Erhler was the better choice and if not him then Nylander. Good article from Canucks Army that lays out Jake's growth and reasonable potential to grow into a solid 2nd line player. Turning a #6 pick into a solid 2nd player is not the ideal we want as a fans, but is a reasonably good pick.

Quote:
In the roughest of terms, there are approximately 93 top-line forwards, 186 top-six forwards, and 279 top-nine forwards in the NHL at any given time. Based on those unscientific metrics, Jake Virtanen is still putting up points at a solid middle-six pace despite his ice-cold January—and despite the fact that his quality of linemates remains inconsistent at best.

https://canucksarmy.com/2019/02/13/shot ... -stand-up/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:54 pm 

Now that I've moved from a negative to a slight positive on Virtanen I started rethinking my opinion of Benning. His handling of trades, contracts, acquisition of free agents is horrible. And I've been opposed to his position on striving on for the playoffs vs. tanking and the need to sell off vets for more draft picks. I think he's horrible at all of this but really I don't follow other teams closely enough to know whether he is bottom 10%, bottom 40% or bottom 80%. It does seem like there a lot of other really bad GM's in the league so maybe he's not as bad as I perceive.

However its entirely possible that he can be really bad at all of these things and so good at drafting that it more than compensates for all his other deficiencies.

2014 - Virtanen, McCann, Demko, Tryamkin.........McCann kinda meh but at 200+ games that is not a bad pick.
2015 - Boeser, Gaudette with Briesbois and Jasek still hopeful
2016 - Juolevi still projecting as 3/4 dman, not great for a #5 pick but if he gets to that point its a positive.
2017 - Pettersson, will probably be okay. Kole Lind, and Palmu seem like good picks and DiPetro was a great pick.
2018 - Hughes seems like he's everything hoped for and possibly more. Jett Woo seems to be progressing nicely.

That's a very strong list, and probably a player or two not mentioned will surprise and make the NHL.

Hopefully as the group ages and cap becomes a problem Benning will hire himself a good right hand to manage contracts and cap. Or perhaps the restrictions of the cap will force him to make better decisions. Even if it doesn't his drafting maybe so damn good that it makes up for everything else he does badly. After all drafting and coaching is probably 80-90% of what it takes for an organization to be successful.

I guess this is my way of grudgingly admitting I've become a Benning fan.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:27 am 

Go figure, two previously accursed GMs in Benning and Bergevin have seemingly found their way.

Meanwhile the guy I rated as the best GM in the league in my blog trades for the equivalent of a locker room mascot.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:52 pm 

Canucks get the well-traveled Ryan Spooner for Sam Gagner. Yay. Bad contract for bad contract.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:59 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Canucks get the well-traveled Ryan Spooner for Sam Gagner. Yay. Bad contract for bad contract.
Like why bother? Buh-bye Macewen.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:52 pm 
Big in Japan

Two deadline moves:

Gudbranson to PIT for Tanner Pearson
Dahlen to SJ for Linus Karlsson

Shame about Dahlen not working out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:39 pm 

Interesting game between the Avs and Nucks last night. I don't think it was total dominance by the Avs but the Canucks definitely got bailed out by Markstrom last night. He played a pretty superb game, but thankfully so did Semyon Varlamov.

An intriguing side-note: During one of the intermission interviews one of the players...I think it was Rantanen...said their goalie coach said Markstrom is weak on his glove side and to focus their shots on there if they can. Sure enough, I'm fairly certain every puck that got past him except for the MacKinnon one-timer beat him on that glove side. That counts the Rantanen one-timer, Rantanen's backhand in the shootout, and Carl Soderberg's game-winning shot that actually hit him in the glove before going in. I guess maybe that's why Markstrom went from can't-miss goaltending prospect to career backup.

CONVERSELY...someone in Vancouver's scouting department should get a slap, because it's clear the shooters were told to go low and try to beat Varly five-hole, which didn't work. The only shooter to get it past him was of course, Brock Boeser, who roofed it perfectly.

Interesting to watch a Canucks game with no Gudbranson or Edler in sight.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:04 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Hey Nuckers noticed the game is at 6pm your time. thought I would throw in a reminder.

Leafs have been having issues starting the game on time of late so the first could be the best period for you to watch.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:17 pm 
Big in Japan

Quinn Hughes signs his entry-level deal in VAN. The way people are talking about him, he has the potential to be an impact defenceman now and an elite one down the road.

Canucks also dipped into the NCAA UFA market, adding Princeton alum Josh Teves. RHD.

Nucks have had success with NCAA defencemen: Troy Stetcher (UFA) and Ben Hutton (late pick) are both around.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:28 pm 

Don't forget Chris Tanev, another US collegiate player.

And Stetcher is actually pretty remarkable. A legit top pairing dman, gets no notice around the league just like Tanev for his first 4-5 years, and just like Tanev I don't think anyone in the organization or fan base realize what a find stetcher was or how high his upside would be.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next