OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:32 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Holy crap... 2 for 2 so far on the PP... :shock: 7 of their last 14 PPs... :wth: 4-1 Cannots... :viking:

Brockstar on pace to eclipse Bure's rookie season. 2 goals so far already...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:07 pm 

Can we play the Pens every night? 4-2 previously, and 5-2 tonight. boeser with 11 goals, 21 points in 20 games I believe. Going to be an 80 point, 40 goal season for sure. lol.

Not really but a 20 goal, 50 point season seems pretty likely at this point and that is a damn fine rookie year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:55 am 
Old Man of the Post

I'd settle for playing every game in Pennsylvania...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:35 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Not to throw sand at the Canuck love fest - but you have to wonder what's happening with Jake and this organization. He's averaging under 10 minutes a game and seems to be held to a higher standard than others by Green regarding mistakes and overall defensive play. He has now played a full NHL season and has 19 points in 83 games with muted ice time. Will they settle for a 3rd or 4th line checking role energy guy at this stage? Green wants Virtanen to hit and make something happen every shift. He seems to at least have found a temporary home with the twins but certainly not living up to his 4th overall 1st round billing and the Sedins are in final year.

https://www.nhl.com/player/jake-virtanen-8477937

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:18 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Not to throw sand at the Canuck love fest - but you have to wonder what's happening with Jake and this organization. He's averaging under 10 minutes a game and seems to be held to a higher standard than others by Green regarding mistakes and overall defensive play. He has now played a full NHL season and has 19 points in 83 games with muted ice time. Will they settle for a 3rd or 4th line checking role energy guy at this stage? Green wants Virtanen to hit and make something happen every shift. He seems to at least have found a temporary home with the twins but certainly not living up to his 4th overall 1st round billing and the Sedins are in final year.

Ehlers/Nylander both were so far beyond Jake in advanced stats even I could see it. But they went for the big boy. However as much as I detested the pick, Boeser was truly excellent and Elias Petterson is the most exciting pick since the twins. Kid is leading the Swedish elite league in points. He's crazy good. So I've forgiven Benning a lot for that Jake pick.

Jake needs to go back to Utica, and be allowed to learn how to dominate if he can.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:40 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:

Ehlers/Nylander both were so far beyond Jake in advanced stats even I could see it. But they went for the big boy. However as much as I detested the pick, Boeser was truly excellent and Elias Petterson is the most exciting pick since the twins. Kid is leading the Swedish elite league in points. He's crazy good. So I've forgiven Benning a lot for that Jake pick.

Jake needs to go back to Utica, and be allowed to learn how to dominate if he can.
Would seem Benning learned a tough lesson from the Virt pick in subsequent years by going with speed & skill picks. Hopefully it's just a case of steep learning curve for Jake rounding into a power forward / energy guy and not hockey intelligence (although word on the street is that he needs constant attention). It's very difficult bringing that style of play every night. He could have learned a lot from Burrows this year unfortunately. Agreed. Send him back to Utica.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:43 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Would seem Benning learned a tough lesson from the Virt pick in subsequent years by going with speed & skill picks. Hopefully it's just a case of steep learning curve for Jake rounding into a power forward / energy guy and not hockey intelligence (although word on the street is that he needs constant attention). It's very difficult bringing that style of play every night. He could have learned a lot from Burrows this year unfortunately. Agreed. Send him back to Utica.

Ironic that this team spent what - three years paying Benning to learn the GM job and now in his final year, may be cutting him loose after he's only now just re-stocked the prospect pool as well as anyone in the role has done for Vancouver.

Petterson, Dahlen, Juolevi, Demko, Goldobin, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, DiPietro, Boucher, Holm, McEneney... Not saying they are all going to be NHL regulars but...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:18 pm 
Big in Japan

Derek Dorsett announces his retirement. Wasn't able to recover from neck surgery.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:43 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Derek Dorsett announces his retirement. Wasn't able to recover from neck surgery.

As usual Benning muffed this contract, too long, too much money for a 4th liner but I really did grow fond of Dorsett. Definitely a guy who gave it his all.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:02 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Damn. Right when he was playing some of his best hockey too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Has Edler always been this dirty? I swear tonight’s the third time this year alone he’s followed a guy into the boards and drilled him right in the numbers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:03 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Has Edler always been this dirty? I swear tonight’s the third time this year alone he’s followed a guy into the boards and drilled him right in the numbers.

No, definitely not when he started out, he actually needed a bit more edge when he started. I'd agree he's gotten a bit more so over the years but not that I've seen anything like what you are describing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:00 am 
Old Man of the Post

I think he's lost a step or two. He definitely seems to be behind his check a lot these days...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:04 am 
Old Man of the Post

Nice pass by Goldy to spring Boeser for what turned out to be the game-winner in Nashville. Hopefully, Goldobin gets another chance to play with Bo and Brock on Saturday night against the Leafs...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:53 pm 

Did anyone else notice on Daniel's PPG and 1000th career point -- when Boeser received the pass in his usual Ovie PP spot, 2 Predators went over to cover him, leaving Daniel wide open in the slot. Would seem that teams are scouting his shot which creates space for others. Now only if the team actually had another shooter.....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:31 pm 

Now only if the team actually had another shooter.....

Fans :roll:

We finally get one legit goal scorer and the season is barely 1/4 over and now we gripe about not having two! :P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:44 am 

Fogghorn wrote:

We finally get one legit goal scorer and the season is barely 1/4 over and now we gripe about not having two! :P
:lol: Ad hominem.
Deprivation thesis. Brock Boeser is a special talent. A legit team needs more than one scoring threat. We're all fans Fogs, in case you hadn't noticed. :P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:59 am 

Fogghorn wrote:

:lol: Ad hominem.
Deprivation thesis. Brock Boeser is a special talent. A legit team needs more than one scoring threat. We're all fans Fogs, in case you hadn't noticed. :P

I know, just couldn't resist taking a shot. :P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:59 am 
King of the One-Liner

Decent chance you have two with that kid in Sweden, I'd focus my dreams and prayers on a bigger need. :lol:

As the last remaining Leafer OTP resident my apologies for the 4 pm local time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:03 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Decent chance you have two with that kid in Sweden, I'd focus my dreams and prayers on a bigger need. :lol:

As the last remaining Leafer OTP resident my apologies for the 4 pm local time.
:lol: The universe according to Toronto. Personally I like the 4pm start. They should do more of them on the west coast.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 24  Next