OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:45 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Only two games in and Travis Green is doing the two most annoying things NHL head coaches do: Bench the hotshot rookie to play it safe, and outright refusing to make any change in the lineup following a win.

Give Green credit, Dorsett actually/surprisingly played well from what I saw. It was the right call even if the fans hated it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:18 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Fogghorn wrote:
Give Green credit, Dorsett actually/surprisingly played well from what I saw. It was the right call even if the fans hated it.

Oh I don't think he'll be a bad coach, but even the best coaches have maddening tendencies. To this day I still blame Joel Quenneville for costing the Avs a playoff spot in his penultimate year as Colorado's head coach.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:46 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Fantastic game against the Stars last night... Cannots not only kept up but really pushed the Stars; bad luck to go into OT and miss out on the extra point. Liking this Travis Green team after 11 games... Gagner with the only goal (first of the season) and Markstrom with a huge game to give his team a chance to tie at the end.

Kudos to Lindenning for assembling this hodge-podge team that can skate and attack, made the Cannots watchable again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:33 pm 

Kind of a fluff piece on Green. They mention one tactical decision he has made that his predecessors were unable or unwilling to do: Play the Twins less.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/wha ... -1.4378383

I guess new goaltending coach Dan Cloutier deserves some props as well thus far.

Lo and behold, Dan effing Cloutier is providing STABILITY to one of the more chaotic goaltending situations in the NHL the last few years.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:04 pm 
OTP Historian

Did you guys watch the Wings-Nucks tilt last night? How'd it go?

Mantha gets no credit on the Frk goal even though he essentially scores it by hitting the Tanev's stick, putting it into the net.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:06 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Did you guys watch the Wings-Nucks tilt last night? How'd it go?

Mantha gets no credit on the Frk goal even though he essentially scores it by hitting the Tanev's stick, putting it into the net.

I saw a good chunk of the 3rd on NHL Network, quite a bit of back-and-forth action, it was pretty close. Vancouver pressed HARD in the final seconds and nearly got it.

Horvat's a friggin' beast. He looked dangerous nearly every time he entered the zone. For a guy who's pretty stout but not huge, he's very good at creating space for himself. Boeser looks like he may very well be the kind of gamebreaker the Canucks can build around, though that might be asking a bit much of him.

For all the praise/hype being lavished on the Golden Showers right now, I'm absolutely stunned at the transformation that's happened in Vancouver. This team actually looks good. And from what I've read this isn't some PDO-driven run that's going to inevitably collapse, their underlying numbers are good as well.

I can't believe I'm typing this, but Jim Benning may actually know what he's doing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:34 pm 

I don't think it has asking too much of Boeser to be considered a future game breaker. The guy's release is phenomenal. Needs to work on being able to let it go while still in stride otherwise goalies will be too tipped off but he is a potential 40 goal guy. Demoko and Pettersson are the other two potential stars for the team.

Horvat is strong and good in all aspects of the game. The guy you want as your number two centre for a Stanley cup challenging team. Hopefully Pettersson can be the number 1.

And yes the Canucks are surprisingly good. Although I still can't forgive Benning for the Gudbranson trade, he seems to be especially good at figuring out 18 years old with potential and drafts really well and very poor at assessing more developed players. Which is weird as it should be the opposite. And his contract management and salary management still sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:56 pm 
Old Man of the Post

The Wings game was far better than the previous one - the Wings looked dangerous throughout and probably deserved the W. Probably.

Fogghorn wrote:
Although I still can't forgive Benning for the Gudbranson trade, he seems to be especially good at figuring out 18 years old with potential and drafts really well and very poor at assessing more developed players. Which is weird as it should be the opposite. And his contract management and salary management still sucks.

After seeing Gudbranson for a few games now, I can see why he's such an analytics pariah - he makes me miss Sbisa. There was a good article on him called the Sunk Cost Fallacy, which I agree with - basically, it posits that for Gudbranson, the strategy should be TRADE > WALK AWAY > RE-SIGN. Ideally, trade him for something, if Benning can't do that, then just walk away, with the worst case scenario being to re-sign him. Juolevi :viking: is starting to heat up, so keeping some options open of D next season would be a good idea.

I've been pleased with how Biega has played (even though last night and the Wings game were not his best), but it looks like he'd be ok for 1 or 2 games at most; Edler is due back so I think that means Biega will return to the press box. Pouliot has been a nice surprise and seems to be doing well in Green's system - Gudbranson hasn't shown to be a good skater or good-decision maker or passer or puck-handler so perhaps his skillset is best-suited to a WD-style game. MDZ looks ok. Been impressed of course with Tanev and Hutton, but Tanev makes everyone he plays alongside look better.

Hutton / Tanev
Edler / MDZ
Gudbranson / Pouliot

Stecher should be back soon, too, I hope. If Benning can unload Gudbranson (FL perhaps?), and Stecher comes back, I'd like to see:

Hutton / Tanev
Edler / Pouliot
MDZ / Stecher
(Biega>Weircioch>Mceneny>etc....)

I think Green's system really cries out for good puck-moving defensemen that can jump up. It won't be the biggest, most physically-imposing group but given Benning's recent history with big lumbering defensemen (trading Pedan, letting Tryamkin walk), maybe he realizes that's not his team overall is suited for. These 15 or so games seems to be bearing that out.

Now, about that PP... :fffffuck:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:44 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I've also been pleasantly surprised with Vanek. He clearly outshone Jagr (who I hoped Benning would sign this summer) last night, and has actually been pretty reliable. Not great defensively but a nice weapon to have on a second or third line.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:56 pm 

Hutton gets so little credit and he is easy to forget about. He's just in his third season and he is so dependable. A bit like Tanev that he really doesn't stand out in any exceptional way other than that you just don't notice him making bone headed plays.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:25 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I can't believe Tanev is 28 already... He and Edler are the elder statesmen on that blueline.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:21 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Is there really a Panic Button when no one really thought this team would go anywhere before this season began? They played a better game against the Sharts than they did against the Ducks, and tonight face the Kings. This is going to be ugly... Again. 6-2 Kings.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:19 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Is there really a Panic Button when no one really thought this team would go anywhere before this season began? They played a better game against the Sharts than they did against the Ducks, and tonight face the Kings. This is going to be ugly... Again. 6-2 Kings.

Chris Tanev!!!!! damn guy is screwing up my hopes for a #1 draft pick. Without him Benning doesn't look nearly as smart.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:08 pm 
Old Man of the Post

In spite of an early Markstromesque softie, much better luck last night than against the Sharts. They played very well in the final two periods and were rewarded for it.

Botchford's Provies

Pouliot continued to impress (Pedan who?) and looked great with Edler. When they return, could the D be:
Edler / Pouliot
Hutton / Tanev
MDZ / Stecher
(Gudbranson/Biega/etc.)

Gagner is turning out to be a lower-profile Eriksson - brought in to score, hasn't done much, but bc of his lower salary, isn't getting the heat that Loui has been.
I'd rather keep and re-sign Vanek; he's not going to win hearts and minds with his two-way play but he's threat to score when he has the puck inside either blueline.
I suppose Sutter has a shutdown role but he's no Ryan Kesler.
Granlund hasn't achieved much...
Burmistrov I can live without...

And the PP went 2-for-3!! I liked the 1-3-1 PP setup with Bo being net front, Boeser in Ovechkin's spot, Danrik cycling around the right faceoff circle, and Edler holding the blueline. Their zone entries still look awkward and predictable as hell but somehow, they made it work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:42 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Interesting subject on Ep. 7 of the C4 podcast: What would you do with Sven Baertschi?

His two-year extension runs out at the end of this year, he's 25 and is currently on a 60-point pace, this season. The trio of Baer, Bo, and Boes are clearly the team's top line, and are as dynamic as most top lines in the NHL. His current contract pays about $1.8M (RFA). Do you re-sign him, trade him, or Anton Rodin him?

Nikolay Goldobin looks ready to make the jump to the NHL next season, but there's no guarantee he'll have chemistry with Boeser and Horvat, and if catches on, it's more likely that they'll put him on a 3rd or 4th line to manage expectations.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:19 pm 
Big in Japan

Sign him! 60 point players don't grow on trees.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:03 pm 

I'd sign him quickly to a moderate AAV before official word of how high the cap is going to rise gets out. He may not be a star in his own right but he's a perfectly good complementary scoring winger.

The big test for Benning will be what he does with NotGoodbranson. There is a ridiculous, inexplicably huge market for him. Even the fucking Leafs have reportedly shown interest. :roll: If he nets a big return on that guy I may have to just shut up about him. But I'm guessing he re-signs the guy and proves his naysayers right.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:16 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
The big test for Benning will be what he does with NotGoodbranson. There is a ridiculous, inexplicably huge market for him. Even the fucking Leafs have reportedly shown interest. :roll: If he nets a big return on that guy I may have to just shut up about him.

There's a certain corner of Canuckland that celebrates toughness and overvalues intangibles and I think that's about the only group that would object if Guds gets Rodined... I agree that the smart play here is to start a bidding war between the Sens (see Jyrki21's cameo at the bottom), Leafs and even the Panthros.

Pokecheque wrote:
But I'm guessing he re-signs the guy and proves his naysayers right.

Bastard.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:17 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Sign, Trade, or Rodin-him: Thomas Vanek. Go.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:55 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Good game last night in Philly. McBoeser with two goals on two shots, PP goes 2/3 and Markie stops 31 of 33 shots on the night.

Pittsburgh tonight. I'm thinking the Pens will play better at home and won't underestimate the B-line...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 24  Next