OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:45 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Very grateful Leafs, ya beat the Wylde.

I think it's safe to say at this point that Auston Matthews is the greatest American hockey player of all time. The only guy who even comes close IMO is Mike Richter.

His 5v5 goal totals are astonishing. Nearly doubling up the next best guy in the league.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:58 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Matthews current peak the last two seasons is by far the best hockey player I have seen in a Leafs uniform and watching since late 70's

There are currently 77 forwards with more PP time per game than him this season. Mostly due to the lower amount of Power play time the leafs see.

His ability to strip the puck with control and rapidly turn it to an offense strike with everyone going the wrong way is a great and rare skill in it's own right

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:20 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Ohhhhh shit, didn't know about this.

https://twitter.com/TSN_Sports/status/1 ... 6964330514

I tell ya what, Dubas has a rep as a rather mellow guy but I think he's pretty fiery behind the scenes. He doesn't make a huge effort to hide his disdain or anger when it's warranted.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:26 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Well the answer from Davidson sounds like one a guilty party would make.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:07 pm 

I'll give Dubas credit--he could've pulled an Andre Savard and made some panic deals in some desperate attempt to save his job, but he didn't. He knows this just isn't an all-in year.

I hope he gets another shot. He's admittedly made some bad mistakes, but he's also run into some absolute horseshit luck during his tenure. Also had to deal with Mike fucking Babcock, who should've been fired a full year before he actually was fired, if not sooner.

We'll see what happens. Frankly I think it's long past time that the Leafs brass make a much bigger swing this offseason. Can't just keep tweaking something that is clearly not working. You have to shake things up. IMO...Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Tavares are legit core players...but, and feel free to slag me for this, I don't think Morgan Rielly is. He reminds me a lot of Sandis Ozolinsh. Not stylistically, but he's that vein of defenseman who generates a ton of offense, but also gives quite a bit of it back with poor defensive play. Ozo was a hell of a player and an integral part of the Avs' first Stanley Cup, but he wasn't a legit #1 defender. And I don't think Rielly is either.

Oh and get a godforsaken goalie, guys.

On a side note, I can't believe I'm saying this because I usually hate the colors black and blue together, and I don't care for Justin Bieber's music in the slightest...but those new jerseys are kinda cool. I even like the whole reversible feature. If you're gonna go, go big.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:37 am 
King of the One-Liner

Liked the black and blue look but reversing to Bruin colours seemed kinda obviously wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:27 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Hounsy wrote:
Liked the black and blue look but reversing to Bruin colours seemed kinda obviously wrong.

The black & blue looked pretty cool, although it was basically a darkened Sharks jersey with a Leafs logo. I immediately thought of the Bruins with the black & gold & wondered how fans would like that. At least the Sharks haven't been an arch rival for close to 100 years.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:46 am 
King of the One-Liner

Was not a big fan of Liljegren's game this season and was thinking he may just not be an NHL'er. Now he is playing with Giordano a few games and he looks like a quality second pair guy for a few games. I guess Giordano is still a pretty good d-man and Liljegren is not as bad as I was making him out to be.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:52 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Was not a big fan of Liljegren's game this season and was thinking he may just not be an NHL'er. Now he is playing with Giordano a few games and he looks like a quality second pair guy for a few games. I guess Giordano is still a pretty good d-man and Liljegren is not as bad as I was making him out to be.

Honestly, he may have been prone to the big mistake now and again (I honestly haven't seen enough to say one way or the other) but his underlying stats are off the charts. Both he and Sandin are legit NHLers, they just gotta polish their respective games a little.

IMO they might be better off without Muzzin, whose game really took a big step back this year. It's possible even before his big injury he wasn't entirely healthy.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:59 pm 

Well, change is coming whether they want it or not. They literally can't walk back the team as is to try again, the cap won't let them.

Frankly I'd keep the front office and coaching the exact same, but find a better solution between the pipes and, I'm just gonna say it, they need to figure something out on defense. You can't have a top defender in Rielly who gives up as much as he gives up defensively. Don't know what the solution is there, but I also don't think you blow it up either.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:47 pm 
Big in Japan

I have no idea if Matt Murray is the answer in goal. His old Soo pals think they can fix him, but he's also had injury trouble lately.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:26 am 

E.L. wrote:
I have no idea if Matt Murray is the answer in goal. His old Soo pals think they can fix him, but he's also had injury trouble lately.

Murray has only ever worked in a tandem situation. Who’s the 1B guy gonna be? Kallgren?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:50 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Murray has only ever worked in a tandem situation. Who’s the 1B guy gonna be? Kallgren?

Samsonov. This is such a risky gambit for a team with Cup aspirations.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:45 pm 
King of Men

Outside of the drama in Calgary...the Leafs win the FA :wtf: award.

I will leave it to you guys to polish that turd!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:18 pm 

Some weird moves for sure but I'll give Dubas credit for going the (VERY) unconventional route.

I deleted my earlier post because I didn't like what it said. Bottom line is that the Leafs were an elite team last season that just didn't quite have the goaltending and timely scoring to outlast the eventual Eastern Conference champs. There shouldn't have to be major moves made (except in goal) to get them deeper into the playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:22 pm 
Big in Japan

Leafs are $4 under the cap!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:20 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Leafs are $4 under the cap!!!

They can sign a bag of chips or a soda but not both. Choices…