OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:23 am 
OTP Historian

Quote:
Would Mike Babcock, who famously refused to play Mike Modano for what would've been his 1,500th game

I needed to look that one up for context because I thought it had been refuted. He was a healthy scratch for the 4th-last game of the season and if he had played all 4 remaining games it would have gotten him to 1500. He also missed like 2 months with injuries that season which certainly didn't help.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/recap/_/gameId/310403005

Quote:
C Mike Modano was a healthy scratch. Modano has played 1,496 games and Detroit has three left. "We didn't bring him here to get 1,500 games," Babcock said. "We brought him to win the Cup. I think he'll be a first-ballot Hall of Famer no matter what."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:56 pm 
King of the One-Liner

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/bab ... good-idea/

I was happy for the change as the team was not responding but was ignoring the trash Babcock talk. But this was a real piece of shit move and certainly makes me understand Marners hardball tactics a little better.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:54 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Bosc wrote:
I needed to look that one up for context because I thought it had been refuted. He was a healthy scratch for the 4th-last game of the season and if he had played all 4 remaining games it would have gotten him to 1500. He also missed like 2 months with injuries that season which certainly didn't help.

Don't know who the 4th line scrub was who played in place of Magic Mike, but were those 5-10 minutes really that integral to Babs and the Wings making the playoffs? Was Modano REALLY that bad off? I know he had pretty horrific-looking surgery at some point but if he was cleared to play was he really that bad of an option!?

And this is coming from a guy who is, as well everyone knows, not a huge Modano fan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:59 pm 

https://www.nhl.com/news/toronto-maple- ... -311760768

Kerfoot gets two games. That's fair, though I still would've preferred he get a major at the time for that hit. If you're trying to get that kind of hit out of hockey...why not just make the call, especially now that you can "review" major penalties!?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:53 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
https://www.nhl.com/news/toronto-maple-leafs-forward-alexander-kerfoot-suspended-two-games/c-311760768

Kerfoot gets two games. That's fair, though I still would've preferred he get a major at the time for that hit. If you're trying to get that kind of hit out of hockey...why not just make the call, especially now that you can "review" major penalties!?
Was there no penalty on the play and if not why not? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:21 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
Was there no penalty on the play and if not why not? :roll:

Oh no, there was. Refs called a regular 2:00 minor on it, my point is, that's precisely the type of play that should be considered for a major. You as a ref now have an additional amount of time and video review in order to make the call right. How the hell do you not use it then?

Refs are still too scared to make a big call that helps decide a game, they'd rather DoPS clean things up afterward.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:30 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Agreed - officiating from a position of fear. Bravo NHL bravo. Question: do the refs need more autonomy in the video review process?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:57 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Hounsy wrote:
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/babcock-marner-rookie-incident-ended-not-good-idea/

I was happy for the change as the team was not responding but was ignoring the trash Babcock talk. But this was a real piece of shit move and certainly makes me understand Marners hardball tactics a little better.

"Not a good idea" is a bit of an understatement. Way to get the kid in good with the team!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:20 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/babcock-marner-rookie-incident-ended-not-good-idea/

Seriously piece of shit move. How does someone think that's a good idea?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:23 pm 

Whaddaya know, some stats guys suggested putting Spezza on Tavares's line. Babcock would have NEVER done that, but guess what's happening tonight?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:52 pm 

Well, my last post did not age well.

Jason...what is you doin'!?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:59 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I've been neutral on the soft play as it seemed part of the plan but would now say I have given up on it and would prefer the Leafs lay it out on the other team a bit more. The problem is being a cleaner team in the NHL does not translate to more PP in the NHL as the Refs tend to even out calls and this season it seems like the Leafs are taking more dangerous hits and starting to think it is because the opposition knows the standard in that game has been dropped. Anyway rambling but end of the day starting to think raising the total penalties being called in your game may be safer for your players in the long run. Oh and if the Leafs special teams are flying now anyway with the new coach why not invite having them out more.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:00 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
I've been neutral on the soft play as it seemed part of the plan but would now say I have given up on it and would prefer the Leafs lay it out on the other team a bit more. The problem is being a cleaner team in the NHL does not translate to more PP in the NHL as the Refs tend to even out calls and this season it seems like the Leafs are taking more dangerous hits and starting to think it is because the opposition knows the standard in that game has been dropped. Anyway rambling but end of the day starting to think raising the total penalties being called in your game may be safer for your players in the long run. Oh and if the Leafs special teams are flying now anyway with the new coach why not invite having them out more.

Was talking to my Dad about even vs. fair officiating. Drives me fucking crazy. An evenly called game is not necessarily a fairly-called game and an evenly-called game can be very official-influenced, as opposed to what the refs and NHL think. It's how the fucking Ducks won the Cup.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:51 pm 

Refs in any given league are way, way overly paranoid of being perceived as biased one way or another. They're also super-paranoid of influencing the game one way or another. The culture there needs to change, but the league also can't just tacitly approve of them and come out with blanket statements like "Our refs are the best in sports" and then secretly punish them behind closed doors.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:10 pm 

I don't know about in Canada, but in the US we have a serious referee shortage. Nobody wants to do it because they get harassed. I wanted to have Miss18.1 start to ref games as a way of skating and earning some good money (for a high school/college kid). No way would I want her subjected to the abuse coaches and parents yell at refs.
I know, youth sports and pro leagues are very different, but eventually this shortage is going to hit higher level leagues and less experienced refs will be in the pro ranks. So it is related. Parents, coaches, players and fans all need to shut the hell up and let refs be human, unless it's a safety issue.

And I agree completely that even isn't necessarily fair. A team losing a game often commits more infractions out of frustration, or trying to slow a better team down. They should be penalized for it, regardless of the score. Some players are also just assholes and should be thrown in the box for shit they do, again, regardless of the score or penalty count.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:31 am 

There's always been a push from some to have refs answer the rationale behind their calls to the media. Personally I think that's madness. The harrassment they likely already get would increase a million fold if that were to happen.

I do think though that it'd be nice to see some behind-the-scenes stuff. I know at some point there was a video posted of a baseball game where the ump basically explained his rationale behind a call, and it was really insightful. The umpire came out looking great, but for some weird reason MLB freaked the fuck out about it and yanked it down quicker than a drunk guy on stage at the strip club.

At the behest of my father I attended a ref's clinic and it was one of the most boring experiences of my life. I flunked the test afterward and frankly never pursued it again. I would've been a terrible ref anyway--I get distracted very easily and don't really have much of an eye for detail. I'm pretty thin-skinned as well--I'd be throwing people in the box the very moment they started jawing at me. :lol:

Anyway...the Leafs find themselves in a pretty good spot. They're in 2nd in the Atlantic and might even ahead of the Bruins if not for the stupid goddamned loser point (though I guess the Avs would've missed the playoffs entirely two years ago if not for that, so there ya go). 8-1-1 in their last 10. The pundits said they needed to go on a crazy run to get things back on track...and so they did.

Also, Willie Nylander is apparently shutting up everyone who said he should've been traded and that he's not worth his contract. Good for him.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:27 am 

I'd like to see refs at the pro level have to answer for certain calls/non-calls. I am making this idea up right now, so it will probably be fraught with problems, but I like the idea of a coach being able to call a ref to the carpet like once every 20 games. So it can't be all the time, which the likes of Torts would try to do. But quarterly likely wouldn't be abused. And if you go 20 games without doing it, you lose that one, like a timeout. But make the refs answer to the media now and then. And if you see a particular ref getting called out after every 4th game they ref, then you know that one has a problem. Unless they can explain everything away really well...

Imagine if Kerry Fraser had to answer to Leafs fans after not calling Gretzky for the high stick? It would be great theater. And let's face it, that's what sports really are; old school reality TV. (Like how I tried to work this back around to the Leafs, after we high-jacked the hell out of this thread? :lol: )

I'm glad for Nylander. But I hope he and his teammates shit the bed tonight. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:26 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Backup in tonight for the Leafs. Odd but guess you are always one injury from him starting so test him out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:09 am 

Hounsy wrote:
Backup in tonight for the Leafs. Odd but guess you are always one injury from him starting so test him out.

I think he did okay.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:55 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

I think he did okay.

He had an 0.883 save % going in. It's certainly higher now! He was great.

I'm just glad Tavasshole didn't get a point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next