OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:01 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Yer slackin' Craig!

Fun game tonight against the Stars.

Auston Matthews already has seven(!!!) goals on the year in four games.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:15 am 
King of the One-Liner

Figured people are hearing enough about the Leafs as it is.

Yeah the offense is incredible the own zone play is lacking. The stacked powerplay is so far hilariously too good.

What I liked about the Dallas game is the juggling of lines looked to really make a difference. Yeah they gave up four goals but they where noticeably a much better team in Dallas than they where in the first few games of the season and Dallas flat out can score as well.

Kapanen has now been given a shot with Matthews and has really looks to be capitalizing all be it two games. He is being a dog on the puck, fast, and at the end of it all understands to just get the puck to Matthews if you can. Oh haha Rielly tied for league lead in points with Matthews. I mean good offensive D-man and all but getting to touch the puck on that powerplay unit is instant points. Kadri will get his chance soon teams are going to have to collapse more on Tavares in front and the cross pass to Matthews leaving Kadri open in the slot will be my guess.

Anyway whirlwind start on offense and it will not keep pace...but neither will the goals against.

Oh off topic but man I like Radulov.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:13 am 
King of the One-Liner

The Leafs had an easy schedule to start the season and now enter a tough stretch with caps, Kings, pens, blues, and Jets X2.
Hopefully they tighten up a bit, they are not constructed to crush it on D but even for them they have been exceptionally weak on D.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:40 am 

Not sure if the Kinks are all that but yeah kind of a tough stretch.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:40 am 
King of the One-Liner

Sparks getting the start tonight against the Kings. Management put their trust in him and suspect he feels some pressure to deliver on that trust. Big start for him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:31 am 
King of the One-Liner

Another win but with a more traditional score 4-1 over kings. Kapanen with a pair and Matthews like a total loser had no goals and only Assist. Yes the goal scoring last few games has come down as expected but so has the goals against so all is good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:31 am 
King of the One-Liner

7-3 in the games since Matthews went down and he may be back this weekend, so all is going well. Tavares and Marner have been rolling and then night to night one or two of the other lines finds a way to chip in. Curious to see who sits with Matthews return as they all deserve to stay on the ice...guess it is likely the Goat. Andersen is the big difference playing like a Vezina candidate, but goalies are part of the team so it counts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:03 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Marner may now be the best setup guy in the league. They talked about it last night and I admit to being one of the guys that said it before but watching him in the OHL was impressive but thought he could never play like that in the NHL, yet here he is playing like that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:20 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Matthews back tonight! Pretty cool that they can be a top five team in the league with Matthews out for over half the games and Nylander a no show. Guess they are a good team for reals.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:46 am 
Big in Japan

That Marner goal with the replacement stick was unreal. Dude is in the early Hart conversation.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:44 pm 

Dellow has a piece on The Athletic that highlights an interesting, albeit minor, issue with this year's edition of the Leafs. They have a fantastically overloaded power play, yet actually don't draw that many penalties. The good news is that they commit even fewer so they're on the plus-side of that particular equation. This is apparently nothing new when compared to other teams Lou Lamoriello had a hand in building, but is particularly surprising when compared to teams Babcock has coached.

Dellow doesn't reach a definitive conclusion as to why the Leafs just don't get calls, though he speculates one reason may be that they just don't have that irritant-type player like Matthew Tkachuk or...well...Darcy Tucker who obviously commit a lot of penalties, but also draw them, not only in retaliation, but also because NHL refs tend to look for the "makeup call," which in short might mean Toronto is too "clean," even with a guy like Nazem Kadri stirring the drink from time to time.

Either way, doesn't sound like a huge problem at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:58 pm 
King of the One-Liner

They play low conflict games and have a feared PP so they get low PP chance and as well they are a very fast so do not need to take penalties getting back in the play as much.

LOL They average 5:39 PIM per game. The next lowest is 7:04. Just give the whole team the Lady bing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:37 pm 
OTP Historian

Shane Doan made a fucking career(at least the later years) making the types of stupid late hits Hyman got suspended for.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:23 am 
King of the One-Liner

Marner's reaction to bouncing it in when he is trying to set up Tavares or Matthews for the Hatty. It is all fun and games when up by four late in a game.

https://www.nhl.com/video/marner-scores ... c-64135803

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:26 am 
King of the One-Liner

Marner's reaction to bouncing it in when he is trying to set up Tavares or Matthews for the Hatty. It is all fun and games when up by four late in a game.

https://www.nhl.com/video/marner-scores ... c-64135803

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:19 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Apparently as a Leaf fan I am outraged that Marner will not make the All Star tourney.

Haha. Do the players even want to go?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:23 pm 

The Curse of Calvin Pickard, as someone on Twitter pointed out, strikes again!

In Colorado, he gets selected by Vegas in the expansion draft. Colorado deals with injuries to both their goalies and finish their brief postseason run with the guy they got as a throw-in from the Duchene deal.

In Vegas, he promptly gets waived and then dealt, Vegas then gets so banged up they have to rely on their 4th string goaltender at one point.

And now that he's not in Toronto anymore...injuries befall both goalies, prompting a double call-up. He's wreaking unintentional havoc in his wake!

Guess we'll see what happens in Philly, though it's not like things could get much worse for their goalies as is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:56 pm 
King of the One-Liner

What the Hell with the afternoon game on Thursday Jan 3rd? at least I missed a loss.

Did not know Sparks was under concussion protocol. mid season and I guess I am just not tuned in.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:18 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
What the Hell with the afternoon game on Thursday Jan 3rd? at least I missed a loss.

Did not know Sparks was under concussion protocol. mid season and I guess I am just not tuned in.

https://www.nhl.com/mapleleafs/info/next-gen-game

They called this the "Next Gen Game," some kind of promotion that's geared toward introducing kids to the game of hockey, hence the weekday matinee. Seems like a neat idea, I wouldn't be opposed to the Avs trying this someday.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:59 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Next Gen game!?!?

I'm 47 win a cup in my lifetime before you worry about other generations.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next