OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:17 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Hmph. Bit of a slump. Not panic time by any means but this team would be in big trouble right now if not for Auston Matthews.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:52 pm 
King of the One-Liner

When he is on the ice they dominate the puck and any other time it is a tire fire in their own end.

No need to panic the California road trip is never easy for Eastern teams, but if it keeps up they may need to try and break up Mathews and Nylander to spread out their mojo to others.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:37 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Matthews a game time decision tonight. Maybe good timing for others to realize they can and should play better with or with out the star in the line up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:39 pm 
OTP Historian

Mitch Marner, a great game, and why single-game shot attempt or even scoring chance stats are not always an accurate indicator of how well a player played(in other words, what a lot of stat people like to say as a word of caution but msm guys love jump on as an example of why they suck).

https://theathletic.com/202082/2018/01/ ... -untruths/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:03 am 

Interesting game tonight, I only caught bits and pieces of it. Not many goals but the ones that were scored were highlight reel-worthy.

How did Dermott look?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:57 am 
King of the One-Liner

Watched at a party so was not focused but thought Dermott was good in the sense that he was not noticeable and only once in my mind went "oopps" over something he did but what ever it was I do not remember now so must of not been of the "WHAT THE ?!!?" Gardiner variety.

PS. Not saying Gardiner is awful, just sometime he makes some crazy boneheaded moves for an NHL D-man.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:21 am 

Have to say I don't think Babs is doing a good job of coaching right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:28 pm 
King of the One-Liner

He is still short a couple of reliable D and has a line with Bozak - JVR - Marner that while dangerous with the puck is a gong show with out it, so he I can see the obsession with chasing match ups.

Though what I hate to see is when you are at home and have Matthews in your line up you put him out to start the overtime he is good at draws and it is 3 on 3 and time to go for it not draw it out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:23 pm 

The fact he was told Komarov played 24 minutes a few nights ago and he refused to believe it is not a good sign.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:22 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Pokecheque wrote:
The fact he was told Komarov played 24 minutes a few nights ago and he refused to believe it is not a good sign.

Just short of seven minutes of that was shorthanded and then ES he is matching Thorton and Pavalski you can't really look at a one off 24 minutes game as a thing unless it is a common thing. Mathews is the ice time leader for forwards and gets 1:50 more per game on average than Leo and spends no time on the PK. I have no problem with him holding back the times of Marner and Nylander as they do not have the complete game to hand a ton of ice to just on offensive skill RW alone.

I just don't think even strength Ice time means that much and should be similar across three lines if you have depth. Special team ice time is where you make up your skill usage and checking usage.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:47 pm 

Well it is a thing when, compared with other players of his caliber, AM34 is waaaaaaay down the list in terms of minutes played. At this point he should be double-shifted as much as possible. And Komarov for whatever reason has hit a wall. He was brought aboard to be a defensive forward, and he's not getting the job done.

I don't think everything would get magically better if Komarov were stapled to the bench and Auston Matthews suddenly got vaulted into Suter-like minutes, but in terms of player usage, Babcock isn't making things better, he's making them worse, and he refuses to change a thing, even though I'm fairly confident the analytics team is telling him otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:50 pm 
King of the One-Liner

When you look at even strength Matthews ice time is not as bad as it is currently being made out to be in the controversy starved Leaf media . Then factor in that he does not penalty kill and the Leaf team draws the least amount of PP time in the league and his total time becomes waaaay below others. Heck they can't even really force his PP time up as the Bozak - Marner - JVR group is better at the power play than the Matthews one.

Komarov has no direct influence on Matthews ice time unless you want to use Matthews on the PK. For him it is him or Brown who you can interchange or bring up Kapanan. but then who do you waive....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:22 pm 

I still think Komarov is getting too much time for a guy whose game is looking very bad right now. Mirtle had an idea of making Connor Brown a center and maybe using him in a larger checking role. It wouldn't hurt.

Overall, this team is built for "fun, but dumb" hockey, to steal a quote from Babcock himself. Babcock's response has been to try and play a more conservative game and I'm not sure that's the way to go. And FFS, Polak is just seeing WAY too much ice. I understand there are injuries, but come on...

The one thing I'm not buying into is the notion that either Nylander or Marner have to go in order to get a blueline upgrade. They should at least wait until Zaitsev is back and Dermott is playing a regular role before deciding they need to swing a deal.

The Danish goalie called out the team after last night's loss. We'll see if it has any effect. For sure though, AM34 seems a bit off since coming back from injury.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:14 pm 

4-2 loss to the Avs last night. Avs were absolutely dominant in the 1st but the Leafs regrouped and made it a game. The fourth line of Martin-Gauthier-Marner got absolutely annihilated last night, so much so that the Leafs apparently have demoted Gauthier and recalled Kapanen. The silver lining to all this is that Babs appears to be liking Dermott more and more. He played roughly 20 minutes last night and in key situations.

And yes, I agree with pretty much everyone else--that goal review was bullshit. As Mike Johnson on NHL Network said, it's asinine to imply a player can't go after a loose puck in the crease. Even Bednar's explanation afterwards seemed a bit disingenuous. There needs to be a serious re-clarification over what is and what isn't goaltender interference. All I'll say in the Avs' defense is that it's about effing time one of these goal reviews goes in their favor.

I also dug this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:32 am 

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/961418182681645056

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:04 pm 
Big in Japan

Montreal sports talk radio this morning was basically an infomercial directed at Mike Babcock about the merits of Shea Weber.

Who wants an ageing mountain man with a canon from the point?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:25 pm 
King of the One-Liner

The Leafs seem pretty disciplined about contract length and player age relative to core, do not thing they would see Weber as a fit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:40 pm 
OTP Historian

Weber's salary isn't batshit insane anymore... 6 6 6 6 3 1 1 1

but that's a scary long time to carry a $7,857,143 cap hit on a 32-year old defenseman.

Budget team that has no interest in spending to the cap?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:14 pm 

I always forget...who gets hit with the cap recapture penalty if he retires early?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:51 am 
King of the One-Liner

Bosc wrote:
Weber's salary isn't batshit insane anymore... 6 6 6 6 3 1 1 1

but that's a scary long time to carry a $7,857,143 cap hit on a 32-year old defenseman.

Budget team that has no interest in spending to the cap?

You know when you look at it that way when it gets to 3 he might be easily moved to a team wanting to pad their cap number.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next