OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:43 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl ... niel-sedin

The NHL is a fucking joke. That was a blind side hit on Daniel, head was principle point of contact - he arguably left his feet and sized him up from 3 miles away. It met all the criteria of suspendible hit, except for the fact that, well - it was a Leaf player.

Virtanen got 2 games for the exact same hit last year. I'm too lazy to find the source but look it up, it's pretty clear.

Of course, Canuck fans are going to come off whiny conspiracy theorists, but if you've followed this market since day one like I have, it is hard to argue there is a strong bias towards certain teams and special status given to certain markets with strong ties to the league. The rules are phrased ambiguously enough to allow the league to do pretty much do whatever the fuck they want. The corruption of the NHL stinks to high heaven.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:21 pm 
Big in Japan

Looking at it now it's pretty clear Kadri left his feet a bit and put up his elbow.

I missed it over the week but had heard from various analysts that it was a clean hit with an unfortunate result. Looks pretty illegal to me.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/naze ... iel-sedin/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:23 pm 

Oh and Hansen put on IR due to Reilly hit.

Diminished respect between players is a league wide problem.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:31 pm 
King of the One-Liner

My problem with blindside hits like that is it is so hard to control point of contact as the hitter even if the head is not it as they are claiming in this case, they should just ban blindside as predatory and be done with it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:48 pm 

The wording of the rule needs to be changed. Players are getting wise to it - it's too ambiguous which is exactly how the league wants it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:53 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Logical Progression wrote:
The wording of the rule needs to be changed. Players are getting wise to it - it's too ambiguous which is exactly how the league wants it.

Leave it so stars don't have to be suspended.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:10 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

It's like they put in the Matt Cooke rule and then kinda backed off of it, now they're circling back again. Make up your fucking mind, NHL.

I agree that under the rules, Kadri doesn't deserve a suspension, but the rules need to be changed.

On a side note, the Leafs finally found their post-Grabovski shutdown guy. While the hit and other subsequent pest-stuff kinda overshadowed it, Kadri has made a remarkable transformation into a defensive forward.